Possible New Guy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a new job and I'm looking at Rock Island Arsenal and at Fort Gordon. We have some family down in the Gordon area. Anyway, I'm trying to get a feeling for the local club and I heard this was it. I was really disappointed when we moved to IL and there was no club. If I land something in that area, I was thinking we would find a between N. Augusta and Aiken with some property and a descent shop.

I've met a few of you at GSMTR in the past. I hope things work out and we can get some wheeling in someday.

Yep, that was me. Unfortunately, I damaged a lot more than a spring at SCC in October, but I'll have her on the trails again next year. I just don't know where yet :)

We met at GSMTR also - man, your truck is awesome! Look forward to having you!

We met you on the trail as we ended up ratchet strapping it back together to get ya back to camp. Hope you're able to make it to SC, good luck with the job search. Not sure if you are looking for something specific or just wanting to relocate, but my company, The Hillman group, is hiring reps currently in the columbia area and the gaffney area. PM me if you'd like some more info.

Chuck

Dude if you get back in the Carolinas be sure to check out URE. It's about 50 miles east from Charlotte and from Ft Gordon probably about the same trek as say Asheville area or N Georgia but there's a killer little OHV layout in the National Forest there Uwharrie National Forest.
Lots of good wheeling and wheelers there also fishing and camping, trails for horse hike or bike etc.
Also Gulches near Laurens SC has some wicked wheeling, little private park. Don't let their mud dry on your equipment.
Happy wheeling

We met at GSMTR also - man, your truck is awesome! Look forward to having you!

Thanks. I had some trouble at SCC and will need to do something with what's left of the body or get a new body altogether.

I was at SCC but not sure if we actually met. I remember seeing your 4R.

I believe we first met at GSMTR a couple of years back when that newer LX bent the TRE and went pigeon-toed. My 4Runner was green back then. I saw you with Woody, Jrob and the rest of the group on Slammer at SCC this year, but we didn't speak then.

We met you on the trail as we ended up ratchet strapping it back together to get ya back to camp. Hope you're able to make it to SC, good luck with the job search. Not sure if you are looking for something specific or just wanting to relocate, but my company, The Hillman group, is hiring reps currently in the columbia area and the gaffney area. PM me if you'd like some more info.

Chuck

Thanks for the info. I looked and they don't have anything in my specialty which is IT Security. I've applied to positions at Gordon, Jackson, and Savannah River Site for starters.

I am in North Augusta, hit me up if you end up down this way. Good luck in your search :beer:

Will do. I would like to get to the Gulches if I get down there and get my rig to the point where I can get a windshield back in it.

Dude if you get back in the Carolinas be sure to check out URE. It's about 50 miles east from Charlotte and from Ft Gordon probably about the same trek as say Asheville area or N Georgia but there's a killer little OHV layout in the National Forest there Uwharrie National Forest.
Lots of good wheeling and wheelers there also fishing and camping, trails for horse hike or bike etc.
Also Gulches near Laurens SC has some wicked wheeling, little private park. Don't let their mud dry on your equipment.
Happy wheeling

I lived in Fayetteville, NC when I bought my 4Runner about 8 years ago. Back then, I had a buddy with a sammy that went to URE quite a bit. I think it was last year when I was watching Xtreme 4x4 and saw that same sammy, quite a bit beefier, conquering some crazy rocks. Unfortunately, he moved to California.

I met ya at SCC, welcome!

Is Charleston a good area to live in? I have a phone interview on Monday and they said they would need me to start ASAP if it goes well.

Housing in that area looks high. Is there a good chance of getting a nice rural home with a shop for less than $250k?

Charleston is great, I grew up in the goose creek area and we have a great club down there. The guys living down there could answer your housing question, but I'm sure it's like anywhere there are good finds everywhere. I like using realtor.com to look at houses. Congrats on the interview and good luck!

Is Charleston a good area to live in? I have a phone interview on Monday and they said they would need me to start ASAP if it goes well.

Housing in that area looks high. Is there a good chance of getting a nice rural home with a shop for less than $250k?

Charleston is a great place to live; my wife and I have been here for 5 years and we love it. We have a half acre with a workshop and we picked it up for well under $250K. Much more affordable than the place we moved here from (Southern California). It all depends on how far you are willing to commute. If you don't mind some interstate time, than I'd say $250K is likely in your ballpark. There aren't many rural areas in Charleston, you'll have to drive a bit anyhow. Monck's Corner will probably be your best bet. Also, Summerville, Ravenel, and Goose Creek are options. Let us know if we can help!

Thanks guys. We were looking west of Charleston and didn't look to the north too much. If I do end up heading that way, we'll probably need some help. I'll probably need to rent until we get our house sold in IL and I would probably need a lot of storage for all of my junk. Sometimes it takes people from the area to help you find all of the good deals. What chapter is primarily in that area?

I'm supposed to be getting an interview in Columbia as well and I was referred to a Gov position in Aiken. They want to move really fast on this Charleston position though.

We'll all be happy to help when you are ready. We have at least one member that is in Real Estate and many of us are Charleston natives (not me, but several of the other guys). Do you have an idea of the office location? Like, is it downtown, at a military base, or in North Charleston? My wife mentioned 2 other areas that I failed to mention before: Meggitt and Hollywood.

There are 2 chapters in town: Low Country Land Cruisers and Swamp Fox Land Cruisers. Most of us are members of both as well as members of UC and/or ONSC. There isn't any trail riding nearby, so we generally convoy up to Uwharrie or attend events held by other chapters. Low Country Land Cruisers is more active and has been meeting monthly for HAMOM's - in May we are planning to just have dinner in Georgetown in lieu of a HAMOM. If you're in the area, feel free to join us!

You won't find anything in or near Mt. Pleasant for that price, but south or west (not north) you could find somthing with land.

The interview is for a contract with the Navy. My best guess would be up by Goose Creek, but I don't really know the area so its hard telling for sure. My interview was supposed to be Friday, but it was pushed back. If it goes well, I might have to get pretty serious about looking for a house. The position is for the same thing I do now and I'm pretty good at it so I think I may have a good chance. The only difference is that I work for the Army now.

It sounds like there's a club to cover me wherever I go. I can't wait to get back into hanging out with the TLCA bunch.

So, I didn't get a call for the interview when expected. I called them and they apologized, stating that they had too many candidates to contact as they are ramping up. Scheduled another time. No call. Gave up.

Tonight, received a call with apologies stating that they have had a lot come up over the past week. I'm asked if I'm still interested. I say yes and I am placed on hold. A few minutes later, I'm in an interview. I was given an offer at the end of the conversation and a tentative start date of around the 4th-6th. I'm waiting on the written offer to arrive in my inbox.

So now I'm going to need a cheap hotel and eventually a rental place. Does anyone know of any houses for rent near Charleston with a garage and a lot of parking? I have the 4Runner, 18' trailer, boat, full size pickup, 2 cars, 4wheeler, 2 riding lawn mowers, lots of other stuff.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom