Putting out feelers on 1974 FJ40 Worth (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You all are the experts and if this is the wrong part of the forum, I apologize.

I have a 2-family owned 1974 FJ40 FST with 27000 original miles on the original engine. We bought it about 5 years ago from the original family that owned it and they used it for mostly hunting on their ranch.

It has the original paint job, no rust cancer.

This was the find of a lifetime for me and we bought it in the hopes of fixing it up. It had some electrical wiring issues (they rigged up a trailer or something to it but I figured that out). It has a few dents. In the 5 years that we owned it, we kept it in the garage and maybe drove it 300 miles total.

She's a little ornery when you wake her up but once she gets going, she's solid.

We moved a year ago to an awesome old house that doesn't have a garage. I wanted to put in a carport but the city won't let us. That means it has to sit out in the rain and sun - I don't want that. I had a cover on it but it just got moldy underneath. This Central Texas weather is too unpredictable.

Through the years I've collected custom metal half doors, 95% of a pair of factory bows, 2 sets of the Best-top bows, a best-top, a kayline bikini top, 2 carbs, steering wheel, metal seat backs, headrests, an extra center console, jack kit, 2 1968 hard doors that I used for scrap, among other things. I also bought a pair of the original canvas door straps off of an old Toyota mechanic on Ebay. I have the original grease gun, original doors (sans canvas), and as far as I know, everything else on her is original (besides the gas tank and fuel sender that I had to replace). The seats may have been reupholstered at some point.

I have some money into her, and I'd hate to give her up but I'm wondering if it would be wise to just sell her to somebody that can use her rather than have it rot in the backyard.

I'm attaching a few pictures and I'll add some better ones in a little bit.
IMG_0584.JPG
IMG_0833.JPG
I'm in Central Texas.

I would like to see some more photos before I give you an opinion. I'm sure others week feel the same

I'll have some more photos up in a few minutes - waiting for them to transfer to my computer.

Sorry, was having wifi issues. I also put the cattle guard bumper on there and put the seat belts in. I have the original bumper and the original seat belts (I think).

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG

Heater doesn't work (I tried rebuilding but probably didn't put it together right) and radio turns on but no sound - probably needs a new speaker. Also needs a new washer fluid pump. Everything else works great. I was doing backflips when I finally figured out the electrical issue years back and the wipers turned on... It's the little things.

Original owner bought it in California and then removed the emissions crap. Also put little rifle holders everywhere (there was one on the dash pad and more mounted under the jump seats).

Never been one to tell someone what to do with their stuff. . . but if you did sell it I doubt you'd ever find another like it. I wish I could find one in that condition in the Northeast; just too much rust up this way. I would try to find some way to store it. . . even in a rental unit? Suppose it all depends on your passion for the truck as well; if you are "over it" a new home might be the best thing for the truck.
A lot of posts in the archives discuss regret people have from selling their 40s. . . hate to see you fall in that category.

Never been one to tell someone what to do with their stuff. . . but if you did sell it I doubt you'd ever find another like it. I wish I could find one in that condition in the Northeast; just too much rust up this way. I would try to find some way to store it. . . even in a rental unit? Suppose it all depends on your passion for the truck as well; if you are "over it" a new home might be the best thing for the truck.
A lot of posts in the archives discuss regret people have from selling their 40s. . . hate to see you fall in that category.
I know what you are saying. I looked for a year for it and spent years just trying to figure out why the electrical was dorked up. I'm a disabled vet and have good days and bad. More bad than good lately. The original plan was to restore it and keep it as an investment. I don't have the energy or ability to wrench on it - I hoped to teach myself but the fatigue tends to get in the way.

We moved, found our dream house (without a damn garage). Figured I could just cover it without the carport but it's not happening. We are in a great town for driving it (little traffic in the historic district) but the lack of coverage for it makes me afraid it's going to destroy it. The closest storage units are about 10 miles away.

Right now, it's yard art. Wife doesn't really want to let it go, and neither do I but we just don't use it. Everybody that looks at it gets excited and says "It's a survivor!" - I don't want to be the one that kills it. Don't know if any of that made sense. But, yeah. I know what you are saying.

That thing looks great!

I don't see $15,000-$20,000.00 sitting here. Maybe I am missing something. I would think with original fst bars and doors $8,000.00-$11,000.00 range.

With that being said, the only opinion that matters is the guy who has the checkbook open!

Last edited:
I agree a FST or quality reproduction with bows would add value, nice rig and good luck with the sale!

I don't see $15,000-$20,000.00 sitting here. Maybe I am missing something. I would think with original fst bars and doors $8,,000.00-$11,000.00 range.

With that being said, the only opinion that matters is the guy who has the checkbook open!

Ive got tunnelvision from dealing with mine being at the bodyshop, lol.

Master/slave cylinder need replaced, could be leaking? Are you sure on the 27k mikes, documentation? That alone would bring value up. I'd say you could get $11-15 all day long. I'm not seeing $20, but if you do get $20 my '74 will be for sale this week. Good luck and very nice 40.

That's a nice truck and for some comparison, I purchased a 74 Hard top a few years ago, 66K original miles, from Original owner, inland California garaged truck, but with the ubiquitous fender flares, for around 12K.

The Market has changed a lot in the last few years, so I'd say if the original top and bows were there, it could be a 15K truck or more, but you'll just have to ebay it to find out....

Any documentation to prove it's really 27K miles and not 127?

Beautiful house, btw....

Master/slave cylinder need replaced, could be leaking? Are you sure on the 27k mikes, documentation? That alone would bring value up. I'd say you could get $11-15 all day long. I'm not seeing $20, but if you do get $20 my '74 will be for sale this week. Good luck and very nice 40.
Thanks - I need to look closer at it. I had it replaced a few years ago and the gunk never was cleaned up. So that might be what you are seeing. I want to say the dude I got it from had some compression test or something done that confirmed the no-turnover on the mileage. I need to see if I can find that paperwork. The story was that it was purely a ranch/hunting vehicle. When they didn't hunt on their ranch they would tow it to another. I guess driving it back from California was the most miles they put on it. Probably didn't want to drive in it too long after that.
Years ago, I had a lead on some original bows but I didn't follow up on it. Didn't have the money. The set I have are missing a piece or two (don't remember) that span the top of the 40.
Also had an OCD soft top but the dude sent the wrong color and I sold it.
I definitely have some thinking to do. It's fun as hell to drive but we just don't drive it that much. My daughter and wife don't like riding in the back, which is a shame because we have a State Park just up the road.
Crap, I forgot I also have a bestop bench seat for the back that I never installed (got it for the wife and daughter).
Anyways, I have a lot to think about and weigh out.
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom