Picking a Sexy Lexy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to pick up a new to me GX470 over the summer. I know there's tons of information and opinions out there. Ultimately it comes down to me.

Like many people, the rig would be a DD first and a weekend adventure mobile second. Looking to see what everybody's opinion is on the following.

KDSS vs non-KDSS
-Never found anything concrete regarding limiting travel with aftermarket suspension.

Low mileage vs high mileage
-low mileage likely longer life.
-high mileage likely have TB and WP already done/more money for mods.

Lastly more a curiosity then a dictating factor, has anyone done exhaust/intake modifications? If so, did you see any fuel economy improvements?

It's depends on your budget. If "I" were the one shopping? I'd be looking for the lowest mileage 03-04 I could find. I don't want KDSS/VVT-i/ or secondary air pumps. Also as previously mentioned non nav as well, even though mine has it.

It's depends on your budget. If "I" were the one shopping? I'd be looking for the lowest mileage 03-04 I could find. I don't want KDSS/VVT-i/ or secondary air pumps. Also as previously mentioned non nav as well, even though mine has it.

Now why no KDSS? Just something else to fix and that much more to work around?

Now why no KDSS? Just something else to fix and that much more to work around?
It's not worth it in my opinion. The KDSS system is EXTREMELY expensive to fix if something goes wrong, which isn't very often, but it's something to think about. Also, if you plan to turn it into an adventure mobile, it limits aftermarket parts options due to fittment issues. I mean, if I need more flex, I can disconnect a swaybar link in about 30 seconds.

I chose 03-04 for ease of use and lack of extra electronics and systems that come with the later models. The "loss" of power is not even noticeable if you have it in good tune and take care of it. I also go mine 5+ years ago so price point was a major factor and 03 fit the budget at the time. I have put almost 100k miles on my truck in that time, completely built it, then completely updated the suspension in that time. I have zero regrets. Non-nav allowed me to do crazy aftermarket stereo fun. No KDSS allowed me to go all in on mods and build stuff.

I think it turned out well:

12885937_10153595208428123_7569103216298789684_o.jpg

I chose 03-04 for ease of use and lack of extra electronics and systems that come with the later models. The "loss" of power is not even noticeable if you have it in good tune and take care of it. I also go mine 5+ years ago so price point was a major factor and 03 fit the budget at the time. I have put almost 100k miles on my truck in that time, completely built it, then completely updated the suspension in that time. I have zero regrets. Non-nav allowed me to do crazy aftermarket stereo fun. No KDSS allowed me to go all in on mods and build stuff.

I think it turned out well:

12885937_10153595208428123_7569103216298789684_o.jpg
And to toot your horn, your build and Bonners build were the reason I bought one. Haven't looked back since!

I appreciate everyone's responses. It seems like KDSS was more for the factory offroader. I've read many people leaving their swaybar disconnected during the summer months no issue.

Something I read last night, was the VVT models are recommended to run premium. Anyone 05+ can comment? Have you still ran regular anyway?

Dan you do have an awesome rig. There's a lot of sweet builds in this community and still appears to have a tight-knit feel even though it appears to be growing. I have many of your threads saved for when it's time to start building mine up.

I appreciate everyone's responses. It seems like KDSS was more for the factory offroader. I've read many people leaving their swaybar disconnected during the summer months no issue.

Something I read last night, was the VVT models are recommended to run premium. Anyone 05+ can comment? Have you still ran regular anyway?

Dan you do have an awesome rig. There's a lot of sweet builds in this community and still appears to have a tight-knit feel even though it appears to be growing. I have many of your threads saved for when it's time to start building mine up.
Yes, it's recommended the VVT-i trucks use premium, but you'll be fine without it.

I've done some pretty crazy trails out in Moab, and never disconnected my links. You get quite a bit of flex even with them connected.

Yes, it's recommended the VVT-i trucks use premium, but you'll be fine without it.

I've done some pretty crazy trails out in Moab, and never disconnected my links. You get quite a bit of flex even with them connected.

Good to know. Are you in an 05+ then? How many miles have you ran regular?

Nice. Are you running stock wheels? I see you have one in the factory spare storage.

Good to know. Are you in an 05+ then? How many miles have you ran regular?

Nice. Are you running stock wheels? I see you have one in the factory spare storage.
Nope, mines an 03. I have 18x9 FN BFD rims on my truck with 285/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers.

The Sexy Lexy is going to be for sale at Expo this year in May, can't tell you what we are getting next as its a secret for now. We are selling fully equipt down to every last detail, all you need is the keys and it will be ready to travel the world, $85,000.00

Seth

Adventure%20Driven%20Lexy%20back%20shot-1_zps3cuwbdy4.jpg

The Sexy Lexy is going to be for sale at Expo this year in May, can't tell you what we are getting next as its a secret for now. We are selling fully equipt down to every last detail, all you need is the keys and it will be ready to travel the world, $85,000.00

Seth

Adventure%20Driven%20Lexy%20back%20shot-1_zps3cuwbdy4.jpg
Just to clarify, I'd also sell mine for $85,000. :)

*gasp*

85k? Are you joking?!

Seth- I love your GX as much as the next person but with that kind of money you could buy & build two GX's (plus a boat!) and still have cash leftover.

I really like KDSS as road handling is significantly improved. You also don't have to worry about disconnecting the sway bar. I would not consider the KDSS system to be failure prone either. Sliders and long travel suspension, long not extended, are the only things limited by kdss.

If you are torn test drive both and compare the differences, that's what sold me. I would prefer not to have the nav unit but mine came with one.

I will sell mine for $40k! :p

just wait and see, sold my 96 fj80 for $60,000.00 , Lexy will sell for a pile of $ also, so funny when people say they can build 2 trucks for 80K, that would be very difficult when Lexy has over $84K just in parts only, (funny when most don't even know the build list, LOL ), not including the truck or all the 2.5 months of labor, freight on parts and sales tax on parts, I have done it before and will do it again, last time a listed my 80 series here on mudd the for sale thread was full of negative chatter about the price, all that did is help the truck be known and spread the word, worked like a charm LOL :)
Seth

I don't disagree that it's a sweet GX, but 85k is a chunk of change.

Shoot your truck is the reason I still consider KDSS as a daily/adventure rig. I just have to stay more towards the practical/impractical line.

I don't disagree that it's a sweet GX, but 85k is a chunk of change.

Shoot your truck is the reason I still consider KDSS as a daily/adventure rig. I just have to stay more towards the practical/impractical line.
:) you will love it :)

Seth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom