prevent nav screen yellowing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yellowing seems to be a problem for the nav screen. I assume this is due to UV exposure. I've seen the thread on replacing the screen, but is there a protective film that has UV blocking characteristics? I have found screen protectors for scratches and dings, but no UV protection.

I'm not sure how prevalent the yellowing of the screen actually is. I've not seen it discussed very much, so I would assume that it isn't widespread.

FWIW, my 2008 has no yellowing still to date, and has lived in the south it's whole life, and has only been garaged periodically.

Whether it's widespread or not, some screens yellow. Is it due to UV or heat? How can it be prevented. Headlights yellow due to UV so I suspected it's the same for the nav screen and some sort of film could protect it.

If the screen has yellowed, I don't know of any way to rehab it aside from replacement. Headlights are exterior components without all that comes with being a touchscreen, etc.

Prevention in my book would be UV blocking films on your windows.

Really we need more data. I'm on here a lot and can only remember a couple of mentions of this issue.. @trudd was maybe one of them?

For instance, I know tinted windows became standard in around 2010.. More instances on 08-09?
LC vs LX

My LC is a 13 with almost 200k and has spent the last 6 years in texas sun, but with religious use of a windshield shade. No hint of yellowing.

Really we need more data. I'm on here a lot and can only remember a couple of mentions of this issue.. @trudd was maybe one of them?

For instance, I know tinted windows became standard in around 2010.. More instances on 08-09?
LC vs LX

My LC is a 13 with almost 200k and has spent the last 6 years in texas sun, but with religious use of a windshield shade. No hint of yellowing.

I don't know much about the cause of the yellowing, or even which component is yellowed (digitizer panel or the actual LCD screen). My experience:
  • My '09 LX had zero yellowing and seemingly tons of UV exposure (Florida, Arkansas, Texas truck)
  • My '10 LX I bought a few months ago had a very yellow screen until I replaced it (Houston, TX single owner, presumably garaged)
  • I have two friends that both had 2011 LXs (TX trucks) and their screens weren't yellowed at all.

Anecdotally, and kind of to @gaijin's point, I'm curious how many folks with this issue have 2010 model year cruisers. The few threads I was able to find seemed to hover around the mid-2010 build date, both LCs and LXs.

As a previous owner of a 2010 LC with a yellow screen, shopping around I noticed that the yellow screen issue seemed to center around 2010-2011 models. Never did figure out why it seemed more common on those two year models. I remember it was an expensive fix to replace the screen if you go that route. My 2014 screen is fine.

As a previous owner of a 2010 LC with a yellow screen, shopping around I noticed that the yellow screen issue seemed to center around 2010-2011 models. Never did figure out why it seemed more common on those two year models. I remember it was an expensive fix to replace the screen if you go that route. My 2014 screen is fine.
Solid data point!

The part number of the Toshiba panel was the same for (at least) model years 08-11. Not sure if it is the same in 2013+. I guess there was a bad batch of some component in the Toshiba panel that affected a limited number of screens.

This also sometimes happens on other Lexus models, particularly on early LS460s 07-09.. I've never really seen it on other years and it seems to be an isolated issue not impacting most.

Funny looked on Autotrader for some 2010’s and saw 3 with very yellow bag screens. LC and LX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom