P0420 and P0430 - 2006 LC (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW, my buddy (the Toyota Master Tech) has been installing the URD circuits like crazy since I showed them to him - most everyone with aftermarket / high-flow cats were having issues, now none of us are.

To be very clear, DTC was not trigger yet but I was checking on OBD2 and saw the two codes pending when I was driving.

I also noticed the pending code would clear and come back to pending very often.

Voltage is not right. Will put back the old one.

image.png

Swapped the front one with old ones.
So now, A/F is old one and the back o2 sensors are new with denso.

Will report back if any codes triggered.

Do I need to disconnect the battery after installing sensors or reset with obd2 would do the trick?

Does anyone know how many on/off cycles
Will adjust to the new ones?
Am asking cuz I saw pending codes after installing the old (p2195) and reset it again.
Now if I should have codes, I would get the p0430 unless the new o2 sensors do the trick.

I have driven my LX for 300 +\- with no codes pending or trigging.

Hope it stays this way :)

I bought a 2005 LC 2 months back and after 200 miles my P0430 code went off. I did the typical cheap fixes at first:
  • New Toyota Gas cap
  • Cleaned MAF
  • Air Filter
Every time I reset the it with my OBD, it would take 25-30 miles before the light went off and the code reappeared. Instead of doing what the mechanic said and replace the right CAT.... i bought the upstream and downstream o2 sensors of Amazon for about $52/each. Went with Denso 02 sensors. 1,250 miles later and we are still good - no light and I passed the NH State Inspection. I would replace both sensors first before replacing the costly CAT.

I bought a 2005 LC 2 months back and after 200 miles my P0430 code went off. I did the typical cheap fixes at first:
  • New Toyota Gas cap
  • Cleaned MAF
  • Air Filter
Every time I reset the it with my OBD, it would take 25-30 miles before the light went off and the code reappeared. Instead of doing what the mechanic said and replace the right CAT.... i bought the upstream and downstream o2 sensors of Amazon for about $52/each. Went with Denso 02 sensors. 1,250 miles later and we are still good - no light and I passed the NH State Inspection. I would replace both sensors first before replacing the costly CAT.
I've heard but not seen 05 built between May and June 05 are VVti engine. Do you have the VVti engine?

Be nice to see everyone that had this issues come back here and report what they did and what was the outcome?

Shortly after purchasing my 2003 LC I got both the P0420 and P0430 codes at 165K miles. Cleared and came back several times. Replaced both downstream sensors with Denso from Amazon, no more issues. Until when recently I rolled over 200K miles, got a P0420. Cleared it, then a hundred miles later got a P0430. Weird that they would both last exactly 35K miles. I'm currently in South America and don't feel like working on it here, planning to replace both again when I get back to the US.

you drove your truck to s. america? bad ass!

Be nice to see everyone that had this issues come back here and report what they did and what was the outcome?
2007 - *think* I fixed it. Reporting back here. I was consistently getting P0420 and P0430 codes. At least one time per tank of gas. Sometimes the codes would come in together and sometimes I’d get them separately. I would clear them and then watch them for any other symptoms.

Here’s what I did (in this order, checking each time for codes coming back).

1) cleaned MAF (did not see any visual dirt, water spots - but probably had never been cleaned before)
2) replaced air filter (was a little dusty but not bad)
3) replaced gas cap (I may have broken one of the white plastic pieces in the cap, not sure)
4) put in BG 44K to clean fuel system

* after all of these “cheap” fixes I was still getting both codes

5) installed downstream O2 sensor - codes/CEL did not clear on their own, so I cleared and they have not been back in ~500 miles of driving and 2 fill ups.

6) I went ahead and changed the upstream O2 sensors because I had them ordered and we are all OCD like that

The advice has been given here already, but if I had to do it all over again, I’d jump straight to replacing the O2 sensors (downstream first).

If had not fixed with O2, I would have done fuel pump/filter next, then a full Cat replacement (not sure if would have tried aftermarket or not to save $$).

Here are pics of the old downstream O2 sensors.
5f33ee76-47f4-4d95-8b92-341a26659568-jpeg.1639409

Here are the old upstream O2 sensors.

5b40bc72-a33a-48d7-9984-85be3a191a1f-jpeg.1639410

As you can see, the upstream were in better shape. Not sure if I needed to change them or not, but I did.

Great thanks for the up date. O2's (rear O2's) have had the most success.

Hope we hear more reports from those P0430 & P0420 codes.

I'll chime in...
Last July I got my first 420/430 codes on a trip from PA to North Carolina. I attribute this to a high elevation, they would go on/off intermittently themselves as elevation changed and upon returning home they cleared themselves.

They continued to show up intermittently, usually after or during short drives around town. Long highway hauls, or towing a trailer must have generated enough heat to get a valid reading. I cleaned the MAF and replaced my fuel filter but that seemed to have no real effect.

A month ago I had to do something because my CEL was on full-time and I was up for inspection.

Since some people recommended doing the front sensors first that is what I did. I cleared the codes manually and they were right back on my second drive. So I crossed my fingers and ordered the rears. Cleared the codes again and they've been off after many drives and about 300 miles. I think I'm in the clear!

So, +1 for doing the rear sensors first.
They're also a lot easier to swap out.
But I figure I did some PM and have the old front ones as spares now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom