Rear Winch on 80....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FloridaFJ80

Roaming Land Cruiser Heaven
Threads
Website
www.landcruiserheaven.com
Has anybody ever installed a rear winch on their 80? I was wheeling with a group from TTORA, and there was this 06 Tacoma single cab, he had a front and rear winch installed on his rig. I am not talking about the winch mounted on the 2" receiver hitch, but rather installed on the underside of his rig. I have a pic but i cant find it... The winch was mounted where in our rig, the spare tire would go, there is enough space under there to mount a winch, the fairlead would come out the rear, which depending on you application or rear bumper acc, you would have to fab up, but i was wondering if anyone on here has something similar.

I think having a rear winch can also be helpful in situations when going forward is not possible and the only way is in reverse. I did see this guys rig in action and it was an awesome idea and it did get him out of a situation where going forward was not an option, and had him been alone there was no way to get out.

Working on a rear winch for winching the rear axle, not for recovery. I believe JUNK had a rear winch setup

Junk did have a rear winch setup in his bumper. Pretty slick all in all and got used more than the front according to him. However that 80 is no more and was parted out. I believe Cruiserhead05 is the proud owner of that rear bumper however I am not sure if he has yet to install a rear winch in it yet. If memory serves its was a SuperX9 that was installed in the rear bumper as it needs to be something with a low profile to be practical. HTH

I've thought about this.

With the spare moved and the factory spare carrier removed, there is quite a cavity under there. I was thinking one could fab a simple cradle for the winch that mounts directly to the frame rails, and cut a slot for a hawse in the bumper.

This would be super low profile, and the bumper wouldn't have to support the load.

Don't know how you'd access the winch controls, though.

I was thinking that you would make a connection just like the one you would use when you hook up a trailer wire connection to the rear bumper. you would only need to fabricate the harness and connection and plug in whenever you are going to use the rear winch.

There is a lot of space in the rear of the rig that you can use to do this, Like Hayes said, you can mount it to the frame rails and by doing that you will be able to have a good mount point.

Photoman has one as well.

Whats wrong with the rear receiver hitch mounted winches? I know it doesnt look as cool as an ARB on the front, but the ability to pick up your winch and move it front to back would be awesome. Warn sells quick connects/ disconnects.

Whats wrong with the rear receiver hitch mounted winches? I know it doesnt look as cool as an ARB on the front, but the ability to pick up your winch and move it front to back would be awesome. Warn sells quick connects/ disconnects.

not a bad idea in principle but in reality you'd have to contend with issues of max capacity of the hitch and of side pull torques. I suppose that if you'd be aware enough and use it only for easy straight pulls back it might be OK. You'd be limited to the same up front too if you put a hitch there for the same winch.

I got on mine all the Warn kit which includes # 2 wires up front , dash mounted relay kill switch, front and rear quick disconnect plugs, a Warn quick plug booster cable, winch mount and a 8000 lbs. Warn winch.

I had to do that on mine as a demo and sold several kits to people who liked to keep their 80´s as stock possible for daily use, but when doing their fishing or hunting trips just pack the winch and use them either front or rear without resorting to a bullbar. I installed all the wiring, a front and rear hitch receiver, a 2" solid bar with a shackle on it, a hitch type 500 lb cargo platform, a hitch type winch base, 8.000 winch, pulley and Warn quick plug booster wires and two hitch keyed locks. All this combo set was sold for less than $ 3,000.

Front hitch was a modified motorhome receiver kit from Draw-Tite with heavy L plates welded at each end, with five grade 8 bolts on each side, which is overkill on handling lateral forces since it´s installed streight between both boxed frames, and I bet it´s stronger than any bullbar set. Back If you analize how the force is relayed to the rear hitch and from there to the boxed frame mounting I am pretty sure it will stand heavy lateral forces, more that what the winch is able to pull.

I would replace the winch steel wire for a light rope so the driver can handle better the winch mounting base.

So there is nothing wrong with this setup and my customers were very happy.

Last edited:
Here in NZ we have winch challenge trucks. Several of them have rear mounted winches. They have the controls mounted on the dash as the driver operates them while the codriver gives directions from out there in the mud. Sounds like a great idea to mount one under the rear of an 80 where the spare tyre shouldn't be. Also the further the winch drum is from the fairlead the better the cable will lay onto the drum.
There is even a Nissan Utilty truck here with a Warn 8274 mounted under the tray behind the cab with a synthetic winch rope running through a heavy duty pipe out to the front of the truck. This is his standby winch as the main winch is a hydraulic monster.

Rear power for rear winch

I got on mine all the Warn kit which includes # 2 wires up front , dash mounted relay kill switch, front and rear quick disconnect plugs, a Warn quick plug booster cable, winch mount and a 8000 lbs. Warn winch.

I had to do that on mine as a demo and sold several kits to people who liked to keep their 80´s as stock possible for daily use, but when doing their fishing or hunting trips just pack the winch and use them either front or rear without resorting to a bullbar. I installed all the wiring, a front and rear hitch receiver, a 2" solid bar with a shackle on it, a hitch type 500 lb cargo platform, a hitch type winch base, 8.000 winch, pulley and Warn quick plug booster wires and two hitch keyed locks. All this combo set was sold for less than $ 3,000.

Front hitch was a modified motorhome receiver kit from Draw-Tite with heavy L plates welded at each end, with five grade 8 bolts on each side, which is overkill on handling lateral forces since it´s installed streight between both boxed frames, and I bet it´s stronger than any bullbar set. Back If you analize how the force is relayed to the rear hitch and from there to the boxed frame mounting I am pretty sure it will stand heavy lateral forces, more that what the winch is able to pull.

I would replace the winch steel wire for a light rope so the driver can handle better the winch mounting base.

So there is nothing wrong with this setup and my customers were very happy.

Hi - Do you have a pic of the rear power disconnect terminal installed?

Hi - Do you have a pic of the rear power disconnect terminal installed?

I attached a picture on one of my posts but don't recall when :confused:

Will try to take a new picture. Keep in mind I bolted the power disconnect socket to a enclosing plate (to protect it ) on one of the suporting brackets of my rear TJM bumper which my not be possible on your case.

Sure not the most beauty instalation .. but

0708_132201.jpg

I believe it's a warn XP 9500

not a bad idea in principle but in reality you'd have to contend with issues of max capacity of the hitch and of side pull torques. I suppose that if you'd be aware enough and use it only for easy straight pulls back it might be OK. You'd be limited to the same up front too if you put a hitch there for the same winch.

Meh... You just need to design the reciever for that type of load. This is exactly what I will be doing, but everything will be custom.

ttt

Has anyone tried this using the OEM bumper to mount the fairlead?

I would not recomend this, OEM bumper is too thin.

On my brother inlaw FJ62, many years ago I installed a M8000 with a custom made selfcontained winch support plate, were the winch rear face was flat against the crossmember, the fairlead was bolted to front support plate and after that I reinstalled the OEM bumper in it's stock location but cut a square hole to clear the fairlead.

Since just today we removed the winch to service it and will reinstall it tomorrow I will try to take a picture and post it here.

I know is not a 80 series but it will give you an idea that it may be possible to do it in a 80 and keep the OEM bumper as to have a stock look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom