SOLD (or trade) Idaho: 1985 Toyota FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
Color
Beige
Here's a pretty low-effort post contemplating selling or trading my FJ60.

I like my 60 a lot. It is a ton of fun to drive. I've rebuilt the knuckles and desmogged it. It's manual steering on a power steering box. The pump was bad when I got it, had been run dry. I think it might have leaked out the steering box.

Steering track bar is set a little wide, needs to come in some. I have a driver's side motor mount that needs to go on and the throttle plate doesn't close well. Timing needs to come back down. The HAC isn't installed, it kind of came apart. I do have a rebuild kit for the carburetor that may or may not fix the throttle issue.

Certainly not your cleanest, nicest FJ60. It's a tri-color. Front passenger door interior is not original at all. No radio. A/C belt isn't on and probably needs to be charged.

Rear main seal is leaking. Has other leaks. I've driven long days on the highway without any issue. There is some small coolant leak now that I need to track down.

Some of my original intent of buying the FJ60 has changed. I do like it a lot, but the interior space really isn't better than say a first generation 4Runner. I know a lot of people feel claustrophobic in the mini-trucks. I really don't mind them at all.

The mileage is just never going to be great on the 60. I do love the 2F motor otherwise though and don't feel like I could ever swap it. But between the motor, the extra width, and height, the frontal area is a lot more than a mini truck and the thing just weighs more. No way it can be as efficient.

I do like the solid leaf sprung axles. The ride isn't so great, but very simple and extremely durable.

The FJ60 is a decent towing vehicle for single axle trailers, but I could probably be alright losing out there to some degree.

I think I might be better off with a 4x4 pickup. Solid axle or IFS (not Tacoma). I think I prefer the single cabs. The 22-RE is a good motor, although certainly down on torque compared to the FJ60. But, a 4x4 pickup would weigh a lot less, even with a topper.

I guess something like the FJ60 that's more economical would be nice. I don't need rear seats. Maybe I won't be sleeping in Walmart parking lots quite as much as I thought, so getting into the camper isn't such a big deal.

I should probably take a couple pictures of it. I think most of it is Beige Metalic which I wasn't able to select. Texas title.

Alright, here's some pictures:

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

Last edited:
this isnt a 3 goat rig. but 2 goats and second best daughter seems about right in the current market.

How much would you sell it for?

Ideally, would trade. But if not, I'd have a hard time taking less than $5,000 for it. That would get me to be about break even. I don't know if it's worth more than that or less.

Just did the driver's side motor mount. Old one was split in half.

Its hard to tell the exact condition from your photos. If it has little or no rust and its just a mix of body panel colors and dents then $5k is plausible but doubtful you'd get much more. A truck like this is the kind you take hunting and park in the woods and don't fear it getting scratched or dented. In the current market with mass unemployment and travel restrictions your pool of buyers is likely restricted to local or those willing to pay for auto shipping....and shipping can easily add $1000 the cost.

Thank you, Seth. I thinkt hat's completely fair.

Had a request for the photo of the driver's side door frame stamp, so I'm attaching it here.

drivers-side-door-frame-stamp.jpg

Its hard to tell the exact condition from your photos. If it has little or no rust and its just a mix of body panel colors and dents then $5k is plausible but doubtful you'd get much more. A truck like this is the kind you take hunting and park in the woods and don't fear it getting scratched or dented. In the current market with mass unemployment and travel restrictions your pool of buyers is likely restricted to local or those willing to pay for auto shipping....and shipping can easily add $1000 the cost.

Agreed - being in the general region (NE OR), I'd likely see this on Craigslist with an ask of $4k and negotiate in the low to mid $3k'ish.

In looking at your pictures again I think the lack of power steering is a pretty big value detractor and I see that pretty much everything external to the carb has been plugged or removed. Those would all be things that I as a knowledgeable FJ60 buyer would be concerned about.

Agreed - being in the general region (NE OR), I'd likely see this on Craigslist with an ask of $4k and negotiate in the low to mid $3k'ish.

You may well be right. I can't tell what's happening with the market for vehicles like this now, either.

In looking at your pictures again I think the lack of power steering is a pretty big value detractor and I see that pretty much everything external to the carb has been plugged or removed. Those would all be things that I as a knowledgeable FJ60 buyer would be concerned about.

That's definitely fair. The power steering pump was completely shot when I got it. I think fluid was leaking out the bottom of the steering box and someone let it run low until it killed the pump. I still have the pump and brackets. I personally don't mind lack of power steering that much, but everyone is different there.

I got the carburetor off yesterday, looking into options rebuilding or maybe something like a City Racer carburetor (albeit, out of stock). I am worried this one may have some worn out shafts that may make getting it running right difficult. The main issue now is that the throttle wouldn't want to close all the way. You could force it to a good idle by pulling back up on the pedal, though. So maybe the spring is just a little worn out, maybe not. Definitely not as simple as motorcycle carburetors.

Can you post a better picture of the drivers side passenger door where the dent is on the fender? Looks like that needs some decent body work done in that section. I have a 1994 FZJ80 I am considering parting out, but I might be interested in a trade. 297K on the clock.

The good on it.
Lockers
No rust
All electrical works
tranny shifts great

The bad
some hail damage
windshield needs replaced
engine has a slight knock at idle but goes away when driving. still has good power though so not sure what it is.
Leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom