Builds Resto-mod on my 55 has begun (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landcruisnman

1972 FJ55 "Iron Giant"
Threads
Website
www.summitsteel.net
I've committed to cleaning up my rig. Since I tore all the wiring out, I've passed the point of no return. I've owned this wagon for 19 years and it's definitely time. I've attached some before pics and some of the teardown. I've got all 4 doors and the tailgate sandblasted and primed. I'm planning on a coil/link front and SOA rear. I'm going to keep the 350/ toyota 5sp setup for now. When the time comes, I'll get lockers. ($$$). I've been through a lot with this truck. Most of my 20's and 30's(lots of fun). I'll send more pics as I get s*** done. Seeing some of these builds has definitely motivated me. THanks for that!!!:beer:
IMG_2432.jpg
IMG_2435.jpg
IMG_2441.jpg

Excellent. I'm calling mine a "restoversion" since what isn't being restored is being converted to something newer.

Peace and bacon grease

It's a 72 body with 74 doors. The mirrors are just cheap mirrors from an auto part store I got 12 years ago. I've already tossed them out. Not sure what I'm going to replace them with. Either stock or something similar to the black ones.

Nice...interior looks good too...has a sparse clean feel to it. I hope my wife doesn't see that mailbox of yours or I will be trying to find one. Looking forward to your work in progress!!!

I remember seeing that truck around SD before. Are you adding sheetmetal to it, or going to leave it convertible?

Looking good!

dont forget to swing by the SD cruiser gathering on Sunday. check the clubhouse forum.

Brett,

I'm leaving it a convertible. It's pretty fun that way. I need a bikini top for it. When and where is this Cruiser gathering? I'll check the clubhouse forum. What are you driving around in? Maybe I've seen you cruzin around SD. North county or south??

Pat

Finally got some time to spend on the iron giant

I got the green light from the wife to spend a whole Sunday on it. I do work the Sabath!!! We were able to get the body off the frame and started fab'n the brackets to do a rotisserie setup with (2) HD engine stands like 73 Guppie did. Great idea!! I've got some pic's. First time pulling the body off, and it was really fun I must say. I'm going to send the body on the rotisserie to the Sandblaster and make progress fast. Rear corners are scaring the crap out of me. I'll post more soon.
Later all
Pat
Carlsbad
IMG_8347.jpg
IMG_8351.jpg
IMG_8358.jpg

rotisserie pix

Pat; congrats.............damn, that was quick getting the body off the frame.....:clap::clap:spent a couple of months getting mine off:bang:..........please take pix of the rotisserie:cheers::beer:

Lou

I got the green light from the wife to spend a whole Sunday on it. I do work the Sabath!!! We were able to get the body off the frame and started fab'n the brackets to do a rotisserie setup with (2) HD engine stands like 73 Guppie did. Great idea!! I've got some pic's. First time pulling the body off, and it was really fun I must say. I'm going to send the body on the rotisserie to the Sandblaster and make progress fast. Rear corners are scaring the crap out of me. I'll post more soon.
Later all
Pat
Carlsbad

My Cruzr is upside down on purpose!!

Well, I got the rotisserie from 73Guppie the other day and put some larger castors on it so I could roll it around. Many thanks to him for letting me use this. It's really cool how easy it works. It really takes little effort to sping this thing all the way around. Makes it real easy to see the Rusty Hell I'm in for. Back corners need serious rebuild. I'll post as many as I can. I'll send more once I get more time. Happy Easter everybody!!

Pat
IMG_4419.jpg
IMG_4421.jpg
IMG_4423.jpg

Hey Pat!

That's great man! makes me smile to see it put to good use somewhere else! :)

great idea on the larger wheels, I would of done the same thing but I think in my small 2 car it would of ended up being too tall for the rafters. I bet it rolls nicely now.

let me know if you need any help with the metalwork, I have done it now so I can show you what I did if you need the help.

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom