Possible power steering leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaticTorque

SILVER Star
Threads
I was going through checking my breaks. Decided to check underneath my rig, dirty as hell lol. But I noticed there was quite a bit of liquid all over. A lot on the power steering pump, and some on the bottom of the oil pan. I think the liquid on oil pan is ATF fluid, but not quite shore. I checked my power steering fluid, and it was really low. Why I think it’s the power steering. What do you guys think? How can I test to see if the pump is leaking?

41791989-F9A9-4D02-8997-F37707BD8EA1.jpeg

16674496-353D-46AC-B70A-783C0B06A180.jpeg

85C78283-AA42-4389-AF4F-CD2C8E14435B.jpeg

cold be the lines off of the pump and not necessarily the pump itself. clean it up, top off the fluid and check back later to try to find the leak.
Best way to clean it all up? Feel like just spraying some water wouldn’t get all the grime off.

brake clean, engine degreaser and a garden hose. if theres a lot of crud caked on degrease, hit it with a brush to loosen the crud then hit it with a garden hose. dont use a power washer as you an force water into connectors and cause other issues

i believe that the hard line with the screw clamp on it is your trans cooler lines running from the trans up to the rad and trans cooler, also a source of transflud leaks

Screenshot (100)_LI.jpg

I just went through and tried to clean this area up best I could. Pain in the butt being under there and not getting drenched with everything lol

6CCC3CC3-0D96-4E75-92C4-51845BFEADEE.jpeg

C63C7958-A913-4BDB-BEFF-DB156F56B8ED.jpeg

0402E0D7-99EA-4577-ACC0-ABE4FCE86518.jpeg

FA9BB6E2-1C30-4CC9-B8BD-23ABD6AE92AB.jpeg

1C3D1C18-3E35-4FF2-AEE7-EC9F8ED9397D.jpeg

Went and ran the 80 for around 5min and kept turning the wheels back and forth and building some pressure. I don’t see anything immediate. What you guys see?

9CD849B5-C452-4891-81AF-E8A193EBDF6F.jpeg

E29B8421-C67E-4223-A604-07B3B8DBE5B9.jpeg

How does your steering gear box look? That could be leaking and the fluid being moved elsewhere while your driving.

i see a little residual from cleaning up but other than that it looks pretty dry. your going to have drive for longer than 5 min, we would usually tell customers to come back after a few hundred miles when trying to find a small leak. if it was wet after 5 min of driving im pretty sure that you wouldnt have an issue finding the leak.

you could also add a little uv dye to the p/s fluid to help find the leak and check with a uv light at a later date

Are you using ATF or actual power steering fluid?

Here's a leak!
Low pressure side on my son's 80.

16121946591695131489906766204379.jpg

16121946936883508367308218100292.jpg

Watch mainly at the juncture where the PS pump and engine mate up. You don't want to see a leak there. There is an O-Ring on the pump that seals off that area. As long as that isn't leaking then its almost a sure bet its one or more of your hoses.

Oh that low pressure hose is a biotch!
She's done. Ended up using the Toyota spark plug tool to keep the hose straight and with the help of a compression and gear clamp was able to get the vertical section done by pushing down with a screwdriver against the clamp. Also was able to lever by using two screw drivers from the wheel well , easier to remove the other pipe with tire and skirting removed and put that end together rather peacefully.
Mind you the swear jar is full.

How does your steering gear box look? That could be leaking and the fluid being moved elsewhere while your driving.
Ill have to take a look at that, havent checked that out,
i see a little residual from cleaning up but other than that it looks pretty dry. your going to have drive for longer than 5 min, we would usually tell customers to come back after a few hundred miles when trying to find a small leak. if it was wet after 5 min of driving im pretty sure that you wouldnt have an issue finding the leak.

you could also add a little uv dye to the p/s fluid to help find the leak and check with a uv light at a later date
Hmm im assuming adding that wouldnt cause any additional problems? i took some pics after i drove 30min home last night, will post those pics soon.
Are you using ATF or actual power steering fluid?
I topped it off with ATF fluid and there was ATF fluid already in it, so it doesn't appear there was any mixing involved.
Here's a leak!
Low pressure side on my son's 80.

View attachment 2571942

View attachment 2571943
WOW, now that really blows! Sorry to see that!
Watch mainly at the juncture where the PS pump and engine mate up. You don't want to see a leak there. There is an O-Ring on the pump that seals off that area. As long as that isn't leaking then its almost a sure bet its one or more of your hoses.
Will keep an eye on it, seems like a hose might be the culprit but still too early to tell.

Last edited:
These are some pics I took after I got home from my 30min drive home last night. Sorry it was dark so I tried to do my best.

C73309C2-DF40-44D6-B37E-8C36ED8C54C8.jpeg

37A331F2-0AB4-49DE-88CD-C8E14677A52B.jpeg

Hmm im assuming adding that wouldnt cause any additional problems? i took some pics after i drove 30min home last night, will post those pics soon.

not a problem as long as its designed for engine oil/trans fluid youll be fine. you wont need much, probably less than 1/4 oz but check the bottle for dosage recommendations from the manufacture

Just for reference, this is a ps pump leak. How I know is because I replaced the oil pump cover gasket, front main seal, distributor o ring, and low pressure hoses (which were crusty). After driving it for about 30 minuets this is what it looks like. Everything else above and around is dry. So will take off to rebuild and stop the hemorrhage. Just in case you are to replace the low pressure ps hoses beware the 3/8 lines are a pain to fit back in because they are 0.5mm smaller than oem and it makes a difference. Had to put them in boiling water and stretch before they went in. Also don’t laugh at my little stupid Toyota replacement oil filter.

6FACA228-10F4-4770-A23A-C5B970FA33A0.jpeg

3F8EE648-795E-4612-8CB4-91F9270EFBCD.jpeg

Last edited:
Just for reference, this is a ps pump leak. How I know is because I replaced the oil pump cover gasket, front main seal, distributor o ring, and low pressure hoses (which were crusty). After driving it for about 30 minuets this is what it looks like. Everything else above and around is dry. So will take off to rebuild and stop the hemorrhage. Just in case you are to replace the low pressure ps hoses beware the 3/8 lines are a pain to fit back in because they are 0.5mm smaller than ome and it makes a difference. Had to put them in boiling water and stretch before they went in. Also don’t laugh at my little stupid Toyota replacement oil filter.

View attachment 2574931

View attachment 2574932
Thats really helpful! After cleaning mine and driving it home it seemed like my PS pump was pretty dry. Thinking it might be an oil leak cause when i got home and checked, it was low. I am parked on a hill so i cant say for sure. On the other side of the PS pump, is that the oil pump? New to the 80 platform so not sure what and everything is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom