Projects while keeping distance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just replaced the front strut and spring assemblies on my 98 Taco. Bought OME 2880 coils and Nitro shocks all around from Cruiser outfitters. Man, what a difference in ride. Those stock coils and and billies were awful! Gonna probably do a Toytec add a leaf for now and call it good. @pappy , I was thinking about having my clutch replaced at Toyomasters as well. Good to know you trust them!

IMG_20200704_082908707_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200704_082922475_HDR.jpg

@pappy , I was thinking about having my clutch replaced at Toyomasters as well. Good to know you trust them!

My appointment is on Wednesday. I will let you know how it goes. They have been good to me in the past, but that was over 10 years ago.

My appointment is on Wednesday. I will let you know how it goes. They have been good to me in the past, but that was over 10 years ago.
I had nothing but good service from ToyoMasters, in the last 2 years. Chris is a good , honest mechanic. IMHO.

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure the shop that I paid to assemble my front struts before delivery did one of them incorrectly.

The incorrect strut won't fit on either side of the vehicle in any orientation where the top hats sit flush in the frame and can be bolted. At first, we thought we had the wrong strut on the wrong side. We got the other new strut and the driver side install went perfectly. It was a breeze.

Then we went back to the other new strut (the incorrectly assembled one) and it still doesn't fit the passenger side in any orientation. The picture I have is the closest it will get. If we flip it 180°, it sits even more perpendicular with respect to the control arm mount (and is obviously incorrect).

So we're at a loss. We've called it a night instead of getting the lift done for 4th of July. I'm not putting the rear suspension in until I hear back from the guy who runs this shop/website.

20200704_195813.jpg

20200704_195818.jpg

20200704_195816.jpg

20200704_195823.jpg

That’s common as it’s hard to get them perfectly lined up when they’re not on the vehicle. When I did mine, I just grab what ever tool I had laying around to put through the bolt hole and twist it into alignment. You’ll twist it a little extra and then it will settle into place.

That’s common as it’s hard to get them perfectly lined up when they’re not on the vehicle. When I did mine, I just grab what ever tool I had laying around to put through the bolt hole and twist it into alignment. You’ll twist it a little extra and then it will settle into place.
That's what I did when installing my struts the other day. The passenger side was slightly off so I had to take a long screwdriver and twist it into place. Helps to have a second set of hands while doing that and lining up the hole in the bracket for the bolt.

Alright, thanks for the replies. I'm fairly annoyed by this as I paid a service for it to be done, and they advertise it as being a turn-key install. I'll deal with it.

That's what I did when installing my struts the other day. The passenger side was slightly off so I had to take a long screwdriver and twist it into place. Helps to have a second set of hands while doing that and lining up the hole in the bracket for the bolt.

Mine won't budge or turn with a pry bar. Do I have to loosen the top nut on the shock?

What coils did you get?
They're OME coils.

But I have a whole different problem now. The bolt for the lower shock mount rounded off the threads as I was tightening it. Thankfully I was able to back the nut off.

I'm calling it quits for the weekend. :bang:

20200705_170505.jpg

Chase them with a die.

I got my front brakes done this afternoon. I used auto zone parts due to lack of funds couple years ago and had a death wobble. I went with Power Stop sever truck and tow kit. Will see how they hold up but they feel way better.

20200705_190851.jpg

I got my front brakes done this afternoon. I used auto zone parts due to lack of funds couple years ago and had a death wobble. I went with Power Stop sever truck and tow kit. Will see how they hold up but they feel way better.

View attachment 2362802

Can confirm I'm using Autozone Ceramics on the 5th gen and I hate them. Power stops for the win.

Do both Toyota dealers in town seriously not stock their own nuts and bolts? I had to 3 day order all the new bolts for the lower shock mounts. What if a service customer needed one replaced? "Sorry, 3 days?"

Last edited:
Do both Toyota dealers in town seriously not stock their own nuts and bolts? I had to 3 day order all the new bolts for the lower shock mounts. What if a service customer needed one replaced? "Sorry, 3 days?"

That is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom