Roll Bar Clamp for Seatbelt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am installing a oem roll bar and do not want to drill a hole in the main loop to attached the seatbelt. Is there a clamp I can use, sorta like the one attached? I can get a longer bolt on one side and attached the seatbelt to that.

Thanks

aaf-all14481.jpg

The stock roll bar used a bracket weld on the base of the main bar for the retractable part of the seat belt and one of the two bolts the clamp for the side bars as an anchor point at the top. Believe someone sells a kit that uses one the four bolts at the base to hold a seat belt bracket and uses one of the bolts on the side bar clamp like the ones used on roll bar with seat belts.

Moving roll bars around I found out by accident the later main bar is heavier gauge metal. There is also a forth bolt in the clamp on each side. That bolt goes thru the main bar. So the later roll bar was actually beefed up for the seat belts.

Hmmmm, that is great info. I have some research to do tomorrow.

I found this, there is a clip on the bottom and it looks like it is attached to the top of the roll bar as well.

IMG_3510.jpeg

Factory bracket for the retractable part of the seat belt. Plus the four bolts used to clamp the side bar to the main bar.
IMG_20200112_122615907_HDR.jpg

1/76-2/78 US market used this bracket. Attached to the hard top.
IMG_20210406_185306391.jpg

Around the time the seat belt moved to the roll bar another pad was added to cover area side bar attached to the main bar.
IMG_20210406_185353617.jpg

I will probably get ridiculed for this but here is my solution for 3- point retractable belts with an early roll bar without a tab.

IMG_4653.jpeg

IMG_4654.jpeg

I decided to attach it to the top of the roll bar. Works good, finished in the dark, will post a pic in the next few days.

Any photos of how this turned out? I’m kinda looking for the same solution. Did you use the bracket in the original photo you posted?

Whatever you use you want a minimum of an 11mm or 7/16 bolt. Preferably fine thread.

Those clamps you posted probably use a 3/8 bolt

Of the four bolts at base of the roll bar one is a different thread than the other three. This is the one used for the lap belt on the jump seats. Would assume the anchor point at the bottom would require the same DOT bolt.

I have never been able to inspect a 2/78-1/79 main bar to see it is beefier than the main bar up to 2/78. The three roll bars I have that had seat belts are from 79 and 80 FJ40s.

Every time I take the hardtop off I've always thought it was strange/funny that Toyota engineers missed adding factory seatbelt anchor points when the top is removed. I have a 1/78 and with the top on there are anchor points for the upper and lower points of the seatbelt in the hardtop. When the top is removed nada. These are all great solutions above though and I use a combo of all of them.

Every time I take the hardtop off I've always thought it was strange/funny that Toyota engineers missed adding factory seatbelt anchor points when the top is removed. I have a 1/78 and with the top on there are anchor points for the upper and lower points of the seatbelt in the hardtop. When the top is removed nada. These are all great solutions above though and I use a combo of all of them.
On my 09/77, the 3 point belt anchor point just moves from the hard top side to the roll bar when top is removed. It has the bigger 11mm bolt in that spot. I would assume yours does as well.

On my 09/77, the 3 point belt anchor point just moves from the hard top side to the roll bar when top is removed. It has the bigger 11mm bolt in that spot. I would assume yours does as well.
Yes, that is what I do to. It's the retractor portion when the top is off that Toyota engineers forgot about until later. At some point they added a connection point to the rollbar but in 1/78 there was nothing. No biggie, just had to get some aftermarket stuff to make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom