Projecting, tinkering, fiddle-farting around: whatcha building? (1 Viewer)

TYM4FUN

SILVER Star
Anyone here do 3D printing? I need some small parts made and I can mail you the part for dimensions.
Check here:

Quick little job ended up at my house this week. Son is getting new siding and he wanted to rehab the vent in his hot tub room:

imagejpeg_0002.jpg

Naturally, this being a good 20+ years old, it's no longer available. But it was in pretty good condition all things considered.

It had some pretty bad rust on a couple of the internal/lower sections, so a quick trip through the blast cabinet removed the heaviest of it. It them went into the laundry tub with some Super Clean. The brownish color melted off it with only minor scrubbing. Looked like chocolate milk running down the drain. The previous owner of the house didn't prep the galvanize steel before painting. And I think he just put regular latex house paint on it. Which made my job a whole lot easier:

20210609_095114.jpg
20210609_095155.jpg

I applied some converter to the rusted areas, waited a day, then hit the bottom and a few other areas with cold galvanizing spray:

20210610_105708.jpg

Not going to top coat the bottom, as it won't be seen, and it will need some silicone sealer on the flange area.

Blew a coat of Rustoleum Bonding primer on it (supposed to work well on galvanized metal), then after 30 minutes of drying in the sun, hit it with three coats of Rustoleum Dark Brown satin:

20210610_113212.jpg

Should be good to go in another day or two after the paint cures a bit more.

Then on to the next 'project'...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom