Rods 65 FJ 40 thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So in keeping with doing a " close as possible" restoration of my 65 I would like to remove the locking hubs and go back to OE. So what will I need? I know I'll need the correct hubs but what about bearings, castle nuts, seals... etc. Got a couple of swap meets coming up this year and I need something to look for.

are locking hubs not a showroom option? my selectrics seem old enough.

From experience, if you plan on driving your 40 any long distance, the drive flanges are a real bear on a non-power steering rig. I tried to keep my drive flanges on for a few years to be authentic, but once I tried driving my 25 with Warn hubs, it was like night and day. No more shimmy or wandering on the road, its was faster, and so much better to drive. Less wear and tear on the front axle and t-case as well.

Kepp a set of flanges in the glove box for spares, but stick to lockouts for a truck that gets driven.

So in keeping with doing a " close as possible" restoration of my 65 I would like to remove the locking hubs and go back to OE. So what will I need? I know I'll need the correct hubs but what about bearings, castle nuts, seals... etc. Got a couple of swap meets coming up this year and I need something to look for.

You'll need the coarse drive plates, gaskets, grease caps, shorter bolts with lock washers and indexing dowels, if you're missing them. Everything else remains the same. But like Mike said if you're going to drive you'll miss the freewheel hubs. Nothing wrong with period accessories, the early Warn barrels look great when cleaned up.
122005 (13).JPG

Hubs

Thanks for all the posts, maybe I'll put them in the glove box as suggested. Sounds like I have all the parts with the exception of the gaskets and one set of bolts. Since I will driving this rig a lot (I hope) locking hubs might be the best idea.

As far as a show room option I can remember my brother installing his own locking hubs on a 72 he bought new from the dealer so an option it would have been. And I honestly don't remember if our 66 FJ45 had locking hubs or not, I don't think so. I can remember my Dad cusing it when the green (?) light on the dash wouldn't go out and he wouldn't put it on pavement until it did. Those were the days. A one handed man shifting 3 on the tree all the way to Circle Alaska and back for a quick 2 week vacation! WooHoo:clap:

What I've been up to

Decided to clean up my jack and handles. The jack was taken apart, cleaned then sand blasted and cleaned again. Greased reassembled and painted with 2 coats of masterseries and finally the yellow. Which by the way I think is a little to bright for OE.

Jack 2.JPG

Can anyone tell from the pic below what vintage my locking hubs are from?

locking hub 2.JPG
Jack 2.JPG
locking hub 2.JPG

MANUALS

So I've beenafter the local dealership to sell me their manuals for the 65. No luck but.. My son comes home on leave and says let me make a few calls (he was pretty active in the parts business before joining the Coast Guard). Walla next thing I know he got the manuals for a day and made copies of them for me. Not being sure on what exactly I wanted he copied all they had for the year 65. I was so excited, just love looking through them. They will be invaluable when it comes time to put it back together.

HPIM2604.JPG

HPIM2605.JPG

HPIM2606.JPG
HPIM2604.JPG
HPIM2605.JPG
HPIM2606.JPG

Very cool Rod!!!

BTW...I have the same lock outs, but never really thought about them as my plan was always to put the drive flanges back on...now I am curious to learn more about them...

Ya my plan was for the drive flanges as well but after reading a few posts from those who have been there, I think I'll stay with these since it will be a daily driver. Having the flanges means I can swap them and see for myself if I decide too

Update

It's been a while but I've done a few little things to move the project along. Most recently I started a molasis bath to soak some rusted parts in. They have been in there 6 or 8 weeks and I looked at them today. I was impressed. Since the water temp was 48F I was afraid that the results would be less. I pressure washed the parts and they flash rusted pretty quick so I need to decide how I'm going to deal with that. It's too cold right now it paint so.....

HPIM2636.JPG

I didn't get pics of the items before and after:frown: but I will use this system again without a doubt.

I have some stuff in my scuba stash that i used to stop the flash rust on the inside of a tank after it's pressure tested so i think I might try spraying that on the metal.
HPIM2636.JPG

interested to see the after photos at least of your molasses bath stuff...i'm planning on doing that this summer

I'll make sure the battery on my camera is fully charged and can take more than 1 picture.

I'll make sure the battery on my camera is fully charged and can take more than 1 picture.

lol...i've been rotating batteries on my camera so i can get all the build pics of annie (our new 1962)

Still Here

Well it looks like I might be able to get back to work on my project. Life happens and I've only been able to spend a few minutes on it here and there this year. Started a new hobby, Doce Pares, and I'm turning the clock back a little, Feel better and have a lot more energy so I'll spend that energy on my cruiser.

After the molasses bath and a quick blast with some sand I still had those pesky little black pits to remove. So I did it the same way as I did my running boards, with a rotary tool. Digging each and everyone of those pits out. I just don't want them there!

HPIM2660.JPG

HPIM2662.JPG

HPIM2660.JPG

HPIM2662.JPG

Doce Pares, had to google it. All I can say is ouch. Not sure I would partake in something that I'll get hit with a stick. Maybe when I was younger but not now that I retired. My main goal is not to gain fifty pounds. Down ten pounds in the last couple of months so heading in the right direct. Finally cooling off enough to work in the yard and garage. Just need to come up with a workable plan. Could even think about the molasses bath. Middle of summer it would be a dried out cake in a week. But because of the dry heat there is little need for a molasses bath.

Ya it does hurt every once in a while. But you know what they say no pain no gain. I'm down 25 lbs since I started but most of all I feel sooooo much better. And Doce Pares is so much more than sticks although that is a very heavy part of it. It's also empty hands, knives, and machete's. Our area is going crazy with muggings, holdups and acted out rage right in the middle of the day. A guy use to be able to stay home at night and be safe but with the prison realignment program it happens all day long. Now I feel a little safer in my every day adventures and I'm slowly getting in shape.

If you do the molasses bath think about doing it in a container with a lid. I covered mine with a tarp and that worked well. Very small parts, springs, brackets and some nuts and bolts I put in a jar with a lid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom