1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Bumper Section

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by snowcruiser, Mar 14, 2004.

1. snowcruiser

snowcruiser

Anyone with custom rear bumpers or modified versions of aftermarket bumpers please post details and photos in this thread. This will provide an all-inclusive thread with options for those considering a custom bumper in the future. C-Dan, 4x4 labs, modified Kaymar, Michael Fox, JKCustoms, Upnover, etc.

2. Boom7750

Boom7750

Kaymar with side hoops added.

3. Pitbull

Pitbull

Thought I heard/read that the "rear bumber" on the 80 is not really a bumper but a cross member. If this is the case I would assume you would need to replace it with something as tough as the original???

4. ginericLC

ginericLC Wagon Wheeler! SILVER Star

There are about 4 sections to the 80 bumper. The flimsy corners (2), then a center crossmember that is like 3/16" C channel which is welded over the top of a Angled brace that goes around the spare tire and then forms the hitch section which has the pintle holes in it. I'll try to get some pictures today. I have mine all taken apart right now. I'm going to cut the 3/16" C channel out and replace it with a piece of 3/16" tubing which I will notch to fit over the frame rails and the Angled brace section with the pintle holes. Basically, I'm doing what Toyota did over in the center section and extending it out to the end so I can weld side protection on as well. I thought of shortening the frame, but this would make the fabrication of my swingouts to be more difficult. And I don't think this is the spot that gets me in trouble on the trail. Losing the hitch and spare tire will probably be enough clearance in the rear for the type of wheeling I do.

5. Photo_Cruiser

Photo_Cruiser

Here is one made by 4x4 labs. The rear crossmamber was cut off and replaced

6. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

Don't know why you'd want to cut that crossmember out. I've been rear ended twice at low speeds and that rear crossmember has dealt out plenty of punishment to the two fawkers that hit me and very little damage to the cruiser! I'd consider it part of the frame, because as mentioned above, it's welded in. Rock solid...as usual for our cruisers!

7. shocker

shocker

The crossmember isn't removed because of weakness, it's actually 'replaced' by a bumber designed to give the cruiser a better departure angle. The strength is still there, it's just a little closer/further under the cruiser.

8. snowcruiser

snowcruiser

Boom

Do you have any more detailed photos that you could post. Your truck looks really nice! Is the whole bottom two-tone grey color rhino lined?

Photo-Cruiser. That bumper is among the nicest I've seen. Have you towed with it yet?

Keep the photos and details coming!

9. Photo_Cruiser

Photo_Cruiser

Have not towed with it yet, the new rear cross member is beefier than what was cut off, and I did not have any towing capability to begin with, so it was no big deal to me....

do a bumper search and you'll find a bunch of pics of thiss one....

10. Junk

Junk

Here's the pic of mine. The ladder will be finished when the tubing shows up and the winch is going back in around the same time since it's been rebuilt.

Everything is tucked in, so a tad was cut off the rear.

[​IMG]

11. Junk

Junk

Here's a few more.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Junk

Junk

If someone wants to show some initiative and collect pics from Christo's and Up-N-Over's, I'll add this as a faq.

13. snowcruiser

snowcruiser

Junk

Is that bumper a one off or a modified aftermarket product? Did you do the fab work or someone else? I assume the rear cross member was cut out or modified. Any more specs/details. Looks very nice!

14. snowcruiser

snowcruiser

15. Junk

Junk

Snow - it's a custom one off, I'll be building the ladder next week when the tubing comes in. There is a bunch of info that I've posted before, when I get some more time, I'll look for it, but gotta run.

16. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    Guys,

How about providing an estimate of the price tag for these nice bumpers? Should give the readers an idea of how much time/materials go into making up these nice bumpers. For the non professionals, it's hard to quantify one's time, but try to provide some man hours and parts total.

Quick summary from what I gleened (sp?) off the 'net:

Luke from 4x4labs quoted me a price range of $2k for a bumper similar to Photo_cruiser's. Others: Kaymar's w/ tire $1200, TJM w/ tire $1340, Slee w/ tire $1800

Anyone else?

Ali

17. snowcruiser

snowcruiser

This one is the work of Alan Plodvin.

18. snowcruiser

snowcruiser

Another pic of Plodvin's Rear bumper.

19. Photo_Cruiser

Photo_Cruiser

Here is the piece that removed out of my rear end....I feel so much better now...

Basically, corners removed, rear cross member hacked off and then ends of frame were ground down to a 45 degree angle, to match the tucked in angle of the bumper. Bumper was slid tightly onto the frame rails, much like a Slee or Arb front bumper then bolted into the frame rails, I believe 4 bolts on each side. I need to crawl under and snap some detail pics...there are others on this board with this product as well. I have wheeled it twice in places where my stock one scraped quite a bit, but this one has yet to kiss a rock....but then again I am going to try the rubicon this year, so that time will come...