PTO Winch Information (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So Pete how many five speeds in the 40 series were Japan? That's the real unicorn. PTOs and rear axle full floaters weren't really that hard to find without taking out a second mortgage.

Lots of PTO winches, full floaters and H55's out here but all the 5 speeds are 60/70 series we never got them in our 40 series cruisers, there might be one or two around in the odd BJ43/44 that came in secondhand from japan in the early 1990's but most of the secondhand JDM trucks we got were 60/70/80 not 40 series. Complete PTO winches sell for $300-500 NZD ($200-320 USD), the last full floater I got I was given, the one before that I paid $80 NZD ($50 USD) complete with LSD head, hubs, axles and half the brakes, H55's tend to sell around the $600-800 NZD ($400-500 USD) complete with split transfer case but the last one I picked up complete was $300 NZD ($200 USD)

Last edited:
I'm not sure how many five speeds were sold here. I seen some trucks for sale online that have them. To get a five speed you probably have to buy a whole truck.

Pete

Lots of PTO winches, full floaters and H55's out here but all the 5 speeds are 60/70 series we never got them in our 40 series cruisers, there might be one or two around in the odd BJ43/44 that came in secondhand from japan in the early 1990's but most of the secondhand JDM trucks we got were 60/70/80 not 40 series. Complete PTO winches sell for $300-500 NZD ($200-320 USD), the last full floater I got I was given, the one before that I paid $80 NZD ($50 USD) complete with LSD head, hubs, axles and half the brakes, H55's tend to sell around the $600-800 NZD ($400-500 USD) complete with split transfer case but the last one I picked up complete was $300 NZD ($200 USD)

I have two 8/80 and later full floating rear axles off 4X series. I had to pay more then $50 for them but it was still cheaper then buying one there and then shipping it here. Containers is really the only way to get these over here other then the top cover off a 4X series H55f. Possibly the same with a split case PTO. Full axle or T/T combo shipping kills the deal. Curious how many post 78 4X series have you found with the factory PTO winch? The drivelines for those are hard to find here. Shipping wouldn't be too bad on the 83+ but would require taking the U joints apart and shipping in three shorter pieces. If you do find one I believe Lostmarbles (Tom) is needing one from a 79+. Thinking shipping in New Zealand would be possible.

I'm not sure how many five speeds were sold here. I seen some trucks for sale online that have them. To get a five speed you probably have to buy a whole truck.

Pete

Keep of what I figured. Personally wouldn't buy a RHD FJ40 and ship it to the US even if it had a five speed. May consider a BJ42 LX model with a five speed or a mid wheel base like you have. Do either of yours have a five speed? Am I right that there are very few LWB trucks and troop carriers in Japan? Even rarer then the other models?

I was moving the PTO drive line and noticed It can be taken apart without breaking down the U joints. There is a bolt by the U joint that allows the shaft to come apart by pillow block bearings so they can be replaced. Thought is might be good information for this threat. This is off a 84 HJ47 from the Australian market .

I really trying to get my Toyota PTO winch up and running. I have spent 6 years restoring my 71 FJ40 and the Winch in my last big item. I started restoring the winch and noticed I am missing the Clutch Lever both top and bottom. I thought I would make a few calls or send a few emails and find what I needed, I was wrong. I love my FJ40, wanted one my whole life ( well from 10 years old or so on) I am now in my 50s finally have one, spent years getting it nice and the cherry ( PTO winch) I was going to put on to make it that much cooler is missing a critical part that I cannot locate. I really do not want to wait another 6 years to complete her. Honestly my health is failing and I do not know how many more years I will be able to enjoy her. So if anyone out there in the world has a trashed PTO winch 70s era with the clutch lever ( the lever with the little knob that engages and disengages the winch and also controls the little brake pad) please sell it to me. I pay for you time to remove it and your time and gas to take it the post office or other shipper and pay you a very fair price for the part. If it sounds like i am begging it is because I am. If you have the part please contact me through a conversation on MUD. Thanks

Well, I'm finally ready to wrap my winch with some new 5/16 wire rope. Question on securing the rope end on the drum. Do you do anything other stick the wire rope through the hole and tighten the bolts or do you put a u-bolt on the end, just to prevent the rope pulling through.

Thanks,
Ron

Just stick it thru the clamp and tighten the 2 bolts. It's having a number of wraps on the drum that actually secures the rope during use.

Pete

image.jpeg

image.jpg
Then I find a long slight slope and pull the weight of the car up the slope with the winch to get a good tight wrap.

Good write up!

Older winch head castings have the worm shaft extending all the way through the worm case, which means if the sheer pin sheers then you can wind the drum off with a socket. Modern castings don't have it, and also don't have the filler hole near the top of the housing.
@landyNZ I have a 78 FJ40 with a PTO, do you have a manual you can take pics of for that year timeframe?

Hi all! Just received my first pto winch. It’s seems in pretty good shape, (thanks shelfboy!) the worm gear output shaft where the shear pin goes is now oblong Someone actually welded the u joint to the worm gear output shaft at some point . I have since removed the weld.

My question is, and this may be the wrong thread but...can I weld the hole shut and re-drill for a new shear pin? I know I can but, will I be facing in unintended consequences?

Thanks for any input

Bill

Bill,

In the beginning of this thread, we talked about drilling out the pin hole and using a larger bolt instead of the factory shear pin. I added metal to beef up the around the hole. You might think about doing the same.

I looked through this and other threads for a parts number for the worm gear output shaft seals, I’m assuming the front and back seals r the same. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks!

@Billsboat
I looked through this and other threads for a parts number for the worm gear output shaft seals, I’m assuming the front and back seals r the same. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks!

Assuming you are referencing 38135A in the picture, below,
upload_2018-12-31_22-8-52.png

Looks like OEM part no. 90311-28004 is the seal for both the front and back of the PTO worm shaft. About $9 list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom