Events/Trails Pig Party 2019 (1 Viewer)

What Type of Pig Party?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like if we're able to make PP2019 we'll only be able to bring one of the pigs and running this route is appealing to me, if a few guys wanted to peel off and camp at new campsite each night count me in.

We're in for whatever. Expedition style over a proven and accessible route is more appealing than sitting in a snowed in campsite or spending an inordinate amount of time getting unstuck. Donuts in the parking lot I'll leave to my motorcycle. If the Uintah's open up that's fine too but forecasts this week for similar elevations in Colorado predict peak snowmelt/runoff for mid-July, a month later than normal. For comparison, we were in Rico during one of the lighter snowfall years in recent history...an official drought year.

Went out to take the target carrier for a drive today and noticed a large oil puddle under the rear diff, looks like I need to call Kurt @cruiseroutfit Monday and get parts coming anyway so I’ll ask about the RR route and see if I can get the appropriate maps beforehand, If my ever-changing work schedule will allow me to attend the pig party this year my plan is to show up at the Museum Tuesday Jun 18 and pose for a few family photos, drink some beer and tell some lies around the camp fire then head off on the RR route the next morning. We welcome any and all to join us but TJ has put a lot of time and effort into planning up to this point and I don’t want to poop on his party.

Man, what’s with all the pinion seals right now?
Mine is 100% my fault, when I put my rear diff together my solid sleeve didn’t fit over my new pinion for whatever reason and I was in a hurry to get it back on the road so I used the crush sleeve that came in the kit against my better judgment, with 450+ foot pounds of torque and a heavy right foot this was inevitable.

Any one been keeping track of how many possible pork chops that may be at the table for this roast???

Is the pig party overlapping with the RR???

Is the pig party overlapping with the RR???

No overlap, I’ve talked to a few Salt Lake locals and it’s sounding like high elevation base camping and trail running will be difficult if not impossible for the dates planed. I personally would rather camp at a different location every night and cover new ground during the day to see as much as we can, the Relic Run route fits this criteria and works for me because it gets me headed back towards home on dirt roads. I’m going to start working out the driving distances and camping spots between Salt Lake Utah and City of Rocks Idaho and if the timing works out we will start our journey at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum Tuesday - 18 Jun so we can spend at least one night with the group.
If anyone wants to join us all are welcome.

For some of us, getting to SLC is not a big deal...about four interstate hours for us including time for one of the best burgers in the West at Ray's Tavern in Green River. For others, Scrapdaddy, Megadoomer, Gordobe, Rix45 etc., it's a long haul. In deference to that sort of commitment and the planning it takes, I'm feeling a need to let folks know what we'll be doing and where. Sooner rather than later.
I appreciate all the effort TJ has put into what would, in a normal snow year, be an exciting opportunity to base camp and do mountain trails. Also Kurt's willingness to help us out. Jim's willingness to map out a overlanding route ala the 2018 Relic Run is also appreciated and Kurt would certainly be an experienced resource in that effort. Rather than split into two groups, can we all weigh in on our preferences so that we have the next three or four weeks to prepare accordingly?
I'm in for an expedition-style gathering this year, multiple places with multiple campfires and changing scenery at a lower elevation. High country UT would be exciting in some other year.

I'm in between VA rebuilding work, (new ankles & new knees) so my preference would be to tow my little piggy to a campground behind the motorhome and do day trips out of there. in a couple of years when they are done with my 'Bionic Man' project expedition style will be great! I'll probably still try and make the SLC trip and do the museum visit. Was there a couple of years ago - its a good deal.

I'm in the midst of a VA rebuilding effort, (new ankles & new knees) - so my plan was to tow Marv down behind my MH and the do day trips from the campground. After the 'bionic man' stuff is done I'll be up for the expedition style trips. I may still come to SLC to do the Museum tour. I was there a couple years ago and it's a great place.

Cliff’s from expedition Utah, obviously the dates were from their event but tentatively my plan is to follow their schedule.
Delle Rocks Legacy Tour Itinerary (Subject to Change)

Thursday - August 9th:

We will be meeting at the Tesoro gas station in Delle, Utah at 3:30 PM on Thursday afternoon. After a quick introduction and driver's meeting, we'll convoy north to a primitive camp site in the Newfoundland Mountains overlooking the Great Salt Lake Desert. Hors d'oeuvre hour will begin at 7:30 PM, bring a treat to share with the group.

Friday - August 10th:

We'll leave camp at 10:00 AM and head to the Hogup Pump Station for an exclusive tour of the facility. After lunch, head to Devil's Playground via the Hogup Mountains and setup camp. Friday night is the Relic Gear Show & Shine, bring some neat gear to share with the group.

Saturday - August 11th:

Depart camp at 9:00 AM and head to City of Rocks. Fuel stop in Almo, Idaho before setting up camp. Saturday night is the annual Relic Run slideshow and movie night. We'll have a group potluck dinner. Bring a side or desert, Expedition Utah (Spencer Evans @) will provide the main course.

Sunday - August 12th:

Pack up and head home around 9:00 AM. Direct departure via paved roads or a scenic departure option stopping at other historic sites north of the Great Salt Lake. The scenic route will include an early afternoon stop at the Golden Spike National Historic Site for a specially arranged tour. Additional cost is $10/vehicle, we can park and arrange car-pooling to reduce cost.

https://www.expeditionutah.com/foru...n-2018-delle-rocks-legacy-tour-8-9-8-12.6168/

Again I have no intention of taking over Pig Party planning and also appreciate everything TJ has done, just posting my plan if my work schedule will allow.

Some great dialog in here, and that is what I was hoping for.

I see now RR = Relic Run, not railroad that we were talking about earlier.

I know some folks are set up for camp-to-camp, some are not. When we first started talking about this round, most folks were in favor of central/base camping. (2/3 to 1/3)

What are water and fuel options like along the relic run route?

I wonder if there is a base camp option after the museum/KOA that could coincide with those that want to go camp hopping? I am not equipped to carry extra fuel, and now with work travel coming up the week of 10 June there will not be much more Pig work before the party...

Keep the options coming folks, we will figure this out! Jurt @cruiseroutfit is out of country for the next couple of weeks.

Any one been keeping track of how many possible pork chops that may be at the table for this roast???

I tried a little earlier. We will need to get a count as Kurt and I are trying to get some BBQ brought to the museum for dinner...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom