Owners post here...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yea i had checked that one out. i was a little turned off by the mustang engine thats all. i was hoping for a decent running 2F and maybe more like 7-8k.....but thats me dreaming huh?

I have a 1965 fj45lwb, currently with a flat bed. It has a 5" alcan lift 35" BFG at's . 1974 4 bolt main 350, sm420 trans, 3spd case. 1976 fj40 axles with 4 wheel disc breaks. color is seafoam green, 8000 lb winch.
fj45.jpg

Last edited:
my 45 pile...

I have a sage green 1967 45 lv pickup on 33's, otherwise bone stock.

Also a 1966 45 lv pickup on 31's, redone to stock, dark brithish green. warn 8000.

And a 64 45 lv wagon in too many damn pieces right now. Soon to be green. Has 327, t 400(not in rig, just sitting next to it still) soa, hydro assist steering, 35's, discs, trac bar, full skid, sliders, warn 9500i, and some lockers. Hoping to be out on the trails this summer, if I could only work on it rather then stay on the computer!!

Goebs

Do "use-tah haves" count?

Kinda sucks...had a $7000 cashiers check in hand on my way to ATL to buy it back...and wrecked the truck I was driving.

I wish people didn't talk on cell phones while driving....cost me a Cruiser and a very nice Duramax.

my little fj45lv

mine is a 66. tag is fj45-23062 brass tag is t-66. it was 3 on the tree.it is now 454 350 205 d60 ft corp 14 rear coils all 4 corners discs all 4 corners. its titled in oregon. found in junk yard about 1.5 years ago in southeastern washington. pics are old havent touched for a while.
my toyota fj45lv 040 (2).jpg
rep.jpg

I got my my 76 HJ-45lwb pickup from Erin Heard who had purchased it in the Northern Territories while on a multi-month "walkabout". He drove it, slept in it, and saw it loaded on a ship in Sydney at journey's end. From what he told me, it shipped into the Port of Houston, from which he trailered it up to Little Rock. (If I had known sooner, I could have spared him the trouble and taken it off his hands right then and there, LOL!)

Anyway, Erin put it up on eBay and, although I was the high bidder, it did not reach the reserve he'd set. We subsequently came to terms privately and the deal was done. The truck was a little rough; however, it was all there and I drove it back down to Houston.

Some things needed to be attended to immediately such as a new water pump and a complete overhaul of the cooling system. I installed a 4 row radiator from CCOT and had the heater put back into service. The box and core were there, but the heater valve was gone and there was no heater hoses running from the radiator pipe or elbow fitting. I scored all the necessary parts from SOR and had a lower radiator pipe custom made by a friend in an muffler shop.

The truck got a basic paint job (Dune Beige) and the bed was lined with a color-matched material and it turned out great. The seats were pulled, the frames cleaned up and painted, and the seats then were redone in black leather. While the seats were out, the truck was in the shop having the H41 and transfer pulled and my buddy Javier installed an H55F and split case combo--including the SOR emergency brake kit. Rear seal and clutch, button up and everthing fit together great. I took the front drive shaft (with little wear) and had it lengthened and installed as the rear shaft. The rear shaft was shortened, got new u-joints and was then installed in the front.

A buddy up in Garland built a custom bracket for an AC compressor. The alternator was swung down lower to make room and the new bracket hooks on to that swivel bolt, and also bolts onto the engine. It's a really sweet piece of work and places the AC components in great position for service, etc. The in-dash portion had the housing custom-made because the unit was being installed in a RHD cruiser. The results were great and, because of the small cab, it's really very efficient at cooling things off.

I pulled off the front drums and installed the jtoutfitters disk brake conversion and, with some slight modifications, it fit and works great--even with a stock master cylinder.

On thing I have never liked about the truck was the cradle setup that carried the spare tire underneath the bed. I like the location; however, the cradle seemed kinda rinky dink. I had a spare crossmemeber and winch from an old FJ-60. With some cutting to narrow the piece, and then some welding, I now had a much more acceptable spare carrier.

I love this truck and the long wheelbase irons out a LOT of the famous harsh, choppy ride that we know so well about the 40 series. The thing that I have noticed is that with an unknown number of kilometers on the truck (most likely 310,000k or 410,000k), I am thinking about a repower or rebuild. I have my eye on one of three engines: 1KZ-T, 1PZ, or 1HZ. I find that the KZ in my 70 is simply a marvelous performer. It's got plenty of power and torque and has the same SOHC setup of the other two engines and is already turbocharged. The PZ and HZ seem a good fit in the spacious engine bay of the 45; however, they can be somewhat pricey--especially the HZ. If I go that route, then I'll still end up with the cost of turbocharging, but with GREAT results. All I need is the engine and flywheel, as I've already got the proper bellhousing/tranny/transfer combo from a KZT-powered LandCruiser II from the UK.

Anyway, that's my 45... and some rambling thoughts on a truck that I have grown to love.

Here's my Daily Driver. It's a '65 LV that I've made look like a '60 FJ35 by swapping the front end from a '60 FJ25. So far I've gone thru the engine, steering, brakes, clutch, gas tank, fuel lines, rear springs, and the body from the windshield forward. Still has the 3 speed, and I might be changing it back from floor to colume shift. Marv Specter was the P.O. and he installed a 2F years ago. Love the 2F power and getting 17 MPG. Gonna keep it stock except for the body changes and the 2F. No PS or PB. Love the way it wheels and drives just like it is.
Gene's '65LV 2.jpg

Last edited:
The "new" truck is a Central American specification truck which has NO heater or A/C and best of all, almost no RUST :) My plan is to do a complete resto on it in the automotive shop class that I teach. I hope to swap in a 4 speed and front discs just to make things more driver friendly. If the F engine isn't decent it might become a diesel too!
Almost made it across Guatemala City under it's own power until the fan belt jumped off and caused the rad hose to blow.

Last edited:
03/26/05. I have become a proud owner of a 1964lv. The vin below is the information for your registry. Hidden in a garage for 9 years, has surfaced and is now parked in mine. Pics are at www.fjtoys.com.
MVC-679F.JPG

Last edited:
Here are some of mine:
Pict2187a.jpg
fire.jpg

Last edited:
More - had but gone now:
Dcp00922.jpg
dcp00913.jpg
Dcp01083.jpg

Last edited:
The SWB
Pict2195a.jpg

Not FJ - FA!! (sold)
Pict0625.jpg

Not HJ - HQ!

Hope you guys dont mind me stretching the model variations a little...
hq-5.jpg

1965 lwb

"Farmer-find"

The entire drivetrain was disassembled and in the bed when I found it, and it had been that way for a least 10 years. Valves, lifters etc. were in coffee cans full of rust.

I bought a 1984 FJ60 that had multiple colored body parts, been in few accidents, and put it's entire drivetrain under the 45, PS, DB, Booster, 4spd, t-case...
P2110017.jpg

Last edited:
My '82 FJ45, currently stock, I've got a fiberglass top for it as well as the factory soft top bows and a new softop. Has the large drum brakes all the way around, the 16" wheels barely clear the drums. I haven't decided what my plans are for it yet.

edit: old pics were gone so updated with new ones.

IMG_2885.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg

IMG_2887.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom