Opinions on most reliable LC Diesel engines. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That troopy at the bottom on Landcruisers Direct looks very Australian with alloy side steps and brown dash carpet. I did hear they re import them from here.

Please excuse/correct me if I’m wrong, but you are the owner of Landcruisersdirect? That’s where I am seeing all these low mileage rigs I’m talking about.

Yes indeed. That's how I know so many lemons are floating around out there. I've even seen trucks that failed radiation tests show up in the US for sale later. If it's for sale by LCD, mileage is confirmed.

That troopy at the bottom on Landcruisers Direct looks very Australian with alloy side steps and brown dash carpet. I did hear they re import them from here.

Yes sir, we look for nice Utes and Troopy's in Australia.

Yes indeed. That's how I know so many lemons are floating around out there. I've even seen trucks that failed radiation tests show up in the US for sale later. If it's for sale by LCD, mileage is confirmed.
Do you ever see any HZJ80s come through?

Do you ever see any HZJ80s come through?

Just so you know, the 80 series had a some very basic models and some that were highly optioned. The basic models, sometimes called UN Landcruisers are common in Australia/ Africa/ Middle East. They are vinyl blue gray interiors and wash out floors with a radio or cassette player if your lucky. Nearly always white with no chrome or stickers, no fg flares and split rims as standard. The front seat is a 3 seater from memory when you fold the armrest up. The rear may have 2 sets of sideways seating.
The Japanese turbo models are referred to as 81 series. I don't think the HZJ80 was a big seller in Japan, seen a few.

Last edited:
Just so you know, the 80 series had a some very basic models and some that were highly optioned. The basic models, sometimes called UN Landcruisers are common in Australia/ Africa/ Middle East. They are vinyl blue gray interiors and wash out floors with a radio or cassette player if your lucky. Nearly always white with no chrome or stickers, no fg flares and split rims as standard. The front seat is a 3 seater from memory when you fold the armrest up. The rear may have 2 sets of sideways seating.
The Japanese turbo models are referred to as 81 series. I don't think the HZJ80 was a big seller in Japan, seen a few.

That’s good to know. I’ve had a few Tacoma’s and a 4Runner but never an LC so I’m trying to get as much info on them as possible so thank you. Call me weird if you want but I tend to like base models more than the high end models as far as looks and interiors are concerned (depending on the vehicle). Never been a fan of a lot of chrome and I really dislike leather seats and all the gimmicky things, but I want lockers so its probably going to be a win/lose situation.

A 1HZ is pretty marginal in an 80 series for North American roads. 1HD-T is more efficient, and makes more power. Less prone to overheating problems too. Just find yourself a nice clean low km HDJ81 from Japan.

HZJ80/HDJ80 is left-hand-drive, HZJ81/HDJ81 would be JDM right-hand drive. "Poverty package" HZJ81's are few and far between in Japan. More common in Australia and the General markets. But usually used and abused. The plush HDJ81 with console fridge, power options and other features is more common in Japan.

HZJ80/HDJ80 is left-hand-drive, HZJ81/HDJ81 would be JDM right-hand drive. "Poverty package" HZJ81's are few and far between in Japan. More common in Australia and the General markets. But usually used and abused. The plush HDJ81 with console fridge, power options and other features is more common in Japan.

Thank you for the info. Would you go with a 1FZFE or a 1HDT here in Utah? Just your opinion?

Thank you for the info. Would you go with a 1FZFE or a 1HDT here in Utah? Just your opinion?

I could have pretty much any cruiser I wanted and I have an HDJ81. What's best for you depends on a variety of things that are specific to your use and situation.

I could have pretty much any cruiser I wanted and I have an HDJ81. What's best for you depends on a variety of things that are specific to your use and situation.
Coming from the owner of landcruisersdirect that’s good to hear. I’d be using it occasionally as an adventure rig for long trips. I would NOT be daily driving it as I already have something for that.

Just out of curiosity, have you had any issues with the truck since you got it? Big end bearings, ACSD?

Would you guys say that the 1HD-T is more reliable than the 1FZ-FE? Which is the better motor all around in your opinion.

About reliability I would same are the same .. actually ( owing them ) out of the belt vs gear driving timing thing I'll said both are very reliable . . I have my 2H over half million km ( well over ) now ..

Just out of curiosity, have you had any issues with the truck since you got it? Big end bearings, ACSD?

I change the connecting rod bearings in every truck, never had a problem, although I have seen them fail in other people's trucks where they haven't been changed. I removed the ACSD on mine but none of my trucks have had any problems. Just regular maintenance so far on 50,000km in the last 18 months. A 20+ year old truck is as reliable as you make it with preventive maintenance and frequent inspection.

I have seen 3L, 1HZ's, 1PZ's and 2LT's in Latin America with way over 500,000kms. Never rebuilt and still trugging along. I seen one HJ80 (1HZ) with 1,860,000kms on it and the owner claimed the motor had only just been rebuilt. I seen an HJ47 with 890,000kms on it, there was a hole worn in the steel gas pedal from the drivers foot! I also saw a 2H 60-series with 875,000kms on it in a junkyard.

Down there, anything under 400,000kms is considered fairly low mile. And honestly, for a 25yr old truck, 400,000kms is 10,000 miles a year which is considered low use here in the USA. Anything under 10,000 miles a year is considered extra low use. On average, Americans drive 20,000 miles a year. This info is readily available on the net in terms of miles per year and what is considered low miles per year as a standard.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom