Please help identifying a part for the rear hatch. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! So recently my FZJ80's rear hatch could not be open from the outside. Luckily, I could open it from the inside so I was able to make do until I had some time to crack the panel open and investigate.

Upon further inspection, there is a joint where the exterior handle connects to the latch release assembly. This joint is basically a rod with an L-shaped end covered by a plastic clip that snaps into a loop/hole on the latch release assembly. Part of the plastic clip is broken, so the rod will not stay in the loop/hole. I have no definite idea what the part number or any identifier would be for this.

What I have found is this listing on Amazon. The product description doesn't mention it fitting Land Cruisers, but I haven't found any other 'Door Lock Clips' that do.

Any help or information on a part number, name, or any other means of acquiring one would be greatly appreciated.

Attached is a photo of the assembly from this thread, which I modified to add an arrow pointing to the clip in question.
image-2021781034.jpg

I had the same thing happen a few years ago. I just took the old one to the dealer and matched it up.

Same here. Replaced yellow clip. Apparently same part found on some other models.

Standard part. The one listed on Azon should work fine, although that seems pricey for an aftermarket part. Got those on my '01 and '86 4Runners as well. Here's a pic I just took from the '86.

image.jpg

Thank you to all that replied. After digging on eBay, the Amazon price was pretty crazy for an aftermarket part. Amazon's got some shipping 'locally' (Bay Area, CA) at the crazy price of 10 pieces for < $5! I guess I'm set for life for the rear hatch and driver side doors :D

Nice! What's the eBay link for those? Might as will get some sense they go to all three of my trucks...

The clip has never been officially offered by Toyota as a replacement part. The Left door (chrome finish only) handle clip from a 1984-88 pickup worked. Unfortunately that clip (69293-89102) has been discontinued for a couple years now. I imagine there are aftermarket substitutes out there that will work. Finding the correct one on the first pass may be a challenge.

• Same clip is used on triple carb set up on Johnson Outboard motor

I think I found it. same problem. found part on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Door-...=1526153448&sr=8-15&keywords=toyota+door+clip

Review from someone on Amazon:
5.0 out of 5 starsThis part broke on the rear door hatch of my ...
ByWillon February 21, 2018
Verified Purchase
This part broke on the rear door hatch of my 96 land cruiser. This part is no longer sold by Toyota, you have to buy the entire door handle assembly! I was so relieved to find these! I had to shave off a very minimal amount and haven’t had any issues since.

I think I found it. same problem. found part on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Door-...=1526153448&sr=8-15&keywords=toyota+door+clip

Review from someone on Amazon:
5.0 out of 5 starsThis part broke on the rear door hatch of my ...
ByWillon February 21, 2018
Verified Purchase
This part broke on the rear door hatch of my 96 land cruiser. This part is no longer sold by Toyota, you have to buy the entire door handle assembly! I was so relieved to find these! I had to shave off a very minimal amount and haven’t had any issues since.
Thanks! I busted mine replacing the handle and I was told I would have to buy the whole locking mechanism. I just placed my order.

My tail gate release handle just stopped working. I can open it from the inside so I'm guessing that I have the same issue as you all before me. I read the review for the amazon part listed above. The reviewer mentioned having to shave some of the clip to get it to fit. Do any of you guys have any details on that? Hoping to dig into this in a few days...

My tail gate release handle just stopped working. I can open it from the inside so I'm guessing that I have the same issue as you all before me. I read the review for the amazon part listed above. The reviewer mentioned having to shave some of the clip to get it to fit. Do any of you guys have any details on that? Hoping to dig into this in a few days...

It can be just kinda forced on :) I've got a handful of leftover ones from buying a bag of 10...if I can find them could get one to you. Shoot me a PM if interested.

If you have a local paint/body supply store, that is the best for clips, take it in and match. Our local one is Spaceage Paint they carry a huge selection of clips.

It can be just kinda forced on :) I've got a handful of leftover ones from buying a bag of 10...if I can find them could get one to you. Shoot me a PM if interested.
Man, I ordered the 10 pack already. I should have waited for you guys to post! I'm having a minor back spasm today but am hoping I'll be good to dig into this tomorrow. Is it just a matter of pulling the tail gate panel plastic off and finding an access inside there? (I'm hoping it's a relatively quick job because of my back)

I figured I'd follow up with pictures, just in case someone searches in the future. I fixed my rear hatch, using the parts listed above. The whole job took 15 or 20 minutes.

Here's the location of the broken yellow clip:
vw72TWoh.jpg

Here's my replacement clips next to stock:
sv9pvLMh.jpg

I had to trim a liiiitle bit of the retainer as you can see here:
izCHwZeh.jpg

Works great.

Is there any updates for sourcing these clips. I am pretty sure I have the same model clip that @Lumpskie shows but my bag also says Made in China on it. I just busted another one of these, which makes 4 from the bag of 10 that I started with. It seems to fit just fine but the part that clips on the rod keeps spreading apart and then the door handle doesn't work, which sucks when the truck is empty but infuriating when the truck is stuffed with camping equipment.:bang:

Has anyone found any other options that are a little stronger and if so, do you have a link?

Also, what are people shaving off on these? The part that clips to the rod seems to be the trouble spot. Do I need to ream that out a hair?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom