Pre-1980 FJ40 VIN Information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have access to 2 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruisers. I'm guessing one is a '71 and the other is a '79 based on body style. I have the VINs, but they are both pre-1980. Where can I get some info to help me determine what year they are exactly? Any help is appreciated.

Here's a vin number table complements of SOR.
vin table.jpg

So, if my VINs are 23890 and 75886, then I'm looking at a 1964 (March) and a 1969 (November)? I'll put up some pictures as well.

So, if my VINs are 23890 and 75886, then I'm looking at a 1964 (March) and a 1969 (November)? I'll put up some pictures as well.

Yes. And welcome to Mud. :flipoff2:

Pictures

Here are the 2 I get the pleasure of restoring. Not the best pictures, but it gives you an idea. Now I just need to find a good place to start looking for parts....I'll also need some good suggestions for a place to get a new engine.
DSCN8444.jpg
IMG_20130628_180754_977.jpg
IMG_20130628_181611_528.jpg

71 could be right by the look of the older one, the other looks to be a 77 or 78. If these are both in the US there should be a VIN plate with a production date on the driver's front door jam (A pillar)

I was able to identify the years based on the VINs. I used the chart posted earlier. I've got a '64 & '69. Any suggestions for parts and engine?

vin number, front frame horn. vin plates are easily switched. frames are not ;)

floor shifter in a '69 ? - looks later to me

Specter Off Road for parts. A bunch of other places also ( check the internet ) and Craigslist for local and distant owner parts. MUD is also a great place to find parts. Nuclearlemon is correct, match your Vins from the front frame.

DSRTRDR said:

No transfer case shifter though Claudia, so reckon it was converted from there-on-the-tree. Also obviously not original shifter boot. Also does not have flush rear windows on hard top which were introduced in '72.

aftermarket floor shifter boot, plus look under the steering wheel..the piece where the column shift lever was is still there. floorshift is a conversion

That is not a 64 or maybe the frame. Heater, padded dash, vent on the cowl, hard top, transfer shifter, glove box door, knobs on the dash, reverse light, emblems on the rear and side marker lights are all things you would not find on a 64. But all would be correct for a 70/71.

The vent window in the rear side window, that mirror on the side door and the gas door would only be on a 77/78 correct?

Did you check for a Vin plate on the A pillar.

No transfer case shifter though Claudia, so reckon it was converted from there-on-the-tree. Also obviously not original shifter boot.

aftermarket floor shifter boot, plus look under the steering wheel..the piece where the column shift lever was is still there. floorshift is a conversion

makes sense - mine was already converted when I got it

Find your chassis serial number here;
VID_frame1.jpg

VID-frame_fj40.jpg

Rudi
VID_frame1.jpg
VID-frame_fj40.jpg

I will definitely check the VIN on the bumper. The inside picture comes from the FJ40 under the shed (the later model). Out of curiousity, why would someone swith the VIN plates? Also, if the VIN plates have been switched, is there a place I can go to get a new plate and stamp the original VIN?

Also, thanks for the welcome!! I'm really excited about restoring both of these. I plan on keeping the older one for myself, and working on the newer one with my son for him to have.

Out of curiousity, why would someone swith the VIN plates?

If you put a newer body on an older frame/chassis....... or vice versa.....

Rudi

EnigmaVP said:
I will definitely check the VIN on the bumper. The inside picture comes from the FJ40 under the shed (the later model). Out of curiousity, why would someone swith the VIN plates? Also, if the VIN plates have been switched, is there a place I can go to get a new plate and stamp the original VIN?

Also, thanks for the welcome!! I'm really excited about restoring both of these. I plan on keeping the older one for myself, and working on the newer one with my son for him to have.

The one outside is the later model from all appearances: it's a '77 or '78, where the one under cover is a late '69 ish-'71.

Any chance the one is 275886? That would put it right on the money for the year...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom