Reworking Coyote 1973 fj55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Didn’t most all of us old folks have a VW at one time or another? Kind of wish I still had my ‘59 with the same oval window. Along with a 60 jag, 67 912 Porsche , and of course the town wagon. Really enjoying what little garage time I’ve gotten so far. Stepped away long enough to get fired up to get back on the road.

Didn’t most all of us old folks have a VW at one time or another?

Yes we did! My problem I started to collect them. Good to hear you're getting a chance to work in the shop again. Summer is a hard time for me, I always look forward to Winter for shop time.

So far is only 20 minutes at a time. Thinking of going out after my wife is in bed (7:00) and putting the walkie-talkie next to her. We use them in the day so I can mow for short intervals. Work pretty well, just not sure she would remember to use it if she woke. At any rate ,just getting out there is good for the soul.

Last edited:
My oldest son has offered me theirs earlier on in this part of the journey. Might revisit the idea. Could at least talk over walkie talkie to let her know I was close. Thanks for the idea.

Managed to get both fenders off. Looks like the core support has seen better days. Will post pictures later. Started removing tailgate pieces and parts. There is no wiring going into the tailgate for the motor or switches. Got the jerrycan holders removed, now a couple of holes to fill. Not sure how repairable core support is. Lots of PO repairs on the old iron. Wonder how hard it will be to find another half way close to me. Scraps got any laying around you'd part with? Shipping would be a bear I’ll bet.

Here’s my core support. Found one on eBay in Nevada, but shipping is $250. I have a good one for my 78 that could be used as a pattern for repairing my current one. Never know what you’re getting into on these old rigs. Where did I put that other bucket’o’money?

C1BF41F5-3DD9-432F-BB52-7B408288E8CD.jpeg

4AAD5C3E-D80C-4209-8357-AA5908B7A7D9.jpeg

C7833263-D7FB-4DC9-88E8-3276AB08DE3E.jpeg

I “liked” that but that’s rough. Damn.

I think the parts pig I have down here is better on the inside by a margin.

If you want to spend all that shopping money of fuel come see me.

61PowerWagon,

Don't make any moves yet, let me look at my parts wagon first. I'm chasing my tail last few days.

Here it is, yours for the picking. I still have a fender, etc. on it I'd like to keep. Time is our biggest hurdle right now, I'm still haying, but we can work it out. I had thoughts of building it into something like Lambcrucher's flatbed, but who am I kidding with three other projects first.

IMG_3649.JPG

IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

Ron, Thanks, I’ll take it. We can figure a time that’s best for you. No hurry still have to pull the spark infested f out to make way for the Mercedes diesel. A few months before I need it. After hay season for sure. Can decide a price later. Bill

wngrog thanks for the offer, but scrapdaddy is closer. This site is the greatest!

Got some garage time tonight. Got the core support removed. Glad to find another one from scrapdaddy, this POS is beyond repair. Hope to get engine/tranny/t-case out by the weekend. Then pressure wash the entire front area.

AA808042-7557-4E33-9AB4-4EC1FDF04E89.jpeg

I thought the same thing.

More progress tonight. Noticed were some PO upgraded the body to block ground wire. Also noticed the pass A pillar looks pretty bad on the bottom. As I’ve asked before, at what point does this become a parts rig? More I look, the more I find needs fabed or replaced.

85D02D52-9266-4347-9A19-326E0B1ED954.jpeg

0E237911-E942-419A-999B-35300EDA132C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom