Pre-03 nav delete how-to (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For solder seals and shrink tubing you should really never use a lighter or open flame. The release of the chemicals in most of the shrink tubing is pretty toxic if your not careful. I have made myself pretty sick doing that when I was younger because I would constantly swap speaker equipment. Go to HF and grab a cheap-o heat gun, with the 20% coupon that normally floats around you are looking at like maybe $15, worth the investment.
Good point. But do I need any heat gun attachments? Or are those just a "nice to have"?
Some people are using this: Steinel Reflector Nozzle - for Soldering and Bending Pipes or thawing Frozen Pipes, Nozzle Diameter of 1.30 inches, Formed from high-Grade und Polished Stainless Steel, 07051 Amazon product ASIN B000IHWGKM

Good point. But do I need any heat gun attachments? Or are those just a "nice to have"?
Some people are using this: Steinel Reflector Nozzle - for Soldering and Bending Pipes or thawing Frozen Pipes, Nozzle Diameter of 1.30 inches, Formed from high-Grade und Polished Stainless Steel, 07051 Amazon product ASIN B000IHWGKM

I consider it a nice-to-have. Never needed one but an attachment that focuses the heat to a smaller area would be nice. I think my HF 1500w one, the tip is probably about 2" wide so if you are not careful you can heat other wires/things that are next to it. Just takes some careful planning but again, kinda a nice thing to help the situation.

Finishing up the AC knob conversion now. Still need to do the amp bypass and new speakers. Hopefully that part will be smooth.

Quick question, do you cut and terminate the unused wires from the old harnesses (G, F, H, I)? Or do you just leave them in there.

I cut them and terminated and removed the old plugs. I double checked all wires on there to ensure they were not needed. Make sure everything works first

I finished the nav-delete, but I am struggling with the new head unit. I have a 2002 LX470. I purchased the Metra harness 70-8113 and the Sony AX1000 head unit. Below are screenshots of from the manuals of each product showing the different wires (left = Sony, right = metra). Are my arrows connecting the correct wires? Also if anyone knows where to tie into the parking brake, that would be great.

HU Harness to Metra.png

I bought one of these for my JVC. It was easier than running a wire and I dont need the safety feature. Takes 1 minute to install

I bought one of these for my JVC. It was easier than running a wire and I dont need the safety feature. Takes 1 minute to install

ditto this, also you can see your whole music library and input with they keyboard when moving in Apple CarPlay if you install this.

IMG_20191110_113126.jpg
IMG_20191110_113119.jpg

So these are the 4 speakers wires for the front left door. From the wiring diagram it looks like two go to the tweeter and two go to the main speaker. Am I supposed to splice the two violets and two pinks and then connect those two spliced wires to their corresponding wire in my new 9-wire bundle from the head unit? From what I can tell all of the other speakers don't have separate lines for the tweeters and main speakers coming to the amp.

Also, if anyone has an annotated wiring diagram of the amp bypass, that would be much appreciated! I saw the pictures of the diagram that @TXSunDevil posted, but I don't really understand what I need to do with that... Absolute novice. Not really sure how I've made it this far in the project to be honest hah. Just gotta finish these last two parts! (picture of my amp harnesses below)

IMG_20191110_111604.jpg

Last edited:
On mine I removed the plug from the amp that went out to the speakers and attached the harness coming from the head unit. If you look at the wiring diagram you have to bypass the navigation unit with those pink wires. I cant remember the exact ones but it is in the thread. The navigation used to use that speaker to give commands so that is not longer needed and must be removed.

Okay I think I may understand it. That wiring diagram shows from left to right, Purple (11) - pink (2) - pink (1) - purple (10). It shows the 1 and 10 coming from the amp. And the 11 and 2 going to the speakers. So the wires in the 11 and 2 spot on the nav harness should be the wires going to the speakers, right? And the other two are coming from the amp. So those can be left (or do they need to be connected to each other?)

IMG-20191110-WA0030.jpeg

The signal comes from the amp on wires Pink 1 and Purple 10 and they are switched through the NAV ECU so it can use the speaker to give commands. You need to get the signal from 1 and 10 to 11 and 2 thus bypassing the NAV ECU. You can do this several different ways. You can connect the pink wires 1 and 2 together and the purple 10 and 11 together and do this at the NAV ECU harness. You could also grab wires 11 and 2 as the go into IV1 and connect the wires from the new head unit that way. Either way will do the job. Since you dont have an amp you will be using the wires off the new harness that go to that speaker. I hope this makes sense

Okay, I will connect 11 and 2 to my new speaker wires on the new HU. thanks. For the help.

And for bypassing the amp, I know I need to do something with grounds, but I'm not sure. Can you tell me which numbers I need to connect from the pictures you provided a while ago (pics below for reference)? Struggling to complete this final step!
IMG-20191110-WA0038.jpeg
IMG-20191110-WA0036.jpeg

Look at Wire 20 coming off the Radio and Player. That is your ground and it is grounded at the amp. Take that wire and ground it up by the head unit.

Look at Wire 20 coming off the Radio and Player. That is your ground and it is grounded at the amp. Take that wire and ground it up by the head unit.
That's it? Amazing! Does grounding it by the head unit just make the sound quality better? I'm not sure where I would ground it up there, so I'll ground it where the amp used to be for now. Thanks

Double check your wiring but the way mine was on my 2002 was the Head Unit got its ground from the amp. That was shown on the schematic. When I disconnected the amp via the harness and installed the amp bypass there was no longer a ground for the radio. I just put a screw into a piece of metal in the dash and attached the stereo ground wire.

Yeah... So unfortunately I wasn't able finish this over the weekend. I did the nav delete and that works great. Thanks for all the help on that. But I struggled with the head unit upgrade. The new stereo isn't powering on. I will take lots of pictures of my set up tomorrow, but here is what I know:
Yellow wire on Sony AV1000 had 12 V. Ground was working. Accessory (red did not). Following the advice of someone who knows way more than me on this, I shaved a bit of insulation off the yellow and red and tried to connect them. That seemed to blow the Stereo fuse (the one in the hood) and possible the cigar fuse (in the cab). The cigar fuse wasn't blown two days ago when I tested the nav delete. I didn't test it before jumping the yellow and red. But it is blown now so I'm not sure.
I'm wondering if it is an issue with the amp bypass. I felt really unsure about that. I pulled the light brown (20) wire on the amp harness and grounded it right where the amp was. I also connected 8 speaker wires but that seemed pretty straight forward.
I'm also concerned about my Blue wires. I connected The blue and white on the Sony (REM OUT) to the blue on the metra (power antenna), my parking break bypass, and my sub (not fully connected yet. Struggling with firewall). Was I not meant to connect that to the power antenna on the metra? The metra also has the blue and white striped for Amp Turn On.
And for the Reverse In on the Sony, I didn't use that. My backup cam had a yellow RCA so I used that. Did I need to connect both? The backup came also had a red wire with the yellow RCA, but it said you normally don't need it.

That was a lot.... Hope it makes a little sense and someone has some ideas! Any help is appreciated. Going to buy copious amounts of fuses after work tomorrow.

Not sure there is too much difference but the stereo just needs a few wires and a few speaker wires to work. You may need to find a specific ML wiring diagram but the OP in this thread did it and didn't report any issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom