Request to borrow HAI intake manifold "insulator" bracket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

My FJ60 passed California smog last weekend under the condition that I install the little bracket that connects the Hot Air Idle tube to the intake manifold. I need to bring it back to the technician and show him that I have it installed within 2 weeks.

I ordered one from cruiserparts.net and I'm on the waiting list to get one-- Seems like these are damned near impossible to find.

I intend to install one when I'm able to finally get one, but for now I'm wondering if maybe one of you could let me borrow one for a couple days, just to go show him I installed it. I'm in Fremont, CA.

Please let me know, thanks!

4632cddac9cf5e2f02b19eb71d79b435.image.200x151.jpg

Yeah, they're unobtainium.
It's just a visual inspection for that piece of junk.

If you get a piece of thin sheet metal and some tin snips and a hole saw, you can make one pretty easily by hand... Good enough to pass the test.

Practice first with some thick aluminum foil to figure out how you're going to cut and bend it. It'll be a middle school metal shop project.

You can seal bent butt joints on sheet metal with solder.
Actually would be a fun project to figure out. Not much is needed in the design. Just a hole in a box thingy bolted next to the manifold with the hose stuffed in it.

Maybe go to another shop. Some techs will pass it if all you've got is a duct resting on the exhaust manifold.

You can just attach the hot air tube to the exhaust manifold with some stainless steel wire and it will pass. Tech is looking for the tube, not the attachment

@Output Shaft I've got the tube on there already, butted right up to the manifold. The smog tech was a stickler for that bracket.

I'd been thinking about that sheet metal project. I was thinking about getting a tube, cutting a slit down the middle at the bottom and unrolling it until it bolts on. I'm guess I'll start screwing around with that.

That's ridiculous. Take it somewhere else. Even the most ardent smog nazi station generally ignores the attachment as long as the tube is there. Particularly if it's a part that is pretty much unobtanium.

If you really want to install one, I know Mark at Mark's off Road in Burbank prolly has one, as he's parted quite a few FJ60s recently, but he has a $80 min for parts shipping. You might make a bulk order for other stuff you need.

Give a call to ask:

www.marksoffroad.net

818-953-9230

THIS is a C.A.R.B certified and approved set up for Calif-legal headers up to '83 on a 2F (Downey headers)

If C.A.R.B approved it there's no reason the tech shouldn't except out of ignorance or pedantry.

IMG_0077.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom