Opinions on this water to air intercooler for LJ78 / 2LTE? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You guys have probably seen these, but here are a few photos of a air/water setups that a few of us have built now. And I can say this design works very effectively. Facilitated transformation of my 2LTE from a pathetic anemic fragile thing into a decently capable and powerful engine.

My setup after I first built it:

View attachment 1612754

View attachment 1612755
View attachment 1612757

I see you have taken out the battery or did the LC come with a single battery

On a second thought, it just occurred to me I may not have the option to do the same water to air intercooler setup as you guys even if I wanted to. I just realized that yours cars are all RHD hint it has the space but because mine is LHD and the brake booster will get in the way... I guess it will have to be the L200 top mount for me...better than nothing.

Try this

BIC Intercooler pic.jpg

I like this and minimal piping work but still concerned about core thickness for fitment on top like that. I don’t have a body lift and not sure if it’s necessary.
Is there any more info on this particular one available?

Do you have the dimensions of that intercooler? Did you keep your AC? I'm thinking I'll make something like that for my kzj78
Thanks!

Here is the thread where those pictures came from. Have a read to see if he posted any info: How to Install a Intercooler on a '91 Prado EX5 (2L-TE)?

One thing I can tell you, is 2" piping is PLENTY! It supports 200hp which is more than your 1KZTE will ever make. Smaller piping is easier to fit.

Morning guys! Just curious if you would be willing to share a parts list for everything I would need to install an air/water cooler like you guys have done. Have pretty much done everything else except this and tuning. Wanting to get my egt's down even more as they still get scary high easily. I can fab brackets and whatnot easy enough, and use your pics and guidance along the way. Just not sure what to buy lol. TIA!

hi cruiser heads.. I went the air to air top mount intercooler wit hood scoop as part of my phase 1 mechanical upgrades.. to accomodate the intercooler inlet & outlets I had to rotate the turbo around 95 degrees towards the engine
ROTATED TURBO HOUSING.jpg

& fabricated a new vertical throttle body inlet
CUSTOM THROTTLE BODY INLET & CHAMPAGNE CORK PLUG.jpg

... yes the oil filler on top of the valve cover is hidden - but the brass fittings on the red hose is my new oil fill nozzle. as rotating the turbo relocated the cooling water supply/return & the oil supply/return lines new systems needed to be installed.. the rotated turbo actually has better cooling water & oil flow patterns - as now rather than being free draining (flaw i n original oem design) both systems have a vertical seal loop on the outlets - & the turbo never sees a "dry" start-up. :)
INTERNALLY & EXTERNALLY COATED INTERCOOLER 1.jpg
INTERNALLY & EXTERNALLY THERMAL COATED INTERCOOLER 2.jpg

here's a revised phase 1 upgrades write up I'm working on - omissions will be added as remembered

1990 LJ-78 2L-TE upgrades projects –
Phase I Completed:
Mechanical Upgrades - components were purchased & modified prior to installation:
  • CT20 turbocharger – internally & externally ceramic coated - both exhaust & compressor housings, turbines re-balanced
  • Exhaust manifold – internally & externally ceramic coated
  • Intake manifold - internally & externally ceramic coated
  • Top mount intercooler - internally & externally thermal transfer coated
All coating works were done by Donny at CAPS in Fresno California.
Chassis Modifications
  • New shocks
  • Steering dampner
  • oem rotors (4), brakes & cylinders
  • AVM manual locking hubs
  • 5000# rated tow hitch (welded to chassis)
Additional mechanical mods
  • Snorkel installed
  • K&N air filter installed
  • a/c compressor / brackets / pulleys removed
  • egr system removed (egt & boost sensors installed in custom blanking plates at egr flanges in intake & exhaust manifolds)
  • throttle body main butterfly removed
  • throttle body “small” butterfly & shaft removed (vertical hole in throttle body plugged with champagne bottle cork pressed in past the removed shaft horizontal holes & sealed with hd epoxy)
  • 3” custom mandrel bent exhaust system fabricated and installed downstream of factory downpipe, .with a 3” glasspack muffler (4” outside diameter) and vertical mounted O2 sensor bung.
Controls Upgrades:
  • Zietronics standalone ECM system installed c/w boost/egt & O2 sensors
Phase II Mechanical Upgrades Project
Components:
  • New 3L head is being ported & polished, with bigger valves & ceramic coated, camshaft being reground for maximum reliable low end torque & HP
  • All the kit I removed as part of the phase 1 project is being interior & exterior ceramic coated by Donny.
  • Rebuilt EFI Denso V3 pump
  • New bosch injectors
Additional Phase II components:
  • 3000 psi cat 5 CNG tank (compressed natural gas)
  • Natural gas system flexible & hard pipe as required
  • Initial let down station of 3000 psi to 150 psi
  • Secondary letdown station from 150 psig to 3 psig
  • ECM controlled stepper type flow control valve
  • Custom injection nozzle for upstream of turbo air inlet
  • Integration package for ECM with cng system monitoring readouts

Is that red hose your turbo oil return line ? If so, that will kill your turbo very easily since it will create a restriction on the feed pressure line. Turbo oil return should always be gravity drained and as free flowing as possible! If you need to rotate it you could've rotated just the compressor housing with the core retaining its original position.

Is that red hose your turbo oil return line ? If so, that will kill your turbo very easily since it will create a restriction on the feed pressure line. Turbo oil return should always be gravity drained and as free flowing as possible! If you need to rotate it you could've rotated just the compressor housing with the core retaining its original position.
Hey malteser, your setup looks super clean. Could you provide more info on parts and pieces I would need to do something similar?

You guys have probably seen these, but here are a few photos of a air/water setups that a few of us have built now. And I can say this design works very effectively. Facilitated transformation of my 2LTE from a pathetic anemic fragile thing into a decently capable and powerful engine.

My setup after I first built it:

View attachment 1612754
View attachment 1612755
View attachment 1612757
Man that looks clean! Do you have a parts list I could steal? Really wanting to make this turd come to life. Well, as much as it can lol. Need to do this and tune it like you have done

Basically all the parts that @GTSSportCoupe mentioned in his intercooler write-up. There are all the links and parts list you need.

So I cant find that specific intercooler. I'm sure size is a large factor, but I found this one. Similar design and size but not exactly the same. Thoughts?

Screenshot_20190502-100141_eBay.jpg

I think you misread. Probably you are referring to his heat exchanger. I just looked at the thread again now and it says his is 3.5" thick, and I think mine is 3". Can check for you tomorrow.

This list will get you the high points. I made my throttle body intake. And you will need various piping ,hoses and associated clamps. I also used a relay with onboard fuse for the water pump so it didn't have a separate fuse.
If you can wait a few months you may can buy my entire setup.
I have a couple of things to look into why my engine is behaving the way it is. I suspect that much like Nick's original engine, mine came from Japan with some abuse having already occurred and while I prolonged it for quite a long time with my mods, it finally gave up the head.
Reason I say you possibly could buy mine is, when I get time to tear into it if the head is in fact cracked, I am most likely going to install a 1UZFE in the truck. Seems like an interesting project and the truck is just a toy anyway.
You can see my entire intercooler setup in my build thread in my signature.

Well, my links aren't working on most of this stuff, but I would be happy to share it with you via email of something. Not sure why some aren't working

Amazon.com: Wire Harness Connector For Bosch Water Pumps Adapter Fitting: Garden & Outdoor
Amazon.com: Squirrelly 2.5" to 2" inch Black Silicone Reducer Coupler Turbo Pipe w/ 2x T-Bolt Clamps: Automotive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom