Pre-03 nav delete how-to (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@primeral and @chogunn , do either of you happen to have pictures of your metra-head unit spliced and your Amp bypass splices? And TXS if you have pics of yours, even tho it is a different sound system it is a data point that might help!

Last edited:
Looking to tackle this project in the next couple weeks. I have my replacement controller and pigtails, new stereo brackets are on the way and will figure out the head unit and such tonight (I hope).

I'm curious about a couple things:
  1. How did you connect the multiple grounds? Did you use the same solder and seal pieces or did you use another connector type?
  2. Looking at the pin guide PDF, @Patassa posted in post #51 I'm not sure I understand how the "3 or 4 wire joints for ground" work. I see where 11 G (coming from the donor) is attached to multiple plugs from the original pigtails. Do I just make sure all the original pigtail wires are connected to 11 G before soldering in one piece?
  3. For the wires you don't use, what did you use to cap them? Just some shrink wrap or something else all together?

Looking to tackle this project in the next couple weeks. I have my replacement controller and pigtails, new stereo brackets are on the way and will figure out the head unit and such tonight (I hope).

I'm curious about a couple things:
  1. How did you connect the multiple grounds? Did you use the same solder and seal pieces or did you use another connector type?
  2. Looking at the pin guide PDF, @Patassa posted in post #51 I'm not sure I understand how the "3 or 4 wire joints for ground" work. I see where 11 G (coming from the donor) is attached to multiple plugs from the original pigtails. Do I just make sure all the original pigtail wires are connected to 11 G before soldering in one piece?
  3. For the wires you don't use, what did you use to cap them? Just some shrink wrap or something else all together?

That's exactly right, I was able to put all 3 or 4 wires into one of those little solder sleeves and solder them all together.
As for the extra wires, I just made sure they were cut clean so no exposed wire was showing on them and stuffed them out of the way.

That's exactly right, I was able to put all 3 or 4 wires into one of those little solder sleeves and solder them all together.
As for the extra wires, I just made sure they were cut clean so no exposed wire was showing on them and stuffed them out of the way.

Awesome! Thanks for the help. I'll hopefully jump into this next weekend.

I finally got it to work yesterday. I will take pics and write up a report later, but for now I just want to clarify some things for people who are about to do this:
For a 2002 LX 470 ML nav delete and new head unit with amp bypass,:
You do not need the metra harness and you do not need to cut anything other than the speaker wires down where the amp and nav unit where. Many people talk about cutting grounds, but I didn't and it works. The metra harness was useless for my set up and led to more confusion (especially for someone like me who had no clue what they were doing). Just do the nav delete, remove the amp and nav, splice the new stereo harness into the old radio harness, run new speaker wire from new stereo harness to amp location, splice into all 8 speaker wires (2 of them will be in one of the nav harnesses), and you're done. More specifics and pictures to come.

Thanks for all the help everyone! So much better.

Can anyone give me a good link on the antenna adapter they used? I bought the one listed at the beginning of the thread but the female inputs are much larger than the two male ends coming from the antenna.

I’m literally at the same step @fblainen11. Just looked through the thread again and turns out you need an adapter for the micro. Here’s the name I found in thread. Never thought I’d hope for RadioShack to exist again. Hoping Best Buy has them

A662E045-B43E-449E-A6AF-C9A679616965.png

So finished the install this weekend. Took little over 2.5 hours from start to finish (my wife was helping the whole way which was huge time saver). Everything went in without a hitch and was straight forward thanks to the help of everyone who's done it before.

I ran into two hiccups on the stereo install I'll call out to others to help save some time, make sure you get the micro antenna tip adapter I called out in post #468. It wasn't a big deal but a part I had to order and wait a day for. Also, for the antenna power. Make sure you hot wire the blue and blue/white stripe wires as a three way on the metra adapter to get the antenna to move up and down (both on power up as well as using the button on the dash).

One issue I have (independent of the install), it looks like my AC controller had a stroke. The right side back light is super dim (not burned out though). I'm searching for how to replace the bulb so if anyone knows where that thread is and wants to point me towards, I would greatly appreciate the help. Initial searching isn't going well. But I do know how to change my D light and others to LED now!

So finished the install this weekend. Took little over 2.5 hours from start to finish (my wife was helping the whole way which was huge time saver). Everything went in without a hitch and was straight forward thanks to the help of everyone who's done it before.

I ran into two hiccups on the stereo install I'll call out to others to help save some time, make sure you get the micro antenna tip adapter I called out in post #468. It wasn't a big deal but a part I had to order and wait a day for. Also, for the antenna power. Make sure you hot wire the blue and blue/white stripe wires as a three way on the metra adapter to get the antenna to move up and down (both on power up as well as using the button on the dash).

One issue I have (independent of the install), it looks like my AC controller had a stroke. The right side back light is super dim (not burned out though). I'm searching for how to replace the bulb so if anyone knows where that thread is and wants to point me towards, I would greatly appreciate the help. Initial searching isn't going well. But I do know how to change my D light and others to LED now!

I used this thread to plan my light change.
It worked really well. There are some lights that are not illuminated. I haven't opened it back up yet to see what the issue is. The LEDs did not screw in the exact same way, so I am wondering if I under/over tightened some of them. Maybe I just received some duds. I plan to order a few more and replace the problematic ones and see what happens. Overall, it seems to be a good solution.
I ordered 8 of these.
Others on this thread have tried this.
You'll need 8 lights for all of the non-clock/temp lights - there are mixed reviews about changing that "bar" of lights. Read through the thread and you'll understand what I am talking about.
One caution is that the screws where pretty hard to remove. I think I may have used a socket wrench, but I can't remember if they had that bolt-backup option. I may have just jammed a larger phillips into them to force them out. All I remember is that it took a while!

I've read thru this thread a few times now, and it all seems straightforward except for one part.

I have an '02 LX with nav and ML. I'd prefer to keep the ML amp and speakers for now. If I understand correctly, I just use the Metra harness for keeping the factory amp (70-8113) for the new headunit, and I'm done on the AV side of things.

Do I have this correct?

I've read thru this thread a few times now, and it all seems straightforward except for one part.

I have an '02 LX with nav and ML. I'd prefer to keep the ML amp and speakers for now. If I understand correctly, I just use the Metra harness for keeping the factory amp (70-8113) for the new headunit, and I'm done on the AV side of things.

Do I have this correct?

That's the correct harness.

Metra harness 70-8113 keep factory amp
Metra harness 70-8116 replace factory amp

Gathering all the parts to make this conversion on my 01 LX470 with ML stereo and factory Nav. Will be my first time working on something like this, so just want to make sure I'm getting/using the right stuff.

I've got the following parts ordered or will be ordering, also looking for :

99 LC bezel with manual A/C controls and rear AC button. Coming with the pigtails/wiring harness. Seller also including the factory radio brackets - will I still need to order the mounts (86211/86212-60071)?

Ordered: Metra 70-8113 Amplifier Integration Harness

Help needed: new head unit. What are the dimensions I need for my head unit? I'm looking for carplay, Android auto, apps like waze/Google maps, AND sirius XM radio.

Solder seal connectors: purchased, I hope these are the right ones: The 200PCS Solder Seal Wire Connectors, Plustool Solder Seal Butt Connectors Heat Shrink Solder Wire Connectors Electrical Insulated Marine Waterproof Automotive Terminals Amazon product ASIN B07JGQFJK2
Heat gun & deflector: purchased

Parking brake bypass: need to purchase based on head unitI believe. Suggestions/answer welcome

Antenna splitter: does this also depend on head unit? Help welcome. Ordered 2x SCOSCHE MDAB 1988-05 GM Micro/Delco Antenna Adapter; Tip only

Backup camera: looking to get a backup camera that I can integrate into this new head unit.

What else do I need? Thanks in advance for the help!

Gathering all the parts to make this conversion on my 01 LX470 with ML stereo and factory Nav. Will be my first time working on something like this, so just want to make sure I'm getting/using the right stuff.

I've got the following parts ordered or will be ordering, also looking for :

99 LC bezel with manual A/C controls and rear AC button. Coming with the pigtails/wiring harness. Seller also including the factory radio brackets - will I still need to order the mounts (86211/86212-60071)?

Ordered: Metra 70-8113 Amplifier Integration Harness

Help needed: new head unit. What are the dimensions I need for my head unit? I'm looking for carplay, Android auto, apps like waze/Google maps, AND sirius XM radio.

Solder seal connectors: purchased, I hope these are the right ones: The 200PCS Solder Seal Wire Connectors, Plustool Solder Seal Butt Connectors Heat Shrink Solder Wire Connectors Electrical Insulated Marine Waterproof Automotive Terminals Amazon product ASIN B07JGQFJK2
Heat gun & deflector: purchased

Parking brake bypass: need to purchase based on head unitI believe. Suggestions/answer welcome

Antenna splitter: does this also depend on head unit? Help welcome. Ordered 2x SCOSCHE MDAB 1988-05 GM Micro/Delco Antenna Adapter; Tip only

Backup camera: looking to get a backup camera that I can integrate into this new head unit.

What else do I need? Thanks in advance for the help!

Not sure on parking brake....I'm assuming for overriding things like video?

As far as size goes, any aftermarket radio from a reputable company is going to fit. It is a standard DIN sizing.

I think there are only two different radio brackets. So if the ones received with the dash piece looks different from what you have you'll be good to go.

Good luck, you seem well prepared!

Look through this thread. There are some fantastic resources. I made a 2 or 3 videos that kind of explain from a 30,000 ft view of what I did.

All of my information I got from others know-how and write-ups.

Technically it's a double DIN. Crutchfield, Best Buy any of reputable site will have a car selector to make sure it will fit. Just call it non-nav.

I would install the head unit first and then see if you need the parking break override.

You only need one micro converter and then the dual antenna adapter. The headunit will take the male adapter from the dual antenna adapter and then the two antenna attachements from teh car going into that.

I may be starting on this within the next week or 2. I have all of the parts you listed minus the parking brake override and head unit.
Check out the one that I am going to get. It is cheap and I think performs all of your desired function. Alpine ILX-W650.
I also have not purchased the backup camera yet either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom