Rear Bumper Section (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CDAN and the wulf,

Please post Pics of your modified Slees with the fancy license plate holders.

Ali,

Het sorry I never got you more details on the 4x4 labs product...work has been killing me. Sounds like you are fabbing up something pretty sweet though...the 4x4labs one will run ya around 2k, unless you don't want the ladder, maybe it'd be 1800. It is totally comparable in price to a Slee for me as i didn't have to ship it. You could install it yourself, all ya need is a plasma cutter and a grinder and you're in there. The design is best suited for flares removed, as the side protection runs right into it, I cut a notch out of my flares, but would like to remove them and line x some day.

I just removed the outer section of the crossmember last night. Originally I thought the pintle mount was connected to the sort of U shaped piece. All the pintle mount was a double section of metal right around the mount. I was really disappointed. I'm putting 3x5" 3/16" tubing over the frame rails and welding it to the U shaped mount. Not super low clearance but better than some.

Slee with JDM Toyota license plate mount on tail gate:
An important footnote regarding this mod, a high-lift jack will no longer fit on the carrier. It will hit the license lamp.

Close up of receiver hitch mounted thru-frame:

Photo_Cruiser,

It's of minor significance but how does the factory mudflap integrate with the 4x4 labs bumper. Could you trim the inside of the flap that runs along the factory bumper so that the line follows the new bumper in a straight line (no radius) or is this not possible? Just curious.

Factory OEM Mudflap gone. The bumper side protection is prretty beefy, and is probably an inch away from the rear quarter panel, plus that top round bar you see on top of the side protection is around 1" solid steel bar so it is thick as well. To notch the factory flaps enough, you end up cutting out all off the mounting hardware where it mounts to a-the now removed bumper, and b-the fiberglass flares. Luke did include mounting holes on the edge of the side protection toward the rear wheel well to mount an aftermarket flap, apparently Tacoma flaps will work pretty well, and he had a client that put some fairly bling bling Jaos flaps on...I am at some point going to take a patter down to Tap plastics and have some cut out out of some sort of material,, just have not gotten to it...Hopefully I'm not hucking up too much debris....

No going back now Gumby....

Yo Junk..if you make a ladder, make sure it's top curve follows the roof line, mine is too high and I don't dig that...tree braches can snag it...or rather it snags trees....

My bumper was my first project. I bought a stick welder at a garage sale shortly after buying my LC and went to town. Micheal Fox gave me some ideas on the design - he had a lot of pictures that were helpful. If I could do it again I'd cut into the rear frame cross member and giver her more of a tuck, but the whole thing was an experiment. Rock Stomper Hinge, McMaster hardware. I can sit on the spare 33 x 12.50 tire with it swung open and it holds up fine. A bit beefy and not all that aesthetically pleasing, but it's already taken some very hard hits under the rockers and held up fine. Had it powder coated when I finished. Cost about 350 total in iron, hardware and powdercoat and a month of weekends. The receiver hitch easily unbolts from the original 4 holes in the rear crossmember for trail use.

Justin Borg
91 FJ80

Dudes,

Does the tire carrier ever develop any slop in the system? I mean, when you drive on choppy/blocky type concrete hwys, does the tire move at all? Other than aesthetics, does the orientation of the spare tire matter much (angular or straight vertical)?

Thanks.
Ali

Alia,

haven't beat mine up much, but so far it's tight like on prom night..as they say..

Seems when it is shut, there is no vert movement anyhow due to the clamp, and the swingarm pretty much resting on the bumper once closed...or, in designing yours, I think it would be smart to have that swing arm be very close to the bumper, just to support it over the years incase it does get some sort of droop over time...beefy spindles too are a welcome thing. It seams with the tire at a slight angle, it appears more tucked into the rear of the rig, and sort of follows the line/angle of the rear window.

Photo,

Any drawback to the gas spring to assist in opening? Do you know what the closing force is by any chance? I try to have my wife in mind when designing these things as she uses the vehicle quite often. If she can't close the swing arm then I'll hear about it!

Thanks.

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=13137;start=msg121823#msg121823 date=1079417927]
Here's the pic of mine. The ladder will be finished when the tubing shows up and the winch is going back in around the same time since it's been rebuilt.

Everything is tucked in, so a tad was cut off the rear.

rearbumperwithsnow.jpg

[/quote]

Alright Junk, you know you left the ice axes in the pic so someone would ask aboutit right?

I'm askin"???? Where are the PICS? :D

Ali,

The gas shocks are sweet, the ladder you have to push a bit, but the tire is like one finger...I'd say the ladder is easy too, my 7 yr old can do it. It also keeps em shut on a hill until you pull them a little ways. I know the guy that made them played with the location of them quite a bit to get the tension corrrect...I will take pics over the weekend and post em...

Junk,
Don't you know rock climbing is dangerous???
seriously if you make it to moab to wheel check out the rock climbing on potash canyon wall (on the way to the poison spider trail head) great climbs in the 5.9 5.12 range.
Dave
totally off topic here.

Tooth - I've posted pics of the bumper. You mean climbing pics? Posted them too, but on another site :D

Phaedrus - going to Moab only presents many problems. Like do I wheel, mountain bike or climb. LOL. Actually not much of a rock climber and greatly prefer ice and mountaineering instead.

Photo - why not replace the shock with an air/hydro unit. Press the button on the dash and it swings out :D

Junk, I was talking about climbing pics, but, I've gotta fab a new bumper for the 80 also so keep those pics coming looks good.

Generic keep the progress pics coming and if you need a hand one night next week let me know... wife's out of town. Hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom