R151F: What a Mess (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
Pulled the W56 out today. The shifter boot was shot and leaking oil on top of the tranny. I thought that was my main leak. NOT! When we removed the clutch the rear main was leaking severely. New seal in place. The clutch had about 200K on it and was in need of replacement.

Tomorrow I'll take the flywheel to Bud's to get machined and start installation. Anybody have a clutch install tool I could use? I also need to try Dan's bread trick to get the pilot bearing out.

I've got a pilot bearing puller, do you want to use it?

Sure, easier than the bread trick.

I have a R150 in the garage and I'm going to use the input shaft to center the clutch. Came to me in my sleep.

Is this the dual transfer case project?
-Mike-

Three pics.

The boot to the shifter is cracked and leaked oil outside the tranny.
The inside of the bellhousing where oil was leaking past the seal.
The starter plate. This is the side that was facing the engine and the leaking rear main seal.

Ugly. Tranny has 340K miles on it and has only been off to replace one clutch. The clutch has 200+K and was due for replacement.
W56.JPG
bellhousing oil.jpg
starter plate.JPG

Jon:

I've got a clutch alignment tool kicking around the shop.

I *might* even be back in NM early next week for a couple days, but if not I'm sure Dad could let you in to search for it (which is tricky, because I also have F/H series, a couple of B series, and the mini truck one in there).

FWIW--it is the same for the V6 and the 22RE (and the 2LT-E and 1KZ-TE, if it helps anyone).

Dan

Jon,

I think I have an alignment tool as well but not sure if it's generic. I used it when I had a Nissan Mini, many moons ago.

Thanks guys for the alignment tool offer. I'm good. I'll use the input shaft from a R150 I had in the garage.

The stack ready to go in. Think I'll split the stack and install the tranny and tc separately.
R151F_sm.JPG

pappy said:
The stack ready to go in. Think I'll split the stack and install the tranny and tc separately.

Plz pm me your address again so I can get there tomorrow....do we need tools? I think we were talking about some specific ones last night...but I can't ******* rmember now...

chooo chooo! that's a long a$$ train!:eek: must be nice to have the wheel base to fit it.

What's in the space between the bell housing and the transmission? Is that still part of the tranny?

Actually the part labeled "transmission" is referring mostly to the shifter. The part the shifter is attached to is the "extension housing" which comes off the transmission. Technically, the transmission gear box is attached directly to the bellhousing.

So, in order from the floor:

• Bellhousing
  • Transmission
  • Extension housing
  • Crawler box
  • Adapter
  • Transfer case

This just keeps getting better.

Transmission is in. When I jacked it up the shifter was into the floor.

pappy-albums-r151f-picture20475-shifter-forward-more-than-w56.jpg

Solution was to cut out the floor a bit.

pappy-albums-r151f-picture20476-i-cut-out-floor-give-shifter-more-room.jpg

When I put the shifter boot on it was forward by 2". Guess I'll be doing some fabrication and making a new center console. And this doesn't even account for the placement of the transfer case shifters.

pappy-albums-r151f-picture20477-shifter-alignment-off-2-boot-shifter-1-5-forward-when-i-measured-between-r151-w56.jpg

And to give you a better idea of how tall this assembly is:

pappy-albums-r151f-picture20478-pappys-r151f.jpg

That is taller than Beno.

-Mike-

Now that's funny! No offense Beno.

That is quite a stack of machinery. I'm interested to see how the Runner will wheel now - or at least when it's all done and buttoned up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom