Overshot tire size (??) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a ‘78 FJ40 with what believe is a 2.5” OME lift. I grabbed some 33x10.50 Maxxis Razr MTs as an upgrade to the 31x10.50s that came on the vehicle. Everything I read led me to believe the new tires would fit. After the first run with any real bumps it looks like I have some rubbing in the rear wheel wells.

How concerned should I be? It seems pretty benign other than the paint wearing off. But I’m also a total newb when it comes to making badass vehicles more badass.

47820DA2-3D6F-4DBC-86A8-8EE82A64ADDB.jpeg

D8C3F16E-D2B2-406F-BCA0-414010C33969.jpeg

is the other side rubbing also?

where it's rubbing is fairly common and should only rub. If it cutting the tire then it's really a problem. You could try 1/4" spacers between the rim and thr drum. If you do this make sure you have enough clearance between the tire and the wheel opening and that the lug nuts have enough thread engagement. I wouldnt limit flexibility, unless it was a last resort.

My trail 40 has a 5"+ lift with 35's on it and my inner wheel wells have shiney metal where the tires rub.

Funny, my 4" lift, same tire wheel combo, I haven't seen the same on mine.

I think that would make sense based on my measurements. The rub marks are ~2” in the wheel well. If you have another 1.5” of clearance you might not have the rubs.

It’s also worth noting that these tires are a true 33” x 10.5”. A lot of tires I looked at were advertised as 33x10.50 but were a good bit shy in actual size. The 31s I took off were closer to 29”.

I'm curious as to how much clearance mine has now in that spot, I've never really noticed anything.

Same tire and lift combo, haven't noticed any rubbing on mine but if it does it's minimal enough to where I haven't noticed.

Looks like my truck with a different paint job...Yeah. I actually just noticed while I was getting gas. Didn’t notice any noise in the moment. Of course, it’s hard to hear anything in the moment, so 🤷‍♂️...Guess I’ll leave it and see how it goes.

33x10.5x15 BFG KM3's with a 3" lift on mine, and no rubbing in that spot.

Rubbing or not is going to be dependant on your lift/tirerim combo and the trails you ride. In my case, my trail 40 spends most of its time on my trails and the suspension gets flexed to the max quite often.

Last edited:
Rubbing or not is going to be dependant on your lift/tirerim combo and the trails you ride. In my case, my trail 40 spends most of its time on my trails and the suspension gets flexed to the max quite often.
Might explain why my 40 doesn’t rub, I only flex it at the mall parking lot and in line for coffee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom