Builds Rebuilding a 40 but no longer in a 1 car garage. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry about your injury. In regards to your rust converter you use, have you given any thought to electrolysis? I used it on parts of my 40 when I was replacing the tub, it worked really well for me, and the rust that was left over flaked off with a wire brush. It's cheap and takes very little labor to do, but can take 24 to 72 hours depending how bad the pieces are for it too work.

Sorry about your injury. In regards to your rust converter you use, have you given any thought to electrolysis? I used it on parts of my 40 when I was replacing the tub, it worked really well for me, and the rust that was left over flaked off with a wire brush. It's cheap and takes very little labor to do, but can take 24 to 72 hours depending how bad the pieces are for it too work.
I concidered it but most parts would require a big bath and I don’t like to have something like that running when there is no one around.

Well I don't want to talk u into something your uncomfortable with. But u can plug it in while your working and then unplug it for while your not around. It will take longer but would still work. For big pieces I used scrap wood from pallets for 4 sides, then just laid a cheap tarp down and it made a easy inexpensive giant tank. If u change your mind that is. The old paint also flakes off. Here is some of mine b4 and after...
20170514_095241-756x1008.jpg
20170519_104248-756x1008.jpg

Well I don't want to talk u into something your uncomfortable with. But u can plug it in while your working and then unplug it for while your not around. It will take longer but would still work. For big pieces I used scrap wood from pallets for 4 sides, then just laid a cheap tarp down and it made a easy inexpensive giant tank. If u change your mind that is. The old paint also flakes off. Here is some of mine b4 and after...View attachment 1569251View attachment 1569252
Thanks, looks good. I will look into it when I’m more mobile again.

image.jpg
My tank is a water trough from agway. Aside from rust it removes grease, dirt and paint.

I'm sorry to hear about your conflict with gravity Michael.
It is one of your first posts I truly do not "like." I hope you are up and at it again soon but make sure to take care of yourself and don't over do it. The 40 will be waiting when you are ready to get back at it. . . although there may be more rusted areas than when you left!

I'm sorry to hear about your conflict with gravity Michael.
It is one of your first posts I truly do not "like." I hope you are up and at it again soon but make sure to take care of yourself and don't over do it. The 40 will be waiting when you are ready to get back at it. . . although there may be more rusted areas than when you left!
Its dry and not going anywhere.;)

Carefully started working on the floor. Not much done but every bit helps.
My back is slowly getting better but not able to work more than 1,5 hours on it.
6DD031D7-D859-4F3F-9022-27A5CD8EC682.jpeg

Reinforcement clamped in position
781DABB5-0BFD-4958-8900-89D9BB311638.jpeg

Not much left of this end.
1CA82F76-F792-4896-8452-E66F6B86C785.jpeg

Work has been keeping me busy the last 2 months.
Had a weekend off and did some work on the 40.
Back is still a problem so little work done.
A56BBCE2-150C-4F39-9EE3-83598A3D9F91.jpeg
FF6DD07F-1593-4292-8484-6B2AD9EA77CD.jpeg

Unfortunately I didn’t take to many pictures.
Just cut some bad parts of the floor an replaced them with new steel.
Will take pictures later in the week.

Back injuries are not fun. Each person's injury can be different, so listen very carefully to what your back tells you. You can push yourself a little bit, but DON"T OVER DO THINGS, which is easily done for a person that likes to work with their hands like you do. My physical therapist recommended that I either ride a bike or walk to rebuild the muscles. Of course this was after doing milder rebuilding exercises first.

Don

Back injuries are not fun. Each person's injury can be different, so listen very carefully to what your back tells you. You can push yourself a little bit, but DON"T OVER DO THINGS, which is easily done for a person that likes to work with their hands like you do. My physical therapist recommended that I either ride a bike or walk to rebuild the muscles. Of course this was after doing milder rebuilding exercises first.

I know, my back problems started when I was 16.
This is different and adds to the situation. It is getting better but wil slow me down for a other few weeks.

You don't want to know how jealous I am of your shop space and metal forming tools!

As I have been away alot the last few months I got my wife a few presents. Got to give her a reason to miss me.o_O
Then I thought I was the one doing all the work so should get myself a present too.
When I went to get some 1,5mm steel plate I ran into this time saver.
0B1BF9F9-DE6A-4F7F-8B58-37FE0E0887AE.jpeg

Tried a few welds, works like a charm.

You don't want to know how jealous I am of your shop space and metal forming tools!
Its part of the hobby, collecting tools.:hillbilly:

As I have been away alot the last few months I got my wife a few presents. Got to give her a reason to miss me.o_O
Then I thought I was the one doing all the work so should get myself a present too.
When I went to get some 1,5mm steel plate I ran into this time saver.
View attachment 1588584

Tried a few welds, works like a charm.
I'll bite...what is that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom