Rear Bumper Section (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby, first mod I would do is learn how to take a better pic :flipoff2: LOL though on that first one it looks like you were downing about 10 #6's during the picture being taken :D Second one ain't so bad, but how about a little steadiness eh?

Seriously, looks good so far. With the butt end tucked like that, don't know how you'll get a spindle in there for a spare. That's why I now carry a spare around my waist :D

Camera sucks. I will try and get better pics and put them on my tech site.

I don't want a spare back there. I had one and I hated the lack of access to my tail gate. I also didn't like more stuff hanging off the back while wheeling. THe overhang is long enough. I figure I do three kinds of travelling.

Around town - no spare needed. I got a cell phone.
Wheeling - plenty of room in the back with the seats out
Trips - Here is the problem. I can just buy a new tire if I get a flat, but I really oughtta carry one. I might make a reciever mounted carrier for these instances. If I'm travelling with a trailer, the spare can go on the trailer.

My spare tire around my waist has gone from a 44" Swamper to a little old 315/70. Partially because I no longer have a couple of #6s. Beam Black and diet coke for me. No carbs. :D

Dude that diet coke will kill ya....all that aspartame and fake sugar and crap...beam on the rocks...that'll do ya. Anyone fabbing these things, I'll agree w/Gumby, the swing outs are a pain in the ass...My better half who puts around town in my, uh, her, uh my 80..hates the damn thing. I am contemplating removing the swing outs around town, and sticking them on for the big 2 kid, dog, kayak, bikes, camping outings....where I can't sacriifice the space in the back due to a big ol chunk of rubber

Photo_C, You have it wrong. Doctors will eventually realize the diet that works is 100% chocolate and diet coke :D

Yeah, the swingout is a pita sometimes, but I like the room it creates. The bad thing about is less folks see the :flipoff2: when you hold it up.

Here're some pics of my rear bumper

Ali

:flipoff2:

Pic 1

Damn, didn't load. Trying again.....
Bumper_rear_view_2.jpg
bumper_under_1.JPG
tire_carrier_1.JPG

Last edited:
Mudflap area. Bumper is contoured to fit the stock mud flap hole. There's a tapped hole on the very bottom of the bumper wing that is for the bottom securing bolt for the mudflap.

Hinge and latch pics
Mudflap.jpg
latch.jpg
Hinge_closeup.jpg

Last edited:
Tire carrier
Tire_carrier_open.jpg
Tire_carrier_open_2.jpg

Last edited:
Alia176, nice setup!

So the entire bumper assembly attaches on the frame's lower bolts, the ones used to hold the factory trailer hitch on? I see a little bit of support on the driver's side of the frame, any chance you could take more pics of that? Did you make it yourself? Have any actual drawings (Autocad, sketches with measurements?).

I'm sure others would want to see more pics too, but if not :flipoff2: to them! :D If you wanted to you could e-mail me any pics...

Thanks,
Mark Brodis
mabrodis@colorado4x4.net

here is the rear bumper set up on my 92.

nothing fancy, I took off the plastic crap, had a local bend up some tube(attached with U-bolts) welded on some plates and bolted up some tow rings. Cost me all of $100. I hate rear tire carriers........always in the way.
18547750.jpg

Landpimp, do those side hoops actually have any strength? I guess they would be better than nothing (which is what I have now), and you could atleast grind them over rocks without fear.

Doesn't your spare get trashed under there? I don't think mine will fit anyway, but dragging over one sharp rock and there goes your spare. I run with my spare inside, held down tight vertically, works pretty good, just takes away inside space..

I do like the swivel D-rings you have, where'd you get those?

Later.
Mark Brodis

Mark,

Thanks. Yes, the entire setup bolts to the existing holes in the frame plus the exhaust hanger holes (on both rails). Yes I made it myself :flipoff2: and have some AutoCAD files that I can send you. Unfortunately, this is a case where I designed it as I went along so I don't have dimensions that you would need to duplicate. I'll see if I can update my ACad drawing to include some more dimensions. I so wish I had Autodesk Inventor before this project :mad:

I'll send you a zip file containing some more pics.

Ali

[quote author=mabrodis link=board=2;threadid=13137;start=msg142320#msg142320 date=1082492683]
Alia176, nice setup!

So the entire bumper assembly attaches on the frame's lower bolts, the ones used to hold the factory trailer hitch on? I see a little bit of support on the driver's side of the frame, any chance you could take more pics of that? Did you make it yourself? Have any actual drawings (Autocad, sketches with measurements?).

I'm sure others would want to see more pics too, but if not :flipoff2: to them! :D If you wanted to you could e-mail me any pics...

Thanks,
Mark Brodis
mabrodis@colorado4x4.net
[/quote]

Pimp,
That RULES ! :D

I've been toying with the idea of just building different wings onto the existing center section. I've just wondered why I've never seen that anywhere else. ???

Thanks for the pic. :D

Ali,
Looks great. Super job. Any chance of you posting a close up of the latch? I like how you incorporated the lights into it. Cool.
grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hey Lpimp, looks similar to what I'm thinkin, 'cept I plan to put a square hole for a receiver.

Um, not to hijack a thread as cool as rear bumper mods for something as weenyish as emblems, but--- I also noticed your '4Wheel Drive' emblem there, off an old FJ40. I'm in the middle of drilling holes to do the same-- have any pointers to avoid rust? Did you really put two holes for the M4 studs in your tailgate, or just glue it on? Any issues with sheetmetal curvature and a flat emblem? I also attached the TOYOTA nameplate on the front grill, and removed that silly circly-thingy (When Toyota went to that stupid symbol, it went to hell.) I'm working on getting my wife to find some metal or plastic mesh similar to the old FJ40 grille mesh to put up there as well.

Ok, bad to manly-man stuff like welding and #6s and sheeat. :)
Kenton

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=13137;start=msg142322#msg142322 date=1082493060]
here is the rear bumper set up on my 92.

nothing fancy, I took off the plastic crap, had a local bend up some tube(attached with U-bolts) welded on some plates and bolted up some tow rings. Cost me all of $100. I hate rear tire carriers........always in the way.
[/quote]

Bumper weight: 117 lbs
Tire carrier weight: 30 lbs
MT/R 285 75 16 tire with OEM rim: 55 lbs (if anybody cares!)

[quote author=EFHUNT link=board=2;threadid=13137;start=msg142442#msg142442 date=1082507953]
Ali, Very nicely done!

Do you know the total weight?

[/quote]

Ali,

Where'd ya terminate your muffler, and do ya whistle now that your resonator is gone??

Jeff

the side hoops are plenty strong, the U-bolts are also very strong, most sliders are held on with u-bolts, if not welded.

spare has been there for years, same one a matter of fact, no problems, no rocks around here anyway

D -rings are from Boeing surplus, I think they were $12 each............new they are $150

[quote author=mabrodis link=board=2;threadid=13137;start=msg142327#msg142327 date=1082493937]
Landpimp, do those side hoops actually have any strength? I guess they would be better than nothing (which is what I have now), and you could atleast grind them over rocks without fear.

Doesn't your spare get trashed under there? I don't think mine will fit anyway, but dragging over one sharp rock and there goes your spare. I run with my spare inside, held down tight vertically, works pretty good, just takes away inside space..

I do like the swivel D-rings you have, where'd you get those?

Later.
Mark Brodis
[/quote]

the emblem had the post broken off.........so I just glued it on.........8 years ago.

Don't laugh but I am considering painting the grill of my UZJ off white like a fj40 :D

[quote author=kenton link=board=2;threadid=13137;start=msg142565#msg142565 date=1082516792]
Hey Lpimp, looks similar to what I'm thinkin, 'cept I plan to put a square hole for a receiver.

Um, not to hijack a thread as cool as rear bumper mods for something as weenyish as emblems, but--- I also noticed your '4Wheel Drive' emblem there, off an old FJ40. I'm in the middle of drilling holes to do the same-- have any pointers to avoid rust? Did you really put two holes for the M4 studs in your tailgate, or just glue it on? Any issues with sheetmetal curvature and a flat emblem? I also attached the TOYOTA nameplate on the front grill, and removed that silly circly-thingy (When Toyota went to that stupid symbol, it went to hell.) I'm working on getting my wife to find some metal or plastic mesh similar to the old FJ40 grille mesh to put up there as well.

Ok, bad to manly-man stuff like welding and #6s and sheeat. :)
Kenton
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom