Pre-03 nav delete how-to (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I may be starting on this within the next week or 2. I have all of the parts you listed minus the parking brake override and head unit.
Check out the one that I am going to get. It is cheap and I think performs all of your desired function. Alpine ILX-W650.
I also have not purchased the backup camera yet either.

I have a customer who owns a very large and very successful car audio installation shop (that's just one of the things they do) and he recommended this same radio to me yesterday.
$250-300. I haven't looked in to it too much, but it may be the route I take.

I have a customer who owns a very large and very successful car audio installation shop (that's just one of the things they do) and he recommended this same radio to me yesterday.
$250-300. I haven't looked in to it too much, but it may be the route I take.
Yeah man, I think it is touch capacitive like an ipad. You can swipe your finger up/down the screen to adjust volume. I'll do a mini review on here when I install it. Got an amp and 4 door speakers to install as well. The front doors are coax, so debating on running those solo up front or swapping out the tweeter as well. I already have a set of crossovers for the front drivers.

I may be starting on this within the next week or 2. I have all of the parts you listed minus the parking brake override and head unit.
Check out the one that I am going to get. It is cheap and I think performs all of your desired function. Alpine ILX-W650.
I also have not purchased the backup camera yet either.

Thanks for the suggestion! I was debating on that head unit but found a Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX head unit on sale with a backup camera for just a little more. I really like that this unit I picked can run apple carplay via Bluetooth. Got the SiriusXM SXV300v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner Kit and MicroBypass Parking Brake Switch Fully Automatic Video in Motion Interface for Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX as well. Will report back how the install goes!

I hit a snag - the rear fan and mirror heater buttons don’t light up. I think Plug E and D have some more connections to make than in the Pin-out diagram but I don’t have a clue where to start.

UPDATE: For anyone searching this thread in the future. If the mirror defrost, rear fan, or rear defrost buttons do not light up, hold them down for 20 seconds each. They’ll come to life.

Last edited:
I'm collecting the parts to convert my 2002 LC, and pretty much have everything for the nav delete. Planning on retaining the stock amp and speakers and using the metra harness. However, haven't selected a head unit.

Would like to use a unit that has a single CD player as well as function with a backup camera. Can anyone tell me if there is enough space to fit a "full depth" double DIN stereo unit in the dash after doing the nav delete? Or only the shallower non-CD units will fit?

Thanks for any input.

I'm collecting the parts to convert my 2002 LC, and pretty much have everything for the nav delete. Planning on retaining the stock amp and speakers and using the metra harness. However, haven't selected a head unit.

Would like to use a unit that has a single CD player as well as function with a backup camera. Can anyone tell me if there is enough space to fit a "full depth" double DIN stereo unit in the dash after doing the nav delete? Or only the shallower non-CD units will fit?

Thanks for any input.

Yes, there is enough room to fit a full depth double din HU.

I just installed an Alpine ILX-107 with Apple Carplay using the Metra 70-8113 harness adapter that is recommened (rca outs for speakers). It powers up as it should, everything seems to be working but there is zero sound, not even the whining/hissing noise that some complain about with an aftermarket radio which makes me think the factory amp isn't powering on.

I have blue/white amplifier turn on connected as well as the amp ground to the main ground ( I even wired it directly to the frame initially no change). I also have a parking brake bypass installed which is working as it should.

Any insight would be appreciated.

View attachment 1825849

View attachment 1825851

View attachment 1825852

View attachment 1825853

Did you ever solve this issue? Exact problem in having right now

I don't know why more people aren't replacing the factory amp. It isn't a huge job and you'll get a much better sound.

I've got no idea where to start with amps. Any suggestions as to which one to buy?

I've got no idea where to start with amps. Any suggestions as to which one to buy?
I bought a pioneer 5 channel. 9605 I believe. I think I bought it for $200 new.
I did a 5 channel because it is easy to wire. Each speaker has its own location on the amp. And your sub gets the 5th channel. So there's no need to worry about what type of wiring you want.

There are some decent 4 channel amps that are available for $100 or so. You'll get much better sounds. Just go with a 2 ohm stable amp and you're fine with factory speakers. I put Infinity Kappa component speakers in all doors and get great sound.

I bought a pioneer 5 channel. 9605 I believe. I think I bought it for $200 new.
I did a 5 channel because it is easy to wire. Each speaker has its own location on the amp. And your sub gets the 5th channel. So there's no need to worry about what type of wiring you want.

There are some decent 4 channel amps that are available for $100 or so. You'll get much better sounds. Just go with a 2 ohm stable amp and you're fine with factory speakers. I put Infinity Kappa component speakers in all doors and get great sound.

Which metra harness did you use? Any?

I've hit another snag - no backlighting on the three dial panel. I get lights on for whichever setting each dial is on, but not the rest.
Checked my grounds, replaced my bulbs, no luck so far.

Does anyone know which wire / plug is dash illumination and where that matches to on the three dial pigtail?

I've hit another snag - no backlighting on the three dial panel. I get lights on for whichever setting each dial is on, but not the rest.
Checked my grounds, replaced my bulbs, no luck so far.

Does anyone know which wire / plug is dash illumination and where that matches to on the three dial pigtail?

Your lights should only light up corresponding to the setting the knob is on I believe. Why would you want all the fan speed setting lights to light up all the time?

Your lights should only light up corresponding to the setting the knob is on I believe. Why would you want all the fan speed setting lights to light up all the time?

There's no backlighting at all at night - can't see what temp I'm setting it etc. From looking thru this thread, I can see that I'm supposed to at least have some backlight in there if my headlights are on.

The labels for the switches are definitely back lit---or should be. Otherwise how would you locate any of the buttons in the dark?

I do have the EWD for a 2002, and will try to look through tonight to see if I see anything that may be of help to you.

There's no backlighting at all at night - can't see what temp I'm setting it etc. From looking thru this thread, I can see that I'm supposed to at least have some backlight in there if my headlights are on.

That makes sense. Not sure the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom