Received an estimate for frame on restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
this is the second estimate that I have gotten at the same price. For $8,000, I would get the exterior painted and body work. That would including front floor pans and rockers...both provided by me. Take the windows out and replace with all new rubber, also provided by me as well as new window felt. He would gut the interior to paint and replace with a new headliner provided by me. he will remove the dash and restore the interior firewall as well.

How does this sound? We are talking about removing the tub so that we can paint the frame too. I do not have a price on that yet, but I am wondering if I should have the drivetrain pulled so I can have any leakes repaired so I can paint the motor, tranny and transfer case. I have no idea on how much any of that would cost.

A good paint job could run more than 8 grand alone, so yeah I would think that's a fair price. Do you know the quality of his work?

That doesn't seem like too bad of a price. If you guestimate $100 per hour, that is ~80 hours of work.

Is this two tone or one color?
two-tone

A good paint job could run more than 8 grand alone, so yeah I would think that's a fair price. Do you know the quality of his work?
Yes. He did a fellow mud members 40 and it turned out damn nice. This guy does it out of his garage in his backyard. Desent set up though. When asking other people in the area where to take it to, this guys name usually turns up. He also restores and collect old gas pumps, soda machine and so on. So, he has an appreciation for cool old stuff.

The one thing I am having a hard time locating is a bolt kit and body mounts.

That is a very reasonable price.
If you take the body off - plan on $10k
If you pull engine/tranny/xfer (why not have him paint engine bay), plan on blowing a couple grand more...

Single-stage or base + clear?
I don't recall. educate me on the difference and I may remember.

Difference on paint?

Single stage is old school; you shoot the paint as best you can and the color dries to a gloss. Think back to waxing your parents car and the rag would turn the color of the paint...

Base coat/clear is modern paint where the color is laid down and dries somewhat flat. It might be sanded before the clear is laid down.

That is a very simplistic description. You should study up on this before deciding.

I think is the base plus clear coat

It will be a base and clear coat paint job. 2 base coats and 3 clear coats.

I'd ask for one more coat of base and 1+ of the clear. That's essentially the armor for your paint job to prevent it from getting chipped down to the primer when stuff hits it, within reason. What paint manufacturer?

Hey @RJC409 from your experience, and frame off restos, hows does that sound to you?

(Sounds inexpensive to me but I'm generally and idiot)
Maybe it depends on location, demographics wise. This guy no longer works in a large paint & body place and works out of his shop in the country.

How does this sound? We are talking about removing the tub so that we can paint the frame too

Most importantly does that price include future rust prevention and if yes is he familiar with the FJ55 and all its lingering rust from the inside out issues.

Most importantly does that price include future rust prevention and if yes is he familiar with the FJ55 and all its lingering rust from the inside out issues.
He brought up "rust from the inside out" many times, so he is aware that.

These are some good points on the rust issue. I'd be very surprised if you didn't find more rust after stripping the paint down. Want everybody on the same page when it starts.

Something isn’t adding up, those of us that have done similar work to what you describe know that much work will physically take more than 4 work weeks to complete but let’s just say for the sake of argument that he can get it all done in 160 hours @ $50.00 per hour but that leaves nothing for shop supplies so the assumption would be that you are supplying 100% of welding, grinding, sanding, masking, priming, body filler, painting, rust proofing materials, etc. Having just done my pig recently I easily have 4K in just shop supplies and way more than 160 hours taking it apart fixing all the rust, prepping for paint, painting and putting back together so he is working for a hobby and not for profit.

If he indeed preforms all the above work for the price he quoted in a timely manner it wouldn’t make sense to try to do it yourself or bother getting any more quotes.

Some reading material, Car Restoration Costs Broken Down by TLC Restorations

Note table two and three don’t appear to be included in table one’s 395 to 550 hours of labor to restore a classic car, IMHO a pig requires more time and money than an average classic Chevy car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom