Please recommend a rear storage bag... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having recently taken my LC for the first off-roading trip in over 10 years and with plans to do more, I found that I need to carry some accessories with me. I had to sacrifice my jumper cables to some idiots trying to put a 2wd Rav4 through some soft sand in Joshua Tree so I bought a nice tow strap and some new heavy duty jumper cables when we got home. My older cables were a little smaller and fit in the right side rear compartment but the new ones are too big for that.

I'm looking at some sort of storage in the rear to hold stuff so it can stay in the vehicle and not slide around as this is my daily driver as well. I also have a Viair compressor that has it's own bag. Maybe something that hangs behind the second row seats? Other ideas? I'm not looking to put in a drawer system.

Thanks,
Chris

Husky 18 in. Tool Bag-82003N11 - The Home Depot

I have three of these. One has soft items in it, gloves, tape, zip ties, 7-round to flat 4 trailer plug, tie down rope, etc.
The other has my draw bar, jumper cables, recovery strap and the like.
The third one is empty, I use it to carry groceries that will tip over, gallon of milk, orange juice, eggs etc. I also use it for tools when I need to transport them for whatever reason.
The first two I have tied to the tie downs right behind the rear seat so they don't fly into my kids skull's in a accident.
They are a nice bag for the money. And water proof so if that gallon of milk leaks your carpet won't smell like yogurt come summer time.

8EDE198C-34AE-423A-8713-41E28AE633C1.jpeg
4D7A9DD9-B5DE-4684-B4F6-4AD0237FFA0B.jpeg
A5EF0960-9201-421A-8EB1-2B8509E3E7DD.jpeg
I was struggling with this as well. I just bought an army surplus footlocker and use it to hold my air compressor, recovery gear, tools, a chair, hammock, book etc. It has tray that fits inside, which is nice.

I plan to put some clips on it to anchor it to the attachment points in the cargo area. But so far it hasn’t slide around much.

I like that I can easily remove it if necessary.

I had a soft sided carrier previously and it rolled around too much.

I like the Rigid boxes at Home Depot, but also use the Husky bags above. I would go to HD or Lowes and look at what they have to offer. Heck, Harbor Freight now carries knock of Pelican cases that may work.

Jim

I like the Rigid boxes at Home Depot, but also use the Husky bags above. I would go to HD or Lowes and look at what they have to offer. Heck, Harbor Freight now carries knock of Pelican cases that may work.

Jim
I got the same (idk if they are the same brand, but they are identical) rigid bins from costco for $6 a piece the other day...

Just find some type of bag that will hold what you need and can be strapped down. Plenty of options are out there. Boxes are great, but you'll need to bolt them to the floor or make damn sure your tie downs for them are sufficient if you're concerned about flying junk in an accident.

Buy a larger gun range bag, or dewalt tool bag. Check your local military surplus store. Makes it easy to grab your Offroad stuff and tools and throw in the back. I did drawers for a while. But they were so big and caused unused space.

Spike 555 and Austin Hot Shoe have it right. That's exactly the same sort of bags I use. I don't have pics.
Everything in bags, each to its own specific need. And when things get really ugly you can sleep on th

Bag's make it easy, need to use the third row of seats? Throw the bags out of the truck and use the seats.
Need your tools? Grab that bag and take it to where your need to do your work. Each bag weigh's maybe 30lbs so very easy to move around. You can take out the one you don't need and leave the one you do.
Bag gets full of mud, no prob, rinse it, let it dry.
If a bag is to big it's going to be to heavy and cumbersome.
If I need to I can throw them in the second row on the floor to make room for something in the cargo area.
Bags are the way to go man.

Just occurred to me, how about looking at ATV bags? They wrote the book on dry and indestructible.

I have to stop you right here: off road and bag.

I would not recommend any type of loose items inside the car, especially when you talk about tools (heavy projectiles).

A plastic bin (some call them totes) which can be attached/strapped securely to the cargo area is something you seriously need to consider.
Really cheap ones can be found at Home Depot and Costco.

These ones have some holes all around the edge so a ratcheting strap can go through and attach securely to the floor for example.

HDX - Storage Bins & Totes - Storage & Organization - The Home Depot

Easy to run a strap through handles to strap down a bag. I do.

I ended up with a tool bag from Home Depot. It fits my tow strap and shackles, shackle receiver hitch, heavy duty jumper cables, and tire repair kit. It's pretty full and heavy too! I'll keep it strapped down in back. Thanks for all the ideas.

Chris

20180413_130758.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom