Quality differences between Yoshiwara and Tahara? (2 Viewers)

Where was your 200 made?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for another 200 and was wondering if there is a difference in quality/precision between the two factories?

Check the 11th digit in your 200 series VIN:
4 = Yoshiwara
5 = Tahara

Yoshiwara. I didn't know there were two plants making the LC. I've got 2,000 miles on mine since I bought it with 48k miles - no issues, squeaks, and rattles. That's in less than a month and I haven't even traveled for work yet. Looks like I'll have to be rebuilding my future icon suspension more often than I thought haha.

Thanks again for recommending the KO2's I love them!

Avoid Yoshiwara like the plague. There is an employee there named Rei that installs the cam tower gaskets. I understand he eats a lot of fried food and puts his greasy mitts on the gaskets which cause cam tower leaks.

Discussed many times already.

Yoshiwara= traditional home of the Toyota Land Cruiser. Formerly Arakawa Auto Body, Formerly ARACO, now Toyota Auto Body.

SANY0144.JPG

SANY0145.JPG

SANY0151.JPG

Tahara Plant: Very large and one of the most technologically advanced "home" plants for Toyota. They started manufacturing the 200 series there in 2010 IIRC to take some of the manufacturing load off of Toyota Auto Body. They make all sorts of awesome there too:

SANY0093.JPG

SANY0092.JPG

My 2008 LX570 is a Yoshiwara. No complaints at all due to assembly; Full disclosure, I used to help run several automotive industry assembly lines, for two different manufacturers. I'm pretty picky.

Avoid Yoshiwara like the plague. There is an employee there named Rei that installs the cam tower gaskets. I understand he eats a lot of fried food and puts his greasy mitts on the gaskets which cause cam tower leaks.

Well that's a bummer. I checked and since my VIN's a 4, my cam tower gaskets were installed by greasy-handed Rei, so I'll have leaks. :rofl:

Well that's a bummer. I checked and since my VIN's a 4, my cam tower gaskets were installed by greasy-handed Rei, so I'll have leaks. :rofl:

Sorry to hear. I think all the LCs are now built at the Yoshi plant, not sure. Hopefully Rei cleaned up his act. :)

@beno : Very cool photos! I know it was discussed previously in one or two other threads but just wanting to know if anyone has seen a difference in manufacturing quality after 10 years. I love my 200 and it feels solid like a rock but want to know for future purchases. I do prefer the Yoshiwara plant for its heritage but checking to see if there was any slight manufacturing issues from the Tahara plant.

So ... who are the two folks who answered "Tahara" in the poll? What year LC200 do they have? Have they experienced any problems?

Mine's Yoshiwara, 2013 LC200, no problems.

HTH

Both my LXs are from Yoshiwara, so assume Tahara is all LCs, per some of Beno and Dan's historical posts on the factories.

The engines are assembled off-site so you cant blame TAB for engine issues.

So ... who are the two folks who answered "Tahara" in the poll? What year LC200 do they have? Have they experienced any problems?

HTH
Same here, yoshiwara, 2011 zero issues.

HTH

My 2011 is Tahara built. I just bought it, but have all the maintenance records. Other than regular maintenance (including brake pads and rotor turning) the only thing done was the water pump (late last year at 73k miles). I did a full crawl under inspection and everything is leak free and clean. Thankfully it didn't have the fruit punch leakage I've seen on other members 200's. :)

The 11th digit of 2009 is a 5 so I guess it was built in Tahara like my 2010 4Runner was.

Any issues with your LC soo far?

My 2009 currently has 95k miles and was at 85k when I bought it. Here are the things I've had to do it so far:

-I'll probably need to replace my water pump in the near future as it's starting to weep.
-I just had to unstuck my rusted KDSS accumulator shutter valve screws.
-I'm going to need to replace the windshield as the wiper heater wires broke off but I believe that was due to improper installation of a new windshield before I purchased the vehicle.
-I also had to replace the driver side windshield molding as it wouldn't stay clipped in place along the roof.
-Installed the side mirror repair kit to fix mirror wiggle.
-Almost forgot the passenger side seatbelt/tensioner is throwing codes and may need replacing.

The engines are assembled off-site so you cant blame TAB for engine issues.

Though remember right when we walked into the chassis line, on the left hand side there were some people sitting at some work stations putting engines together? I seem to recall that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom