Builds Patches - My '76 40. B3.3 Swap and some general fixin' up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got emblems, some body gaskets, knuckle kit, a 70 series relay rod and ends, 3M 2k seam sealer and PPG paint.

962B52A8-5A06-4841-9C9B-5355EDAB606D.jpeg

20EAAA66-AF45-41F5-AC12-D82898CF9406.jpeg

06AEDD09-CF43-485F-8965-0DBBC29C408A.jpeg

My current delimna is what to put under the tub. I want it to be body color. I’ve thought a lot about spray/roll on liners, and I’m currently thinking I don’t want to coat with anything opaque that could delay the finding of any corrosion years down the road. I would like to protect the paint though, at least in the fenderwells. Maybe I shouldn’t worry about rock chips and just go with paint? All the rot on these trucks seems to come from the seams anyway.

I have found this stuff:
Crystal Clear 2K Chip Guard (BCG4) – Largest Supplier of Industrial & Commercial Automotive Products

It’s a clear 2k chip guard. It’s more expensive than tintable Raptor liner, and I’m wondering if it’s almost the same thing? I haven’t been able to find any cases of anyone putting on tintable Raptor or Monstaliner without any color. I’m very curious to see what it looks like.

Thoughts, suggestions? I am probably overthinking this.

about the paint ,i see only one gallon on your pic , i needed one and half gallon for 2 coats , for the outside ,inside ,including the hard top ,under side was already black bedliner
if you plan to paint the under sides and hard top you probably need two gallon , in my case the top and doors color dont match with the tub because of the difference between the two gallon , it is safer to mix them together

about the paint ,i see only one gallon on your pic , i needed one and half gallon for 2 coats , for the outside ,inside ,including the hard top ,under side was already black bedliner
if you plan to paint the under sides and hard top you probably need two gallon , in my case the top and doors color dont match with the tub because of the difference between the two gallon , it is safer to mix them together

Correct I only bought one gallon. Dang, you might have had to meet me in the middle and swap tops and doors to see if we got a better match after I tried with one gallon and had to go back for more! :lol:

Thanks for the tip, that makes perfect sense to mix them.

The guy in the paint store assured me one gallon would be plenty - I even showed him pictures of everything I was going to paint. His experience seemed more with the auto oriented paints though, they didn’t even mix Delfleet there - he had to order it from Yakima for me.

Back to that rear crossmember... crunchy.
F44E7963-8687-4657-88B8-4C69101ED8EC.jpeg
4ADF3122-7D59-4625-A3C3-7C255CED55FE.jpeg

Got some stuff in from Kevin @Awl_TEQ . Thank you!
Wow is all I can say. M10 bolts just clear the holes by a couple thousandths and yet I can put it all together by hand. Superb workmanship and highly recommended!
94958B49-9CCB-4346-BD2C-F085130231C5.jpeg
215E77D1-4448-41F9-BD9C-EDE534E4C5D3.jpeg
6A6E22D5-F4CF-40AA-B51F-C8795E435690.jpeg

I hope to get this burned in this weekend, and if I’m lucky maybe get some paint on the bottom of the tub soon.

It was a beautiful weekend here in the PNW. Rather than work on the frame which I can do anytime, I decided to do some painting.

Did a little grinding and sandblasting to clean up the flash rust from last time I was working on it.
DE1E9F64-9E3D-4EE9-8F6F-3A2A881128A3.jpeg

2 nice coats of epoxy primer.
BB523AAE-288A-49B9-A2F5-6AD0FD1D8AF4.jpeg

Seam sealer, and then some color.
7B6C3439-73EA-4DFC-A3D7-70675E5023B2.jpeg

I’m stoked on the color. There’s a few bugs, some sand, some runs... but at least this is underneath. I don’t plan on painting the top side in the driveway, but this was great practice.
6EBDF6C2-67F9-4D69-B216-4029AFBC482A.jpeg
47B7721E-A19B-41BF-9178-BE5D593CF38C.jpeg

Nothing like the first coat of color to make you feel progress! :)

Looks great! Love that color. Gonna have a couple more days of this kind of weather, you should keep it up.
Maybe next weekend.. the quarters and rockers will need some high build primer and sanding prior to final color. I’m gonna try and get the rear crossmember knocked out this week so I can take the axles our and get the frame out for blasting and galvanizing .

The death wheel came out and the old crossmember fell in defeat.

Prior to cutting it off I welded some angle iron further back on the frame that extended back with holes matching up to the body mount holes so I could get the new one aligned properly.

F6C05BAA-7393-49A3-856F-83F8DC12159E.jpeg

And it’s on. I still need to cut out the spring perches (they’re in good shape) and get those and the gusset plates put together.

8D2F33C0-1397-4E29-94BC-92DFEE403436.jpeg

Wow it’s been a while. Got a little something done this week. Found the perfect tires for it! 7.50R16 KM3’s.
2C89D759-845F-452C-B3BD-A6BAB6F9BAB1.jpeg

Here is one next to a 33x10.50 on my FJ62. Sweet!
8C30ECFD-ACE5-4F53-B0C2-926ABDAA0135.jpeg

Did a little disassembly today.
ED1FAB04-68D6-4E10-B4F4-7B488D659022.jpeg

Frame is loaded up. I’m going to take the rear crossmember parts off and assemble them after galvanizing and prior to painting.
AA8402B7-BC98-4E04-8E93-5D26FACA707A.jpeg

Those tires are awesome.
Thanks! I think @wngrog will beat me to having set of them mounted to a running vehicle though!
Terrace BC eh? Been through there on my way to Kitamat and Kemano, now that’s the Pacific Northwest!

ha cool, i was just kemano about 2 hrs ago, pretty country up here. looking forward to seeing those tires rolling. gonna look into ordering a set for my truck. nice job on your truck.

Those are indeed tall and skinny tires!

That blue truck looks suspiciously Dodge. What happened to the old Ford?

Those are indeed tall and skinny tires!

That blue truck looks suspiciously Dodge. What happened to the old Ford?
Oh that blue truck is dodgey alright :eek:.
Rusty RedFerd found a new home. A hippy chick wanted it for her antique store as a shop truck. I had to be honest with myself and get something safely capable of pulling a trailer and with 4-wheel drive. That Dodge was the cheapest pickup I could find with a V8, 4-wheel drive, under 100k miles, fuel injection and a manual transmission. I liked that old Ford better though.. 35 year head start and it will still probably outlast this Dodge ;).

Had some nice weather today. I rolled the tub out, went over it with red scotch brite and degreaser, and put several coats of thiss stuff on.
20181014_130934.jpg

I didn't want to put bedliner under it, hut wanted more protection than just paint. It went on nicely.
20181014_143446.jpg

And a shot of the whole thing, because well I love seeing this color..
20181014_143801.jpg

Hopefully I get some more done soon! This pile of parts needs to become a LandCruiser again.

Last edited:
This is going to be so nice when it's done!

Funny how when we get a good run of weather like this in the PNW, we scramble to get our projects done. I'm currently doing an outdoors engine swap on a different car, trying to get it done in the next couple of days while the weather holds.

You should take the next few days off of work, and get this thing painted before the weather turns sour for the next six months.

This is going to be so nice when it's done!

Funny how when we get a good run of weather like this in the PNW, we scramble to get our projects done. I'm currently doing an outdoors engine swap on a different car, trying to get it done in the next couple of days while the weather holds.

You should take the next few days off of work, and get this thing painted before the weather turns sour for the next six months.
I would love to take a week off and knock out the rest of the paint, and this week looks ideal. Unfortunately that's not possible right now. I am going to need to start reassembling the truck soon, with only the bottom of the tub and the frame/axles done. The topside and removeable components (doors, hardtop, hood, fenders, etc.) will have to wait. It will be easy enough to do that later and will allow me to get all the peripherals for the diesel swap sorted out while it's in one piece. We have another kid coming in December (plus the 15 month old) so my time is going to get shorter very soon. Less chance of this whole thing getting mothballed if it's all together and moveable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom