Potential FJ60 Purchase looking for advise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys looking to join the fj60 club soon, i dont spend enough on gas with my 2000 LC currently. Found one i like a couple of hours away from me in Houston, and i want to pull the trigger so bad. has about 210k miles, claims it was his teenage son's car for a couple of years and now is just collecting dust. Was originally purchased in colorado (potentially thats were rust comes from?) Rust on the body doesn't scare me as its really a cosmetic thing and gives it character, unless i am missing something.

I have attached clist add.

Land Cruiser FJ60

Any way anything in particular that jumps out to any one here to make me hesitate?

Any advise helps!

6595A75C-32F8-4069-8214-543914A14AE1.JPG

986994DA-5EE2-4610-9C45-10CAD10F3C35.JPG

A84775F1-16C0-462D-8A76-819638AA2E25.JPG

I think most will tell you to look for one with a pristine body first and mechanicals second. So I'm assuming if it's mechanicals are good, ie: idles nice, no transfer case whines, rear diff grinds, etc.
The rust would concern me a bit. If it doesn't concern you though it looks to be in good shape otherwise. Interior looks real nice.

But that rust, I can't totally tell from the pics, but the quarter panels seem pretty far past it. That's ok, there are replacement panels! The roof is the one that may be most concerning and is hard to tell from the pictures. If that roof is rusted out. That's a chore.
In the end it's better to have one in the driveway than to not.

Good luck! There are others here that know much more than myself. Hopefully they'll chime in as well.

Thanks Thorton, per some texts seller told me that the roof was coated in store bought rhino lining. redneck fix to cover rust is what i would guess.

This was a great post on a roof rebuild.
rebuilding a rusty roof
If you've got some fab skills and rust doesn't scare then heck maybe you can still get that price down a bit more as you point out all the body fixes it may need.
Or just drive the heck out of it as is and if it actually gets to a point where stuff just starts falling off it--then reassess-- :)

The rust is much worse than you can see. A little character on the body is one thing, but chances are, it's on the frame as well. You'll need to get you actual hands and eyes down there and take a look. As is, this one might be priced a little high. I think you can find much better for just a little more.

The rust would be a serious concern for me too. A lot of cancer to cut out to make it right. I would look real close at the frame for rust too which would be an even bigger concern. I would likely pass on this one and keep looking. Good luck in your search!

Yeah I think I will pass too many questionable
- current owner bought from someone who left it at beach house for a couple of years
- drove by a high Schooler
- whatever is going on with roof

Thanks for talking me down.

I am going to keep hunting!

Yes, that one has been up a while now. Everyone else is absolutely correct about the rust and all its challenges. BUT call me crazy, nothing is more fun than an UGLY, CHEAP, 60 that you can use and abuse without much worry. Hell, you already have the opposite of the LC spectrum covered with the 100. All this to say that $5500 is way too high (he probably knows this by now). I would be all over this for 3(ish)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom