Rebuilding a fj45 long bed pick-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are the pic's of my MM on the 2-F engine I have, I think they are all ok except the drivers side rear.

066.jpg

068.jpg

069.jpg

067.jpg

Hi All,
I am on spring break and want to start working on my truck again. The 2-F motor has been sitting on an engine stand for about seven years. It has been indoors and I want to fir it up for the first time. Any advise on precautions to take as I do this?

Thanks, in adcance.
Martin

Hi All,
I am on spring break and want to start working on my truck again. The 2-F motor has been sitting on an engine stand for about seven years. It has been indoors and I want to fir it up for the first time. Any advise on precautions to take as I do this?

Thanks, in adcance.
Martin

Well I put in the Mystery oil in each cylinder let it soak for the morning, turned it over with a wrench, let it sit awhile, turned it over 10 -12 times let it sit some more, then with the plugs out turned it by the starter till it read oil pressure, let it sit a couple hrs. then with a little gas in the carb it started and would run with the choke but dies when the choke is released. With the choke it runs smooth. It is sitting on a stand with the radiator and a small lawn mower gas tank. The solenoid is un hooked. should it be supplied with 12v power? not sure about all of the adjustment screws. Thoughts?

Thanks, it was so great to hear it run again.

On my 1f, yes the solenoid needs 12v power which opens up the fuel flow to the carb. I just read you have a 2f, but I would assume it is the same.

Are all the vacuum ports on the manifold capped off?

OK. I checked the vacuum lines and all care plugged or attached. They look un cracked but maybe I should replace with new. I checked the carb nut for tightness. I will supply 12 volts to the solenoid and give that a go in the next day or so.

I switched the pinion flanges to the '77 ones I had so now the drive shafts mate up.

I need to get a 4 speed pto gear in place. I need to get the clutch set up as this is a 55 motor and it is going in a '65 pick-up. I sometime fell like a dog chasing my tail, what ti do first.

Thanks, Martin

I sometime fell like a dog chasing my tail, what ti do first.

Thanks, Martin

That just means you don't own enough cruisers...yet.;) Practice makes perfect.:clap:

Hi all,
I am slowly back at it. I need to know, were the front turn signals on a '65 painted the color of the truck or were they a different standard color?

Hello I need some advice. I have finially got my 2F engine with a 4 speed tranny mounted in my 1965 fj45 long bed. My problem is there does not seem to be enough room for the PTO. There is a U shaped channel on the floor board that is in the way. Will I need to cut this to get the needed clearence for the PTO?

Thanks, Martin

Martin, the early 45's never got the 4 spd which is about 4 inches longer, so you have a clearance issue. I would maybe do a half inch body lift, or bend the linkage in a little to clear the tub. That channel is for rigidity, I would avoid cutting into it. Nice project, its fun when they start going back together!

Thanks, for the positive comments. Whitey, that sounds like a good plan.

Martin, the early 45's never got the 4 spd which is about 4 inches longer, so you have a clearance issue. I would maybe do a half inch body lift, or bend the linkage in a little to clear the tub. That channel is for rigidity, I would avoid cutting into it. Nice project, its fun when they start going back together!

Thanks, for the positive comments. Whitey, that sounds like a good plan.

I would do the bending of the linkage. I've never tried lifting the body on a pre 67 with the clamp for the steering box. That requires adjusting the three points, steering box clamp, the firewall grommet and clamp at the dash. Lifting the fenders and bib. then lifting the bed to keep the body lines stocks. Upside to the body lift is the hood would have more clearance between the air cleaner to the standing seam on two piece hood and the rod to hold the hood up.

Last edited:
Well here I go again. I think it is time to get the project back underway!
1. Get the cooling system but in place.
2. Get the fuel system in place.
3. Exhaust system.
4. Brakes.
5. Drive shafts.
6. Electrics-lights, gauges, charging, and wipers.
7. Clutch.
8. Reassemble the body.

Thoughts/insights?

Hello I need some advice. I have finially got my 2F engine with a 4 speed tranny mounted in my 1965 fj45 long bed. My problem is there does not seem to be enough room for the PTO. There is a U shaped channel on the floor board that is in the way. Will I need to cut this to get the needed clearence for the PTO?

Thanks, Martin

Did you solve the clearance issue? If so, how?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom