Builds Owyhee J.A. BJ75 Troopy Journal (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I got the correct LED light in the rear housing now and my lights don't want to turn off with the door switch. They get dimmer, but stay on. The rear light has never worked with the door switch (other than the front) but now both are on whether the doors are open or not. Both turn off with the switch on the light, but don't work with the door switch. This truck has/had some funky wiring 'updates' in it's past so not blaming Odd Iron at all, just curious that the lights don't want to go off now. I may try switching polarity of the rear light. I know Toyota liked to do a constant hot with a switched ground, maybe I've got one of the bulbs in backwards or something.

Ended up putting my old stock 24V bulb in the cargo area so the door switch works to kill the lights again. I need to find a resistor equivalent to that bulb I think, put in line and then I can use the LED light in the cargo area again.

I don't think I ever documented this, I got the Toyota headlight wiring upgrade kit a few years ago and the relays burnt out on me...twice. I sourced a 'high-current' relay from Ali Express, and put it in last fall, made it all winter without burning out.

Omron G8HN-1A4T-RH Ordered two, the one that was failing was the low beam, so I only replaced it. Both my low and high beams made it through the winter without burning up.

IMG_20210309_185225450.jpg

Omron G8HN-1A4T-RH-Spec1.JPG

G'day mate, awesome build. Have you ever checked your injection pump timing? I've also got a 14BT, but in my 40 series (on a 75 series chassis), so pretty similar to you.

I have not. Just stuck it in and have been driving it.

I have not. Just stuck it in and have been driving it.
All good... If you ever check it, I'd be keen to hear what it is set at. The PO stuffed around with mine, but I've got it dialled in pretty good now. I'm just curious to find out what others are set at. Would you be able to take a photo of the bottom of your oil pan looking forward to show the clearance with your front shaft? I'm modifying mine the same way you modified yours when you first got your project going. My current pan has been modded too many times and likes to leak at the front.

Not the best photos, let me know if you need a different angle.
IMG_20210608_103637210.jpg
IMG_20210608_103647402.jpg
IMG_20210608_103711127.jpg

That's perfect mate... I thought you used the original 14B oil pan and cut the right hand wing off? Is this a 3Bii pan?

I initially did that, then swapped the 3BII pan onto it. Don't remember why...one reason for this thread I 'cause I have such a s***ty memory and I missed documenting that, sorry.

I initially did that, then swapped the 3BII pan onto it. Don't remember why...one reason for this thread I 'cause I have such a s***ty memory and I missed documenting that, sorry.
No stress mate... I'm exactly the same. Do you remember if you had to modify the 3bii pan to fit at all? Not that I can find one because they are rarer than hens teeth... but it would be good to know.

No, it was a direct fit. I think it was because I couldn't get the starter in.

Ordered some new mirrors, an antenna and ashtray, plus a few other things. I've not received the antenna or ashtray, but got the mirrors and that's all I've had time to install. I should have ordered new mounting screws for the mirrors too, but forgot. Prior owner(s) had painted the mirrors as well as the screws, probably to 'freshen up' the black finish. The passenger side mirror had a vibration that bugged the s*** out of me. My 55 developed the same kind of vibration and I never bought new mirrors for it when they were available and now I'm stuck with the vibration on it. I figured I'd better by new mirrors for the 75 before they

go NLA. Screws had blue loctite on them. I used my impact screw-driver to get them out and a large (#4?) Philips to get them out.

Tools.JPG

Old passenger side.
Old.JPG

New
New back.JPG
New front.JPG

Ordered some new mirrors, an antenna and ashtray, plus a few other things. I've not received the antenna or ashtray, but got the mirrors and that's all I've had time to install. I should have ordered new mounting screws for the mirrors too, but forgot. Prior owner(s) had painted the mirrors as well as the screws, probably to 'freshen up' the black finish. The passenger side mirror had a vibration that bugged the s*** out of me. My 55 developed the same kind of vibration and I never bought new mirrors for it when they were available and now I'm stuck with the vibration on it. I figured I'd better by new mirrors for the 75 before they

go NLA. Screws had blue loctite on them. I used my impact screw-driver to get them out and a large (#4?) Philips to get them out.

View attachment 2717006

Old passenger side.
View attachment 2717007

New
View attachment 2717013View attachment 2717014

They look good, do you have a part number for those? I have the small ones on mine and they rattle when you close them despite one of them being brand new.

Here you go, they come with the rubber mounting gasket. I haven't driven it yet, I sure hope these don't rattle.

Capture.JPG

That's what I did too, but I cut the back off of the single din cubby for clearance of the gauges and fabbed a face plate out of 1/8" ABS to mount 2 of them. There is room for one more. Currently have EGT and Coolant Temp in place and planning to add boost. I find them unobtrusive and very easy to see. And like others have said they appear period correct.

View attachment 2433143
I finally got a couple of these Auber gages. I think I'll try mounting them like you did. What did you screw the ABS plate into? Is there some metal behind that cubby? I need to take the dash apart and figure it out, but if you've got some install pics, can you point me towards them?

I finally got a couple of these Auber gages. I think I'll try mounting them like you did. What did you screw the ABS plate into? Is there some metal behind that cubby? I need to take the dash apart and figure it out, but if you've got some install pics, can you point me towards them?
sad to say it's just in the ashtray spot. It kind of wedges in there and doesn't move :meh: so I haven't mounted it.

My plans were to get the altimeter mount and stick it up there, but it's been pretty low priority.

I attached the ABS with 4 very small, black round head, sheet metal screws (like what are used in electronics) and secured to the flat face part of the cubby. I found the screws at the local hardware store. The cubby is angled, and I had to cut about 3/4 of it off so it did not interfere with the gauges.

I had posted this when I first started on it, and you can see how the ABS sits in the recess and is almost flush with the rest of the trim piece. Screws are in each corner of the ABS, but I did not get a photo at the time.

This photo shows (not very well) the small screws I used for securing the ABS to the cubby, and installed in the truck. There is now a boost gauge in there too. All 3 fit very nicely and are easy to glance at while driving.

auber gauges 01.jpg

Hopefully those help.

Thanks, yes it helps. I looked at the cubby closer today and see the recess. I hate to cut into that piece, but it's not much use for anything else. I currently just stick my charging cord in it while not in use.

Thanks, yes it helps. I looked at the cubby closer today and see the recess. I hate to cut into that piece, but it's not much use for anything else. I currently just stick my charging cord in it while not in use.

That cubby was pretty useless to me. I did pickup this chicom piece that looks just like the Toyota part in newer 70 series trucks. It fits perfectly in my 86 troopy and holds funny little stuff, like charger cords, sea shells, phone etc; and it has an adult beverage holder. Mine did not have the usb port option that is listed in the link, which is kind of cool if needed...

I think I have my old single din/cubby trim piece that you can have if you want to do a test run. If I remember correctly, one of the mounting holes is cracked or broken, but it would work if you wanted a mock up before you modify yours. I'll look tomorrow and let you know if I still have it. If I do, and you want it, it's yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom