One More H55F Install - Final List (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Remove and reinstall both as a unit. Rent/buy a tranny jack makes it much easier, as well as an extra set of hands, or two.

Rebuilding the T'case while it's out? Highly recommend.

Lots of info in the FAQ and on various posts.

Good luck and start a thread and take some pix.

There she sits. A new H55F 5 speed, waiting for me to get off my duff and install. I just juiced up the 2F engine: bored out cylinders, knive edge crank, man-a-fre RV cam, milled head, ported and polished intakes and exhaust, headers, anything resembling smog control removed. Then added Throttle Body Injection by Performance Fuel Injection. Runs great, except on highway, where it is permanently in the slow lane. So I decided to add the 5 speed.

I will pull tranny/transfer case as a unit. I believe, despite the miles, (270K), this not too many miles offroad before I got it. So, I will try to avoid a rebuild on the TC, unless it has signs of wear. Oil looked good when I had the tranny out to do the engine.

Any advice?

H-55T Trans.JPG

Buy/Rent/Borrow a good transmission jack. Rebuild the transfercase on the workbench, not under the truck.

If there's 270 K on the t'case (It's still spinning even though not off road), you'll kick yourself twice if you don't do it now and it has to come out again later. These case are very easy (relatively) to rebuild and much easier with not doing it under the truck.

Quality Rebuild kits for 85-90 are around $300.

You've got the oiler cup and the bit 'n pieces to tap and cap the case, yes?

Ensure that the new transmission can shift through all the gears before you install it. During shipping vibration and jostling, the reverse idler gear can slide into the reverse position but the shift fork will not be in reverse. If this happens, it will be impossible to shift the gears until the shift fork is repositioned...which usually entails removing the top case and pushing it back where it should be.

The tech, Kurt, at SOR did advise changing 2 copper thrust washers and one shaft and 2 O-rings, which I have on order. So I am going to open it up and make sure the bearings and gears are ok and I will replace if needed. I did get the oiler cup with the tranny. I will get a bronze tapered plug for the oil hole in the case. This is all good info. Thanks to I h8 mud and you guys.
I will stick the shifter in and run through the gears to make sure they are aligned also.

Kurt just wants to sell you a T'case, later ... :D

Ikid.

Ok - I don't want to be a harpy, particularly if money is the issue, but you're gonna have to buy a gasket kit, seals, and the washers and idler shaft mentioned above, so all you're really buying additionally is the bearings as everything else mentioned comes in the good rebuild kits. The kits (Terrain Tamer) also come with the upgraded seal that helps prevent fluid transfer between trans and t'case.

I don't care if the bearings 'look' good. They're 30 years old and have gone through a zillion heat cycles and have 270K miles on 'em. A rebuild kit is a lot cheaper than finding and replacing a transf case. You've already spent a small fortune on the H55f, why not do it once, do it right.

Rant over and out.

Good Luck.

Kurt just wants to sell you a T'case, later ... :D

Ikid.

Ok - I don't want to be a harpy, particularly if money is the issue, but you're gonna have to buy a gasket kit, seals, and the washers and idler shaft mentioned above, so all you're really buying additionally is the bearings as everything else mentioned comes in the good rebuild kits. The kits (Terrain Tamer) also come with the upgraded seal that helps prevent fluid transfer between trans and t'case.

I don't care if the bearings 'look' good. They're 30 years old and have gone through a zillion heat cycles and have 270K miles on 'em. A rebuild kit is a lot cheaper than finding and replacing a transf case. You've already spent a small fortune on the H55f, why not do it once, do it right.

Rant over and out.

Good Luck.
Hate to sound like an importer/distributor, but the Terrain Tamer Transfer Case Kits - TK4 (34mm) and TK5 (38mm) - are available at Cruiser Brothers installing shops and resellers at retail for $249 - call @beno, @orangefj45, @OTRAMM (here), @ACC Toyota, @torfab, Chris at 49 Tire, Cruiser Parts and Cruiser or Cruiser Yard, among others.

Just sayin.... :)

Bearings and idler shaft included!

We also offer rebuild kits for 2, 4 and 5 speed Toyota transmissions, including the H55.

PS - The Cruiser Brothers marketing geek (me) is clearly doing a crappy job of getting the word out. Will try and do a better job in 2017! ;)

upload_2016-12-8_16-56-4.png

Even better! Fewer shekels !

In case no one has brought up yet :D, rebuild the t-case while it's out. It's not hard and you'll be half way there anyway with installing it on the H55F. I recently did a t-case rebuild with a Terrain Tamer kit, got it from @beno but other sellers are closer to AZ. The one item not included that you may need are shims to set pre-load.

Since you have an early "H55 ready" model (4/85), be sure to check the clearance between the front bearing retainer on the H55 and the bell housing. Some early 3F bell housings have the newer transmission clocking but inadequate clearance for the bearing retainer. I've read about this problem cropping up as late as 10/85, but have no idea how common it is.

It's a quick and easy fix with an angle grinder while it's all apart if you know you need to do it; it's a damper on your day of wrenching when you have to pull it all back out again because the transmission won't seat against the bell housing.

DSC_4297 small.jpg

Approximate location where the housing needs to be relieved is shown below in blue sharpie.

DSC_4306 small.jpg

Final test fit on the H55 before reinstalling. I had to relieve a little at the top in addition to the points on the side.

DSC_4317 small.jpg

You'll definitely want to rebuild that Tcase if it has that many miles on it ...... and since it'll already be torn apart for the conversion, it makes absolutely no sense not to go thru the Tcase.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

One other thing: Make sure the NEW pilot bearing slips on and off the snout of the input shaft before installing the tranny and bearing into crank. May have to take an emery cloth to the snout to make it slip fit. It's been known to cause much frustration and stifle even the best installs and even damage the bearing when forced.

Hate to sound like an importer/distributor, but the Terrain Tamer Transfer Case Kits - TK4 (34mm) and TK5 (38mm) - are available at Cruiser Brothers installing shops and resellers at retail for $249 - call @beno, @orangefj45, @OTRAMM (here), @ACC Toyota, @torfab, Chris at 49 Tire, Cruiser Parts and Cruiser or Cruiser Yard, among others.

Just sayin.... :)

Bearings and idler shaft included!

We also offer rebuild kits for 2, 4 and 5 speed Toyota transmissions, including the H55.

PS - The Cruiser Brothers marketing geek (me) is clearly doing a crappy job of getting the word out. Will try and do a better job in 2017! ;)

View attachment 1363679
ok, i will bite on the rebuild kit with all new bearings.

will do
One other thing: Make sure the NEW pilot bearing slips on and off the snout of the input shaft before installing the tranny and bearing into crank. May have to take an emery cloth to the snout to make it slip fit. It's been known to cause much frustration and stifle even the best installs and even damage the bearing when forced.

Wow....I can't believe it's been a year since doing the H55F....Sorry about no updates.

It runs great. Just days after the install I took the 60 out to Colorado for a week and ran Imogene Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Cumberland Pass, Tin Cup Pass, Georgia Pass and a whole lot of two lanes and camping...I love the drive ability of the H55F with the 33's.

My summer project this year with Exrsa1's help, is 4.56 gears and ARB's in the front and rear.

I highly recommend the H55F to anyone.

Sorry, but the wheels/tires and 4spd all sold.

Take care.
View attachment 333000View attachment 333001View attachment 333002
Who's tire carrier do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom