Builds Resto-mod on my 55 has begun (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A little History on My Pig--starts 1982

We'll, I finally scanned in some photos of the beginning for me when it comes to my Love for Landcruisers. My buddy brought home his Red and White 55 and I just fell in love. I found my first junkyard pig back then and it hasn't stopped yet. Here's some pics to check out. Lots of great memories for me!!:D:crybaby::frown::mad::grinpimp::beer::beer::beer::beer::steer::steer::princess::censor::hillbilly:
First Cruzr Home 1982.jpg
Removing Top 1983.jpg
Mex Trip 1983.jpg

That picture above was my buddys 1960 Willy's wagon(pretty cool) at Mexico

Our first trip to Mexico!!!!! Crazy. The front rubber brake lines blew and I lost my brakes on the way down. I had to put a screw in the line for the front at the Master and only use rear drums(scary as hell!!!) I put it in Low when I was near any population.:frown:
The next pics are in Mex on the same trip, at El Mirage in 1984 and at home in 1985.
First Mex Trip 1983.jpg
El Mirage 1984.jpg
At Home 1985.jpg

More history

:)The next pic is helping recover my friends Dad's Jeep that they rolled in Mexico. Their girlfriends were doing donuts and hit a large pothole and flipped. Luckily they were both 5ft tall and didn't get that hurt. One cut their leg and the Red Cross fixed her up for $10. The second one is my purchase of my current rig after getting it home from the wrecking yard in 1990. The third is my current rig and the parts 55 that I picked up for $500.00.:D
Mex Trip 1988.jpg
Current 55 in 1990.jpg
with parts 55 1991.jpg

More progress on my project

The next pics are as follows. I started getting close to finishing my current pig. Here's some pics of it in 1991 with the lift and tires. Getting closer.
1991.jpg
Adding parts 1991.jpg
getting close 1991.jpg

last pics

Here's some pics of how it got to be close to where it is now. First is of the Top being made at an Auto Top Shop in OC(circa 1993). Next is after it's first real paint job(circa 1997). Last is putting it's powerplant back in(1997). Now I have it torn apart again, and this is the last time--I promise. Thanks for taking a stroll back in time with me.
Later all for now.:):beer::cheers:
top being made 1992.jpg
new paint 1997.jpg
Motor back in 1997.jpg

I love the pic of the Willy's and the Pig and you guys clowning around.....looks like a movie set or something the way its colored. Dang hippies:D

Pablo,
That's pretty much all the pictures I have of the old pig. It was fun doing this and thinking back of all the good times I've had with that rig. I do have a few more shots I can add. The first is a High School Prom in 1984. My date is the one with the cans in the middle:p
The next two are loading up for a Mexico Surf Trip in 1985. That's the trip that my friends rolled their dad's jeep. Cool stuff.
1984 Prom.jpg
Mex Trip 1983 2.jpg
Mex Trip 1983 3.jpg

coolest ever

I couldn't agree with Romegadave more... what a CLASSIC shot! man, you've got just about the best project I've ever seen. The fact that it's a 55 and you made it a surfer's soft top puts it up there, but it being such a journey(not some easily funded shop resto for resale) seals the deal... Hero material for sure! hahaha!!

It sure has been fun. It seems like as far back as I can remember, this truck has been there. And it's got a lot of life to go yet. My kids love this truck, and can't wait to go on a run with me. Thanks for the props.
Later
Pat

Well, I've finally sent my fat piggy body over to the Sandblasters shop. I hope there's some metal left!! Can't wait. I'll get some pics posted when it's out and primed. Later all. Keep those projects alive!!:grinpimp::beer: Noah, thanks again for the awesome Rotisserie:steer:
Loading for Sandblaster.jpg
At Sandblaster.jpg
At Sandblaster2.jpg

Well, now that the body is at the blaster, I can do a little more prep on the frame. I've removed the steering(putting is a FJ60 PS setup), and the shock towers(making room for the Fox Coilovers). I also removed the rear crossmember because of the severe rust. I'll have to fab a new one with a hitch receiver built in later. Three day weekend might give me some time on the pig?Enjoy the barb-Q's!!:beer::beer::beer:
steering box removed.jpg
shock tower removed.jpg
rear crossmember removed.jpg

Back from Sandblasting!!!!!!!

Well, I now am the proud owner of a 1972 FJ55 with no rust:p I now have some sheet metal work that needs to be done. The bottom looks really nice. It's so clean:D:D. I'll post more pics when I can.
Later all
Back from Sandblasting on truck.jpg
Back from Sandbalsting unloaded.jpg
bottom view after sandblasting.JPG

Sheet Metal work needed!

As you can see, there is some missing metal. The important ones are the rear corners where the mounting holes are. I'm going to cut out the rocker panela and run some heavy wall tubing sliders. I'm going to do that up to the from wheel well, and also behind the rear tires to the rear bumper that I need to make still. This will be the hard stuff.
Hole driver side passanger door jam.JPG
Hole drivers rear corner.JPG
holes driver side front.JPG

actually Pat, really does not look too bad, my truck was about the same, I should of had it sandblasted for sure, lesson learned, I spent a month chipping undercoating from underneath of it with an air chisel, although I don't think any sandblaster could of gotten through that stuff, it was like an inch thick! let me know if you need help, I could come by during the week with my daughter and take a look at it. Also, do yourself a favor and getting a small air saw, these work great and allowed me to get in tight corners to cut out that thin metal and place some patches in there.

Noah

Noah,
Where did you get your Air Saw? I'm not sure what those look like. Did you get yours at Harbor Freight? You should come by. Let me know when you and your daughter can.
Summit Steel
2612 Temple Heights Drive
Oceanside, 92056
Later
Pat

Pat, we will come by for sure, not this week, but next, I will be in the garage all weekend if you want to come up. We will plan on next week for sure, I want to see that 45 project.

here's the saw I have, an invaluable tool, there is no way you are going to get into certain places with a cut off wheel, trust me, these things are great, use lots of oil with this one, mine broke once but I was able to fix it, buy lots of blades as the crappy HF blades crap out quickly.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I would also make sure you have a good rotozip or dremel tool, I did not use it that often but it came in very handy when I needed to simply clean up metal prior to welding in some very tight spots. Some good attachments for that dremel will help as well, the small abrasive "stone" attachments and small cut off tools came in handy as well.

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom