Question for the pros... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks good whether or not it's a bargain depends greatly on your location and the condition of the rig. Desiel conversions are always suspect in our community, atleast it's an izuzu not a Cummings 4bt.

Keep us posted!

No one has ever lied on eBay....

All joking aside, I hope it is in amazing shape and drives great, but something makes me think there must be something more to it. I do know some people can't stand the noise and vibration of the 4 cylinder diesels but if you are ok with some noise and shake, should be good.

This really depends on how sorted the swap is. If it's all dialed in, emissions isn't an issue in your area, then maybe you're good to go. I personally wouldn't want to own a motor/tranny swapped rig that I didn't know all the ins and outs of. Where do you get it serviced if it won't start, what's where, is the electrical a GM retro kit, Isuzu, Toyota, or some kinda of hobo stew of the three?

Edit- I am not a pro

Last edited:
The tach and Speedo sensor are still in the box. Does that mean he couldn't figure it out?

Seems a bit high for my blood, but I already have the version I like. It does have a few $$$$ of other accessories anyway.

Hope it's not too rusty from Iowa. Yes, they use salt, brine, sand , and whatever else they can find. I used to live on the opposite corner of the state from where this is.

I'm waiting for the seller to call me back, I have a list of questions written out to ask him. As for rust, it's a clean/southern truck.

Emissions is definitely an issue, I'm researching now if there is a waiver fee that I can pay.

Yeah, Iowa has no emission laws. If it were me looking to bid on a truck, I would have figured out that part BEFORE I bid on it, but that's just me.

You're going to have to fly/drive/ship a truck from Iowa to VA when you're not even sure you can license it due to emissions?

The AC is all there but it leaks and doesn't work.
The Speedo is there, it's just not hooked up..
The tach is there, it's just not hooked up...
The gaskets on the engine were replaced but there are a few seeps here and there....
It's a 40th Anniversary Edition Collector's truck...That's had an Isuzu diesel slapped in it and a GM 700R4.....
It's a 1997 Toyota with an Isuzu Diesel from *UNKNOWN* age vehicle to move into an emissions required state......

No, I think it's still too high. But it's a little late for that, now isn't it?

I bought a 1968 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR with a 350 Chevy engine and Turbo 400 transmission in it. Is it worth the $150,000 I paid? Yes. Yes it is.

You're supposed to ask questions *before* you commit to buying.

But hey, if you can't register it in your state, just fix the minor problems, get video proving how well it runs, and flog it to someone in another state for $12k.

The truck is from FL.

As for the emissions, I've had numerous swapped vehicles, I have one now in fact. Plan B is that I can pay a waiver fee of about $800 and get my plates...which was my thought when I bid on the truck. However, it appears that the guideline in VA doesn't apply to diesels, so yes, I may be the a-hole bidder that flakes out.

The truck is from FL.

As for the emissions, I've had numerous swapped vehicles, I have one now in fact. Plan B is that I can pay a waiver fee of about $800 and get my plates...which was my thought when I bid on the truck. However, it appears that the guideline in VA doesn't apply to diesels, so yes, I may be the a-hole bidder that flakes out.

I would just agree to pay a small relist penalty to the seller, $50-100.

I bought a 1968 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR with a 350 Chevy engine and Turbo 400 transmission in it. Is it worth the $150,000 I paid? Yes. Yes it is.

Love it when people drop almost completely unrelated comments into their posts for some reason. I think about that all the time when I'm flying around in my $12M Gulfstream jet... ;)

You told me you paid $10M for the Gulfstream. You're just trying to impress folks:rofl:

Love it when people drop almost completely unrelated comments into their posts for some reason. I think about that all the time when I'm flying around in my $12M Gulfstream jet... ;)

Actually, there WAS a point to it. It was sarcasm. The example was that I bought a true COLLECTOR car....BUT it has a different engine and such in it. Was it worth the $150K that I paid?

Someone is looking for justification of what they did, when, in fact, they probably did not get what they THOUGHT they were buying. This gets to be a real issue when you are dealing with TRUE collector cars/trucks. Not a 40th anniversary 80 series, because they are not "collectible".....yet. Even so, what he bought ISN'T, no matter how you look at it, because it's been heavily modified.

If your gulfstream is 12 million it must be old and rode hard

Looks good whether or not it's a bargain depends greatly on your location and the condition of the rig. Desiel conversions are always suspect in our community, atleast it's an izuzu not a Cummings 4bt.

Keep us posted!

did i miss something? it says izuzu right in the add..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom