Please Help! - Can't shift into low range after crawler gear install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I just wrapped up my engine build and am trying to hit the trail tomorrow morning. I also just finished up the install of the 3.1:1 crawler gears. I followed the directions and everything seemed to go together smoothly.

However, when I pull the transfer lever into Low Range, it won't engage. If I pull on it quite hard (and keep pulling on it), it will just barely engage enough to drive forward in low range, but not enough to drive in reverse (you can just hear it grinding continually when I put the transmission in reverse), and again, this is if I maintain pressure on the lever. So, it won't engage enough to "lock" in. I adjusted the linkage, but same result.

Did I install something incorrectly?

Subject vehicle: 1997 FZJ80

Thanks for your help

UPDATE 6/29/16 - Problem solved. Some idiot installed the clutch sleeve/shift collar backward onto the idler gear shaft. Don't be like him.

UPDATE 7/8/16 - New question about clutch sleeve orientation on Page 2

Last edited:
I notice that Marlin's instructions say, prior to disassembly, to engage low range so that we don't have to "re index the low range actuator upon assembly". Perhaps I didn't do that. What does "re index the low range actuator" look like?

Last edited:
Would anybody who has installed these be willing to give me a call? You could save my trip! Thanks!

I'm guessing you may have goofed up. I had a shift collar facing the wrong way, it would grind and not go into gear.
I confirmed with this picture.

Side-Gears-Marlin-Crawler-80-Series-Low-Range-Gear-6-13-14.jpg

I will be installing my crawler gears soon so I'm interested in your issue. this is all I can offer as help as I have yet to be inside the T-case . You can go to ToyoDIY.com and enter these code numbers in the search window for part numbers and nomenclatures. Good luck.
image.png

I'm guessing you may have goofed up. I had a shift collar facing the wrong way, it would grind and not go into gear.
I confirmed with this picture.

Side-Gears-Marlin-Crawler-80-Series-Low-Range-Gear-6-13-14.jpg

Thanks! I'm 99% sure i installed the collars with the angled side forward, since I was aware of that ahead of time.

Do you recall if your small low range gear was able to more forward and back a bit on the shaft? Or was it tight in place?

thanks,

what holds the small transfer gear (the one on the idler shaft) from sliding back and forth? The bearing presses it on tight?

I notice that Marlin's instructions say, prior to disassembly, to engage low range so that we don't have to "re index the low range actuator upon assembly". Perhaps I didn't do that. What does "re index the low range actuator" look like?

20160624_202316.jpg

Pretty sure it presses on tight. Not sure how you got it together as races sit 2 pieces that get bolted together.

I don't know much, but my case is apart. You can pm me your number and I can shoot you pics of whatever you need.

20160624_202316.jpg

20160624_202316.jpg

The linkage between the interior 4lo lever and outer tcase lever is adjustable. Could be you need to adjust this linkage.

After my great install, mine occasionally jumps out of 4lo into neutral. I believe I need to shorten my linkage, i just haven't gotten around to it. Since it's a pretty rare occurrence.

You say if you pull on it it will stay in low? How does your tcase neutral feel? Doors it grind, will it stay in neutral?

Here's the discussion we had on the shift linkage. If you can drive in 4hi, I would imagine you put the tcase back together correctly. Check your linkage, loosening the crossmember could move the tcase a few hairs, that's why that linkage is adjustable.

Transfer Case Pops out of Low Range

You say if you pull on it it will stay in low? How does your tcase neutral feel? Doors it grind, will it stay in neutral?

Here's the discussion we had on the shift linkage. If you can drive in 4hi, I would imagine you put the tcase back together correctly. Check your linkage, loosening the crossmember could move the tcase a few hairs, that's why that linkage is adjustable.

Transfer Case Pops out of Low Range

I've tried adjusting the linkage both in and out to no avail. I have also removed the shift boots to ensure they are not pulling on the lever. STill having same problem.

I guess my next suggestion would be to verify you have this lever installed correctly. But I doubt that's the problem, since you can shift in and out of 4hi.

Screenshot_20160625-074638.png

You get this panned out? I can give you a ring, I think I had mine together and apart 5 times.

Nope, still no luck. Had to ride passenger for the trip. I'll PM you my contact info.

Well, as much as I hate to look like an idiot in public, I wanted to update you on what I discovered. Despite knowing full well ahead of time how the clutch sleeve/shift collar was supposed to be installed, I none the less installed it backwards.

Thank you all for your help.

UPDATE 10/21/16... It turned out to a damaged clutch hub... more details on the next page

Last edited:
Well, as much as I hate to look like an idiot in public, I wanted to update you on what I discovered. Despite knowing full well ahead of time how the clutch sleeve/shift collar was supposed to be installed, I none the less installed it backwards.

Thank you all for your help.

Doh! At least it was a simple fix...relatively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom