Build Patches - My '76 40. B3.3 Swap and some general fixin' up

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was thinking about putting a plate across the front of the seat mount to keep tool bags/etc from sliding out from under the seat onto the floor. Decided to do this instead. Easy to remove and solid when locked in.
1000029667.webp

20260703_105854.webp


Then everything came out to be able to get at the floor/firewall for insulation/liner.

20260703_143317.webp
 
Gutted. Cleaned. Scuffed. Fresh epoxy.
1000029847.webp


PPG Delfleet then color matched Raptor on the floors.
20260711_215851.webp


Fiberglass mat backed 10mil aluminum heat shield under trans tunnel (after sectioning it to raise it 1" to get more clearance for a different trans mount).
20260714_071826.webp


heat shield on the firewall to. This was tedious work.
20260715_202820.webp


Starting to refit things and have the AC mocked up. Inside of firewall got a 3 layer product that's butyl rubber, closed cell foam, and mass loaded vinyl.
20260715_224243.webp


Also got in new windshield top gasket, cowl to windshield gasket, all the door felts and inside tracks, cowl drain tubes, and misc other soft parts.
 
Put some speakers in the back to compliment the ones in the overhead console.
20260720_182745.webp
20260720_184625.webp


Cut a piece of rubber mat to go under the driver's seat, it always bugged me that the (CCOT?) mats I had didn't cover that area. I cleaned all the mats up with acetone and used spray contact cement to glue a jute backing under them. Readily removable for cleaning or drying and should help with the heat/ noise.
20260720_204902.webp


I was in Menards this past weekend looking at the flooring and carpeting - they had a rubberized foam floor runner, 36" wide, $2.50 a foot. I cut pieces out and used contact cement to attach them to a rubber stair edge protector to make covers for the wheel wells, again backed with jute. It's not going to be as durable as a rubber mat, but this area shouldn't see much abuse anyway, and they were cheap and easy to make.


20260721_194500.webp


20260721_194556.webp

Still lots to do before Solid Axle Summit.. other than the headliner and covering my console, I should be done with glue and scissors for a while and can get back to nuts and bolts and wires.
 
Seats, pedal bucket, column, console etc back in. Finished up the overhead console and put the top on. AC hoses fit and crimped. Some wiring to do yet, for added 12v and USB outlets on front and back of tuffy console as well as the new overhead, plus stereo and amp.


20260722_213632.webp
20260724_103320.webp
20260724_104528.webp
20260724_131116.webp
20260724_194740.webp
 
Got the compressor mounted. I don't love it but it should work fine. Washer/ overflow from an '82. Moved battery and got an appropriate size one to replace the little skinny one I had mounted lower near the alternator.

20260727_004150.webp


A/C is pretty much done. Just need to route the drain (tee into cowl vent). New dash pad from fj40dash.com . Interior is about a good as it's gonna get apart from some wire routine and reinstalling mats.

20260727_233638.webp


I put a couple of fuse panels in the glove box (one for constant and one for switched, off a relay) to organize accessory power. Now that it's all "alive" I'm very glad I went ahead with the powered sub under the seat. Makes a world of difference (at least in the shop with the engine off 🤣.)

9/20 of my punch list items done.
Tomorrow I'll full the coolant, verify the PWM controller is doing what it should with engine running (testing was fine with a camp stove on the fender), charge the A/C, and take it to town to full the tank... I hope...
20260727_220422.webp
 
So many little things done. Took it to town tonight to fill up. AC is working great. Still need to wrap the fittings as they're sweating pretty good, but the truck was 67F inside once out on the blacktop. Win.
I think the fan controller set point span needs opened up some, it ramps up to full bore too quick and the +50% duty cycle that the AC on creates a 100% condition too quick, resulting in it pulling 40A at idle and with the headlights on too that means 12.3V. Good news is it didn't break 190 on the drive to and from town with the AC blasting so I definately have the cooling capacity with the new fan. Need to play with the controller some...

The noise/heat insulation seems to work very well. It is still a 40 for sure, but after 40 mph and out of boost you could be forgiven for not knowing it was a diesel, and under 40 mph it's waaaay quieter.
20260728_215608.webp
 
I did a terrible job getting pictures during SAS10 in Colorado last month... need to go through the wife's camera roll. I think I was only taking pictures when she was driving!

I did have an issue with my high pressure power steering hose... did a couple successively better trail repairs on it, and made it through the week. It's since been replaced with a regular -6 JIC hydraulic hose, which it should have had in the first place. Many thanks to Dennis and a couple other folks who helped out on the trail.

The 600w fan worked amazing, no issues at altitude even idling with AC on in the heat. It was a hot one this summer out there. I unloaded the truck in Gunnison and drove the last 2 hours in the 40 with my son to try things out at altitude (andnin 95 degree heat) while I still had time to do some tweeking if necessary.

Didn't fuel up till Thursday, after wheeling all week. 16 mpg for 3/4 of a tank mostly in 4lo. Previous trips in gas rigs result in 5-7 mpg averages for these kind of days.
20260805_134734.webp
20260805_121614.webp
20260804_111142.webp
20260806_141219.webp
20260806_133217.webp
 
I had seen something in "Toyota Trails" about the Tall Corn Cruiser Classic, in Iowa that is put on by Tall Corn Cruisers at MIOBI off road park. Not having much in the way of "local" happenings, I pinged @Dudleyfj40 who told me to come on up. I drove the 3.5 hrs. up after work on a Friday. Didn't know anyone up there, but as usual the cruiser community is full of great folks and I received a great welcome and had a great weekend wheeling.
20260828_165929.webp
20260829_094009.webp
20260829_120413.webp
20260829_132516.webp
received_1726341241909950.webp


One of the guys in attendance has a YouTube Channel and made a video of the event, including this short which prominently features Patches!

 
I had balance issues with my BFG's in Colorado, which didnt seem too much better after rebalancing them prior to the Iowa trip. A closer examination of the tires showed a bunch of cracking that told me it was time for new rubber.. (these are almost 6 years old).
20260910_173335.webp


I got a set of the "new" Kenda 33x9.50r15's, seen here between (left) a 7.50r16 and (right) a 33x10.50.
20260903_175805.webp

20260903_182843.webp
20260903_184023.webp
20260903_181903.webp
 
I had seen something in "Toyota Trails" about the Tall Corn Cruiser Classic, in Iowa that is put on by Tall Corn Cruisers at MIOBI off road park. Not having much in the way of "local" happenings, I pinged @Dudleyfj40 who told me to come on up. I drove the 3.5 hrs. up after work on a Friday. Didn't know anyone up there, but as usual the cruiser community is full of great folks and I received a great welcome and had a great weekend wheeling.
It nice meeting you and was a pleasure having you there! It's always nice to have Cruiser savvy people at our event so we dont have to talk about Heeps all weekend. LOL
 
Back
Top Bottom