Quality differences between Yoshiwara and Tahara? (1 Viewer)

Where was your 200 made?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 2011 was built in Yoshiwara, it's got about 38,000km and no problems so far. My dad's 2017 was also built in Yoshiwara, the only problem we noticed was the steering wheel is a little off-center when driving straight. It has been like that since new. My brother also has a 2017 and his was built in Tahara. It had a faulty fuel level sender from the factory and had to be replaced under warranty. All three are VX grade with the 1VD diesel.

2015 built at Yoshiwara. No squeaks, rattles (now that the 3rd row seats are in the shed) or problems. The ONLY minor issue I have is that the tire pressure system complains intermittently, but that could be due to the Discount Tire sensors I have in all 4 tires. No big deal.

2013 61,000 built at Yoshiwara. Water pump replaced under warranty at 52,000.

Eats gas like my 1986 FJ 60 or a fat kid at a donut shop!!! How come in almost 30 years they can't improve the fuel consumption rate??? :doh:

And no one say, people don't buy these vehicles because they care about fuel economy! Well a Timex tells time just like a Rolex, I prefer the later... :D

“And no one say, people don't buy these vehicles because they care about fuel economy! Well a Timex tells time just like a Rolex, I prefer the later... :D

I agree — while presumably overkill, my Sea Dweller can take a lickin much in the same way my LC can...

I agree with all the above.

Took the 2018 LC on its first real road trip Dallas to Telluride and back. Throughly enjoyed every mile. Now we have three teenagers, my wife , myself, yakama skybox and a hitch haul full so we were loaded down and trucking but overall we averaged 16 mpg’s

True didn’t buy it for the economy rather the abilities but higher mpg’s or at least a bigger tank would be nice.

On a side note, hard to believe they sell as few LC’s as they do because there are a ton in my neighborhood and seemed like every other vehicle in Telluride was a a LC or at least a Tacoma or 4Runner.

Turbo's?...

I was referring to BMWs. It's comical to see people call their cars bullet proof when they replaced major engine/transmission components before 100k miles.

I think I failed to mention in my earlier post that having learned that I had owned 200s from both plants, I could not tell any difference in quality between them. Only difference at all that comes to mind is with the 2 11"s one from Yoshi the other from Tahara, the Tahara did have a noticeable taller ride height, but no noticeable quality differences. The brakes were more firm in the Tahara but it had more miles on it and the brakes had been replaced once. I still own the Yoshi 11" and it still under 30k miles. The Tahara 11" had around 60k when I traded it for the Armada a year or so ago. I am still a firm believer that the 200's are likely the best built or at least one of the best built vehicles in the world. I have owned over 100 different vehicles personally and several hundred in my business over the past 30+ years and I never seen anything hold up to the test of time the way these 200s do.

14 LX and 20 Cruiser from Autobody/Araco

Curious @Onur @cruiserdan was it evident that the technicians took pride in their work while touring? Perhaps at a higher level than domestic manufacturers?

2015 lc and 2018 lx both yoshi.

14 LX and 20 Cruiser from Autobody/Araco

Curious @Onur @cruiserdan was it evident that the technicians took pride in their work while touring? Perhaps at a higher level than domestic manufacturers?

I’m not sure that’s something that can be gleaned by just walking through Yoshiwara or Tahara. You would really need to spend time talking to employees about how they do what they do.

I mean, let’s be realistic: they are assembly line workers. They are doing the same thing over and over again hundreds of times a day. Ask yourself how happy and excited you would be to go work if you were on an assembly line? I mean, for us, the LC means something radically different than it does for a rank-and-file Land Cruiser assembly worker.

They do rotate through jobs/machines/positions, but in the end, they are just doing assembly work. Robots and large machines do all of the major stamping, welding, painting, machining, etc. It’s all super automated at both Tahara and Yoshiwara.

That being said, both Tahara and Yoshiwara are some of the most exacting manufacturing plants on earth. Tahara, especially, has been studied by academics for years as an exemplary manufacturing operation for emulation.

Are they "happier" or more "precise" about the work they do during their shift in comparison to US auto workers? The statistics say yes and the products themselves say yes as well. Tahara workers aren't going and having a few cocktails and joint at lunch. :lol:

Something else to keep in mind: LC manufacture at Tahara was only instituted to keep up with sales demand of the 200 series globally. It is not a normal product for them, historically. Yoshiwara has always been the home plant of the Land Cruiser. I would venture a guess and say that the 300 series will NOT be manufactured at Tahara. But that's just an educated guess.

As long LC/LX are made in Japan I will continue to buy them. I will never buy any toyota products made in USA..... mulletheads are idiots! bunch idiots eating fried food wallking around like clowns!

As long LC/LX are made in Japan I will continue to buy them. I will never buy any toyota products made in USA..... mulletheads are idiots! bunch idiots eating fried food wallking around like clowns!
That’s a pretty elitist blanket statement if I ever saw one. Your ignorance makes it quite evident you’ve lived a sheltered life.

Looking for another 200 and was wondering if there is a difference in quality/precision between the two factories?

Check the 11th digit in your 200 series VIN:
4 = Yoshiwara
5 = Tahara
I'm flying into Tokyo's Narita Airport this Thursday and heading to the Yoshiwara Plant first thing Friday morning. In anticipation of the visit, I just checked the VIN on my stateside '08 LC and was a bit surprised to see that the VIN indicates it was made in the Tahara Plant. The truck is at 177k and going strong. That means all 3 of my Toyota trucks have been from Tahara ('09 GX, '21 4R, '08 LC). Maybe I'll check out the Tahara plant someday. In the meantime, I am really looking forward to watching some 300 and 70 series trucks coming off of the Yoshiwara Plant assembly line.

If you're reading this but haven't filled out the poll on this thread indicating Tahara or Yoshiwara, go ahead and do so. It's certainly valuable to see the percentages.

1669681848817.png

I'm flying into Tokyo's Narita Airport this Thursday and heading to the Yoshiwara Plant first thing Friday morning. In anticipation of the visit, I just checked the VIN on my stateside '08 LC and was a bit surprised to see that the VIN indicates it was made in the Tahara Plant. The truck is at 177k and going strong. That means all 3 of my Toyota trucks have been from Tahara ('09 GX, '21 4R, '08 LC). Maybe I'll check out the Tahara plant someday. In the meantime, I am really looking forward to watching some 300 and 70 series trucks coming off of the Yoshiwara Plant assembly line.

If you're reading this but haven't filled out the poll on this thread indicating Tahara or Yoshiwara, go ahead and do so. It's certainly valuable to see the percentages.

View attachment 3180394

I may have missed it. Do you work for TMNA or TMC?

I may have missed it. Do you work for TMNA or TMC?
No. I'm visiting family in Nagoya and Osaka... In addition to checking out the Yoshiwara plant, I'll be stopping by the Toyota Kaikan Museum. That being said, I may or may not be interviewing for a position under the larger Mr. T umbrella. Fingers crossed certainly.

No. I'm visiting family in Nagoya and Osaka... In addition to checking out the Yoshiwara plant, I'll be stopping by the Toyota Kaikan Museum. That being said, I may or may not be interviewing for a position under the larger Mr. T umbrella. Fingers crossed certainly.

Very cool 😎

My LX is from Yoshiwara. 40k miles. Lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom