Builds Project - EffjJay Eighty - 2UZ powered (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

that's pretty skookum

Wow! I just read the entire thread. Very detailed. Thanks for sharing!

Sick build man! Just read this start to finish. I picked up Jason89i's 2UZ swap back in April of 2011. My truck has 35,000 miles on the conversion and is running great. Its still my dd and I absolutely love it. Getting about 13.5 mpg combined. Just tried to trade up for a hundred series and can't do it, the hundred is soo sluggish compared to the swapped 80.

Any updates to report on your rig?

Overlander80, I just saw your post -

Updates - I just removed the custom LED's I did in the cluster. They all fried. I got some of the shallow pnp 194 led kits from the local parts store. They look nearly as nice. It's good to have the lights back on. Lol

I'm starting to do the aisin hub swap and I'm saving for the marks4wd ABS relocate kit.
Searching for the best price on a new hub stud kit too. Mine are old and thrashed from being installed and removed so many times.
I'm at 11-12mpg city, but all 4 of my o2's are toast.

How's Jason's old rig treating you?

That seems very low... do you really think it is the O2 sensors or do you drive it like you stole it? ;)
I would have hoped to see better numbers...

you also shouldn't have 4 O2 sensors

you also shouldn't have 4 O2 sensors
What jetranger said - Two upstream and two downstream. Different than some of the AF sensors other rigs have. These are true o2's.

That seems very low... do you really think it is the O2 sensors or do you drive it like you stole it? ;)
I would have hoped to see better numbers...
Whats odd is that it gets the same MPG whether I sit in traffic, or go 60mph on the hwy.
Two things I believe have an effect, the roof rack with the lights/shovel/hi-lift jack acting as an air brake. Also with me and half tank of gas, this pig weighed 6275 at a local weigh station a few years back. The early tundra's weren't known for much more than 14-15 mpg hwy and they weigh less. There are some exceptions obviously, but they arent full time AWD either.

I found out that Trail Gear has offered some BA parts for our rigs for a while now. I decided to do some much needed maint on the rig.
I picked up the TG upgraded hub stud kit, new birf snap rings and the billet spindle nuts.
Also, because I was worried about losing my ABS - I started searching for alternate means of mounting sensors. I found that Marks4wd of Australia makes a relocation kit. Long story short, I was telling my buddy about it... and we'll just say he's an amazing friend and bought it for me for x-mas.

So now ill maintain ABS which is mandatory for my wife and I.

Now i'm thinking about doing a part time adapter and removing the coupler in the t-case, that should net some MPG gain.

While i've heard wild claims of 4-5mpg from this kit - I would be happy to gain 2.5mpg for the front hubs, the 2wd (downgrade lol)
and the o2's. I think that's fairly realistic. Perhaps folding my roof rack lighting to the side or making a sloped removable cover would help ?
What do you guys think ?

While i've heard wild claims of 4-5mpg from this kit - I would be happy to gain 2.5mpg for the front hubs, the 2wd (downgrade lol)and the o2's. I think that's fairly realistic. Perhaps folding my roof rack lighting to the side or making a loped removable cover would help ?
What do you guys think ?

You will more than likely see no gain in MPG at all converting to a real part time setup in an 80 series truck.

oh sorry, totally missed the boat on this!!!! I was brain dead thinking 1FZFE.... two sensors... my bad!

The logic for converting is two-fold really:

1. Lessen the wear and tear on front end components by lessening the moving and engaged parts.

2. Because true Land Cruisers have a part time set up. :lol:

I figure ill go for it and report my findings.

PS: I see what you did there :hillbilly:

searched-derp-dog-found-my-new-i-see-what-you-did-there-meme.gif

Overlander80, I just saw your post -

Updates - I just removed the custom LED's I did in the cluster. They all fried. I got some of the shallow pnp 194 led kits from the local parts store. They look nearly as nice. It's good to have the lights back on. Lol

I'm starting to do the aisin hub swap and I'm saving for the marks4wd ABS relocate kit.
Searching for the best price on a new hub stud kit too. Mine are old and thrashed from being installed and removed so many times.
We
How's Jason's old rig treating you?

Glad this thread got some life back.....Jason did a killer job on the swap and it still blows me away how much I enjoy driving this truck every day. There were a few little items to sort out but nothing too major. At 225k on the chassis and 55k on the 2UZ it pulls so strong and handles tight to the point that it actually feels a little sporty. I know that sounds crazy but it does, and I get on the track a couple times a year with an old 911.

Been daily driving an 80 series for over 10 years now (Slowly built my other 80 back in 2003-2004) and with this 2uz swap in a triple locked rig I don't see myself being satisfied with anything else any time soon. Occasionally, second guessing myself, I will drive a buddies newer heep, tacoma, tundra, tahoe, etc expecting to see the light as to why I should get a newer ride and they all feel inferior, and not nearly as unique. Originally when I bought this from Jason I thought I would dd it for a year or two then take all my armor, lift, winch, etc off my rusty trail 80 and enlist it to trail duty but there is no way, it's just too good on the street.

Glad to hear your rig is treating you well and look forward to hearing more on the part time kit install and the abs relocation. Your skills are incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom