Builds Project X (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Off topic a bit, but could I ask how well the Mark VIII fan cools the truck? I am thinking about using one of these in my hybrid 79 series on 80 series frame build as I don't have enough space to run the OEM VC fan on the 1FZ-FE with the 79 series front end being just a bit shorter than the 80 series.

Thanks.

Did just fine. More than enough cfm. They are loud and difficult to control though because of their high current load. I used a DC Controls controller and it worked fine. A big a$$ relay also works, but the fan is to noisy for me to run all the time.

good looking shocks .. valving you choose .?

little hi jack .. your opinion on those tires ?

thanks !

Went with custom valving that Slee recommended for the weight of the vehicle also taking into consideration that personally I like more Rebound valving than most. Charged them at 175 PSI Nitrogen as well. Tires are great. Not proven themselves to be better than the first gen MTR, but at least as good. They work amazing on road as well.

headlight bezel

We came home and started an immitation build of your rig. Starting from the headlight bezel back. Rod found an original bezel somewhere with the landcruser engraved on it. So I guess technically the wanna be project x build has begun. Just countless hours and thousands of dollars remain. Gonna make it sea green though. Ha!

After 10 years since it was first built and 4 years since the last post, its time for a update and facelift...new winch control and fan controller turned into a complete revamp of the engine side of the electrical. Changing the dash configuration with the new cluster from Dakota Digital and water jet cut dash panel with added glovebox. I am finally going to clean up the LineX on the fenders and repaint the cowl and hood. Also started a set of half doors using a pretty nice set of factory 64 doors which will be painted body color at the same time. This old girl doesn't get wheeled much anymore, so its time to get her looking good again.

IMG_20160225_123130607 (1).jpg

IMG_20160225_103234303 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Great to see a post on the legendary project Gary. Thanks again for your advice on building one of these-- I am accumulating parts, so your words were not wasted.

Like the angles on those doors! What is the plan to cap them off? I bent my caps with 1/4 radius bends and like the look, but I learned that you have to weld them in place in the door, otherwise they can really twist and warp and suddenly not fit.

Mine are still on a shelf; however, I wonder how hot they will be when installed in the sun, such that it is not comfortable on your arm.

Already capped them off with 18ga sheet metal. Tacked them with the doors mounted then finish welded them on the bench. I plan on doing some kind of top for an armrest, just not sure yet.

Dakota Digital dash has turn signals, high beams, check engine light and does away with adapter boxes for tach and speed. Has everything built in. I wont be using the LC bezel instead water jet cutting the new dash panel to fit around the gauge cluster like the LC bezel.

vhx-62T-FJ-k-b_lg2.jpg

I plan on doing some kind of top for an armrest, just not sure yet.

I used some pipe insulation, readily available at Home Depot. Not fancy, but when it wears out, it costs about $6 to replace.

Love this build. The added touches will be nice addition.

Man, I love this truck!

Dakota Digital dash has turn signals, high beams, check engine light and does away with adapter boxes for tach and speed. Has everything built in. I wont be using the LC bezel instead water jet cutting the new dash panel to fit around the gauge cluster like the LC bezel.

View attachment 1215732
are you using that with the 80 series wiring or did that all get replaced a while ago when you redid wiring? trying to figure out what i'm going to do in the pickle when i put fat bastards engine in there

are you using that with the 80 series wiring or did that all get replaced a while ago when you redid wiring? trying to figure out what i'm going to do in the pickle when i put fat bastards engine in there
Sorry Ige, just now saw this, Yes and no. The cluster is a super easy wiring job using whatever senders you have in the engine. The fuel tank wiring and speedo are equally simple by using a programming momentary switch at empty, 1/3 and 2/3. Done. Speedo is using same momentary switch pushed at 1 mile at 60mph..

This is the build [as well as west aussie's dad's 45 funeral tale] that brought me to Mud. And despite the volume of 40/80 builds in progress Down Under this for me is the original and best. I have shared this thread twenty times or more because it's a how-to and I will be referring to it when I build my own 45/80. So glad you're back Gary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom