Builds Project Pikachu: 1977 FJ40 (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While Pikachu is torn apart, I'm refreshing a lot of little things. Trying not to obsess too much, since this rig is a driver and not a show truck.

I was able to remove and re-gasket the leaky top plate of my transfer case while I had access to it. Im also going to install a couple of new gaskets on the lower part of the case as well. In a perfect world, this will solve the 2 oil leaks on the t-case, but I'm just smart enough to know that it's a old 40.

Thanks for the Aisin FIPG recommendation, @wngrog. Picked up a tube from Cruiser Outfitters. I like how this stuff goes on.
IMG_5002.jpeg

New firewall grommets and kick vent gaskets from City Racer.
IMG_5017.jpeg

Fresh coat of paint on the roll bar.
IMG_4987.jpeg

Heater cleaning. Quite a bit of fur from my Husky riding shotgun.
IMG_5018.jpeg

Painted some rare OEM heater line bits and pieces that I bought a couple of summers ago. Perfect time to put these in the mix.
IMG_4986.jpeg

A little diversion.

When I pulled the transmission cover/hump, there was a good bit of rust around the edges. I'm guessing it's mainly from Mississippi humidity way back when. So, I posted up on our local Rising Sun page and was able to find a clean one from a '76 up in Berthoud, CO.

Took a little day trip up there and got to know a fellow Cruiserhead, Mike. He had a really cool shop with a 60, and 45, a 40, and some other classic cars. I loaded up the chunk of steel in my commuter Honda and took my time making my way back southwest to Divide.

IMG_4984.jpeg

I always enjoy any excuse to drive up to Northern Colorado. Some fond memories of that area.

In 1998, my childhood buddy, Fred, and I decided to leave Mississippi for the summer and head West. Both of our sets of parents had simultaneously gotten divorced and I guess we both wanted to escape the drama that was going on. We loaded up the Cherokee and the Jimmy and we rolled until we got to Fort Collins, Colorado. He ended up working as a bartender and I got a job working front desk at a hotel. Worked front desk/bellhop 4PM to midnight every day and skinny-dipped in Horsetooth Reservoir with my coworkers until sunup several times a week after our shift. I could go on and on about that summer.

The adventure ultimately cost me a long-term high school/college girlfriend, but I learned some valuable lessons about life and independence that year and I don't think I'd change a thing.

Yours truly on the right. Fred on the left. We are still good buds.
IMG_5023.jpeg

Thank you. It was a task, but well worth it.

No drips from the transfer case yet, either.
Did you just pull off all the covers and replace with paper gaskets or did you use FIGP?

Truck looks great, did you find the source of the loose wire?

My thinking is that it is the rear heater wire but the wire terminal housing isn't correct to the heater plug, but everything else points to rear heater.

Last edited:
Truck looks great, did you find the source of the loose wire?

My thinking is that it is the rear heater wire but the wire terminal housing isn't correct to the heater plug, but everything else points to rear heater.
Thanks.

No, I never did find what that wire went to. I zip tied it and stashed it back under the firewall.

Good point about the rear heater. I have it, but it's not installed. Could be what it's for.

Got the Ranger stuck trying to plow a path to the cabin. Pretty sure my back road won’t be accessible for a while. Got stuck in the first 50' of the attempt.

We've had a couple of feet of snow on the ground in the woods since November/December, and this latest 4' dump has made it sporty back there. It difficult to even hike on foot. Gonna be a green summer.

IMG_5340.jpeg

Luckily, I can check on things with the drone to verify doors are closed and that the awakening bears are staying out.
DJI_0159.jpeg

Got the Ranger stuck trying to plow a path to the cabin. Pretty sure my back road won’t be accessible for a while. Got stuck in the first 50' of the attempt.

We've had a couple of feet of snow on the ground in the woods since November/December, and this latest 4' dump has made it sporty back there. It difficult to even hike on foot. Gonna be a green summer.

View attachment 3587774
Luckily, I can check on things with the drone to verify doors are closed and that the awakening bears are staying out.
View attachment 3587778
What a gorgeous spot!

Screwing around on our main road this morning and caught the snow bank with my ds wheel. Pulled me right off the road into waist deep snow before I could even react.

Just had to dig deep enough to lock both hubs, which was ROUGH in flip flops, let me tell you.

IMG_5371.jpeg

IMG_5374.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom