SOLD (or trade) Idaho: 1985 Toyota FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
Color
Beige
Here's a pretty low-effort post contemplating selling or trading my FJ60.

I like my 60 a lot. It is a ton of fun to drive. I've rebuilt the knuckles and desmogged it. It's manual steering on a power steering box. The pump was bad when I got it, had been run dry. I think it might have leaked out the steering box.

Steering track bar is set a little wide, needs to come in some. I have a driver's side motor mount that needs to go on and the throttle plate doesn't close well. Timing needs to come back down. The HAC isn't installed, it kind of came apart. I do have a rebuild kit for the carburetor that may or may not fix the throttle issue.

Certainly not your cleanest, nicest FJ60. It's a tri-color. Front passenger door interior is not original at all. No radio. A/C belt isn't on and probably needs to be charged.

Rear main seal is leaking. Has other leaks. I've driven long days on the highway without any issue. There is some small coolant leak now that I need to track down.

Some of my original intent of buying the FJ60 has changed. I do like it a lot, but the interior space really isn't better than say a first generation 4Runner. I know a lot of people feel claustrophobic in the mini-trucks. I really don't mind them at all.

The mileage is just never going to be great on the 60. I do love the 2F motor otherwise though and don't feel like I could ever swap it. But between the motor, the extra width, and height, the frontal area is a lot more than a mini truck and the thing just weighs more. No way it can be as efficient.

I do like the solid leaf sprung axles. The ride isn't so great, but very simple and extremely durable.

The FJ60 is a decent towing vehicle for single axle trailers, but I could probably be alright losing out there to some degree.

I think I might be better off with a 4x4 pickup. Solid axle or IFS (not Tacoma). I think I prefer the single cabs. The 22-RE is a good motor, although certainly down on torque compared to the FJ60. But, a 4x4 pickup would weigh a lot less, even with a topper.

I guess something like the FJ60 that's more economical would be nice. I don't need rear seats. Maybe I won't be sleeping in Walmart parking lots quite as much as I thought, so getting into the camper isn't such a big deal.

I should probably take a couple pictures of it. I think most of it is Beige Metalic which I wasn't able to select. Texas title.

Alright, here's some pictures:

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

Last edited:
Can you post a better picture of the drivers side passenger door where the dent is on the fender? Looks like that needs some decent body work done in that section. I have a 1994 FZJ80 I am considering parting out, but I might be interested in a trade. 297K on the clock.

The good on it.
Lockers
No rust
All electrical works
tranny shifts great

The bad
some hail damage
windshield needs replaced
engine has a slight knock at idle but goes away when driving. still has good power though so not sure what it is.
Leaks

You're right, definitely needs work there. I bought it with a body section that can replace the one that's dented.

Appreciate the offer, but probably not the trade for me.

drivers-side-damage-1.jpg

drivers-side-damage-2.jpg

drivers-side-damage-3.jpg

drivers-side-damage-4.jpg

drivers-side-damage-5.jpg

I found what was holding the idle high on the carburetor and removed it. I made a couple small adjustments, put it back on. Didn't clean it, but have a rebuild kit for it. Slow idle cut switch doesn't seem to be working. Not certain if the second barrel is opening. I tend to think it isn't. I set the ignition timing slightly hotter to make the performance more acceptable. It diesels on shutdown, not sure if the fuel cutoff switch is working. At least you know the compression probably isn't terrible.

The low idle is nice, much better. As it warmed up, it seemed to run worse. I finally figured out that there's an exhaust bolt missing and another almost out. Tightened up the one that was there. I think the gap increases as it warms up.

Whomever did the exhaust headers did a terrible job. Some of the bolts are not OEM. Also seems to be a slow leak from around the waterpump area. I think broke a couple bolt heads off there. That said, I have done hundreds of miles in a day successfully. Just keeping an eye on the coolant would be a good idea. Exhaust headers should probably be redone.

But, running, driving desmogged FJ60. Low rust. Some body damage (see previous pictures). Not the best shape, not the worst.

Would $2,500 work for any of you? Or a 4x4 22RE standard cab pickup (I'm open to putting cash on top). If you want to offer me any less, I want to keep the tires.

Have you been actively trying to sell this? I could be wrong, but it seems like someone will probably pay quite a bit more than $2500 for it, as is.

Have you been actively trying to sell this? I could be wrong, but it seems like someone will probably pay quite a bit more than $2500 for it, as is.

Eh, somewhat. I had been asking $5,000 which was probably too high. I paid $3,500 for it and overall it's in better (or better known) shape since then. I seem to see the FJ60 prices dropping. I had asked for opinions on price and most were closer to the $3-4k range.

I'd definitely take more but I want someone to be able to have a decent value with it.

I posted my 60 on Craigslist and have spent more time driving it. I had so many inquiries on Craigslist. People wanting to drive out of state to buy it and then swap the motor out, for $2,000 or $2,500. I think the motor is fine (other than needing more carburetor work and some oil leaks), seems like that would be a waste to me. It drives straight down the road, 4x4 works, I've done 400 mile a day journeys with it. Frame isn't rusted out.

Decided to raise the price back up. I figure somewhere in the $4,000-5,000 range and I'd be okay with it. Plus or minus a little around breaking even. I also have the original manuals I think covering the whole vehicle. 2F engine, 2F emissions, Land Cruiser body, also I think electrical, and a Haynes that isn't so useful.

Would still prefer to trade for a 1988-1995 standard cab 4x4 pickup with the 22RE. But I'm not in a rush to sell. I don't think the market has fallen out as much as I thought it did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom