PTO Winch Information (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I belive so .
When I have rebuild mine , I used standard industrial seals .
they work just fine .
pls remember that the dimensions are metric .

bye Renago

Happy Saturday to all. Just got my factory pto winch up and running today, after changing seals on pto gear box and the winch, alonge with bearing and seals on the pillow block. I’m waiting to get my rollers back from the machine shop. So it seems the gearbox has something in it backwards. The reason I say this is that it will only roll in if the transmission it in reverse. The winch seems to work fine in reverse, so I’m not sure if I care that my winch is “ custom”. But out of curiosity, is the gear that is causing this reversible

Also, the (single) 3 speed drive shaft had been converted to accommodate a 4 speed at some point in it’s life. What I have is a 3 speed so it now has been converted back. As a result it has been welded a few times, and is not as straight as it once was (I’m guessing). So it has a bit of wobble as it rotates. I’m wondering what, if any wobble is expectable. Thanks

I'm not sure I quite follow your question but I will take a shot.

The direction the winch spools in is dictated by the transmission. The winch spools IN when the transmission is in a forward gear (the higher the gear, the faster the line speed) and it spools OUT when the transmission is in reverse.

The cable wraps over the top of the drum on the PTO winch as opposed to under the drum on an electric winch.

there should not be much wobble at the pillow blocks but they do tend to be a bit sloppy at the yokes.

I'm not sure I quite follow your question but I will take a shot.

The direction the winch spools in is dictated by the transmission. The winch spools IN when the transmission is in a forward gear (the higher the gear, the faster the line speed) and it spools OUT when the transmission is in reverse.

The cable wraps over the top of the drum on the PTO winch as opposed to under the drum on an electric winch.

there should not be much wobble at the pillow blocks but they do tend to be a bit sloppy at the yokes.
Thanks for responding! Sorry I was not clear. So , when in forward gears the spool winds out, when in reverse it rolls in. So my question is...something in the pto gear box is in backwards, is that gear reversible. Can it be flipped 180 degrees? Thanks

No. In forward gears the spool winds in. Reverse winds out.

Thanks again! I understand how it is suppose to work. What I’m trying to describe is how mine IS working. And my question is, can I go into the pto gear box and flip one of the gears 180 degrees and make mine work the way it should.

Please redefine the symptoms. Are you saying that the winch will only function when the transmission is in reverse?

You probably have the cable spooled incorrectly. As I originally stated, PTO winch cables spool over the top of the drum. I suspect you are trying to spool under the drum.

You should look like this:
20190112_193037.jpg

Note that the cable is going over the top of the drum, not underneath.

Cruiserdan, thanks so much for you time, it is truly appreciated!

I don’t have the cable on the spool yet. That said, I do understand how the cable is to go on to the spool. And I understand that in forward gears the spool “should” roll in, pulling the cable in over the top of the spool. What I’m trying to explain is that my winch is doing the opposite of what it should be doing.

This winch is new to me, but the previous owner I suspect had the same issue as the angle iron for the front mount has been cut away so the cable could feed from the bottom of the spool.

Do you have any photos of the winch available?

Cruiserdan, thanks so much for you time, it is truly appreciated!

I don’t have the cable on the spool yet. That said, I do understand how the cable is to go on to the spool. And I understand that in forward gears the spool “should” roll in, pulling the cable in over the top of the spool. What I’m trying to explain is that my winch is doing the opposite of what it should be doing.

This winch is new to me, but the previous owner I suspect had the same issue as the angle iron for the front mount has been cut away so the cable could feed from the bottom of the spool.

Since you don't yet have the rope on the drum are you sure you aren't visualizing the direction that the drum should be moving in your mind wrong? I am not exactly sure what your issue is but just to make sure that we are all on the same page as far as putting the rope on a winch. How you wind the cable or rope around the winch drum DIRECTLY affects the direction that the rope will move (in or out) in relation to the winch drum. If you run a winch in the exact same rotational direction, lets say foward in this case. Wrapping the rope from the top of the winch drum will make the winch rope move in one direction, while winding from the bottom of the drum will make the rope move in the opposite direction even though the winch drum is moving in the exact same rotational (foward) direction. The rope direction changes with wrapping from the top or from the bottom of the drum. I am not positive but I don't think you can have a gear backwards to make the winch direction actually reverse. I could be completely wrong on this though. I am far from being an expert on any PTO winch.

Take a pencil and a string and use it as a small scale model of your winch. Take the pencil and wrap a piece of string around it. Rotate the pencil away from you and see what the direction the string is moving in or out. Now flip the pencil 180 degrees and make absolutely sure that you still rotate the pencil away from you just like you did the first time. The direction that the string is moving should now be exactly opposite of what it was before. Even though the rotational direction of the pencil is exactly the same what changed was weither the string was coming over the top of the pencil or from the bottom of the pencil and that is what changed the direction of the string not the direction of the drum.

Again since I don't know that much about PTO winches what I believe that @cruiserdan was saying that your winch rope should be wrapped around the drum with the rope coming over the top of the drum and leaving the winch. If wrapped over the top of the drum the rope should move in if the transmission in foward. Transmission in reverse the rope should spool out. I believe that you have all that already figured out.

Electric winches are exactly the opposite as they are all wrapped under the drum. Wrapping under the drum also keeps the load and shear forces concentrated down lower near the base of the winch instead of at the top.

Hopefully if you already knew all this then maybe it will help someone else. :cheers:

Last edited:
Ok, its time for @Billsboat to identify exactly what equipment he has. Every piece of advice stated above is true for OEM components, which has me wondering about what might be different with billsboat's arrangement.

Looks factory to me.
I can't think of a way to make it run backwards.

@Billsboat

Here is the winch with out the spoolView attachment 1877993

Great. Where is the PTO unit, which is bolted to the transfer case? And, what about the PTO engagement linkage? Is the PTO unit and the transfer linkage the three position version, (My older version OEM PTO unit has a three position lever, the middle position disengaged, forward position, and rearward positions alternatively give the winch three speeds of winding out or winding in.) I'm wondering what your equipment is.

My bet is that the gears in the PTO have been inverted ,
Or more likely the leverage is working reverse .
That PTO is from the 1 or 2 series , and can activate also a rear winch , or pump or anything you need .

My 2 cents

Renago

@Billsboat

Great. Where is the PTO unit, which is bolted to the transfer case? And, what about the PTO engagement linkage? Is the PTO unit and the transfer linkage the three position version, (My older version OEM PTO unit has a three position lever, the middle position disengaged, forward position, and rearward positions alternatively give the winch three speeds of winding out or winding in.) I'm wondering what your equipment is.

Mine is on a 74 Series and it is only on/off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom