One More H55F Install - Final List (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The install went great. We removed the old tranny, rebuilt the transfercase, mated it to the new H55f and got it all back installed in two long evenings. The only issue we had was the shimming for the correct preload. Turned out two of the shims were stuck together, and once we figured that out, we got the correct preload and all was well. Had a slight vibration, but once he tightened the driveshaft bolts :doh: all was well. Yes that was my fault.

He did a trip a week later to Colorado, and it did great. Hopefully he will post up, and tell us what he is doing next. BIG upgrade!

Ex

Oh yeah, the wheels/tires have sold.

So you switched usernames at some point? I was confused for a second.

Last edited:
No you wouldn't do something like that would you???

Ok, so then we did MWalls54's H55f before Moab, and I did the same thing...... :bang:

We also pulled it out a second time since the rear main I put in leaked. He has put some miles on it now as well, and all is fine.

Ex

No, I helped him and MWalls do their's.

Exrsa1

Gotcha. I agree, the H55 is pretty much the best bang for the buck that you can get for these old trucks.

So you switched usernames at some point? I was confused for a second.

nope exrsa1 and britklr are two different people lol kinda. exrsa is the local grease monkey here in KC.

Wow....I can't believe it's been a year since doing the H55F....Sorry about no updates.

It runs great. Just days after the install I took the 60 out to Colorado for a week and ran Imogene Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Cumberland Pass, Tin Cup Pass, Georgia Pass and a whole lot of two lanes and camping...I love the drive ability of the H55F with the 33's.

My summer project this year with Exrsa1's help, is 4.56 gears and ARB's in the front and rear.

I highly recommend the H55F to anyone.

Sorry, but the wheels/tires and 4spd all sold.

Take care.
2008 Colorado Trip 005.jpg
2008 Colorado Trip 022.jpg
2008 Colorado Trip 091.jpg

nope exrsa1 and britklr are two different people lol kinda. exrsa is the local grease monkey here in KC.

Does ex work at a shop? If so which one? Been trying to find a cruiser mechanic for a while whenever I need one.

-Carl

:cheers:

-Carl

I see you went a got a press too.. good job !!! Did yours have a hard time shifting into 3rd. If you don't hit the RPM's just right it is easy to miss 3rd so I double clutch most of the time.

Mark

I see you went a got a press too.. good job !!! Did yours have a hard time shifting into 3rd. If you don't hit the RPM's just right it is easy to miss 3rd so I double clutch most of the time.

Mark

Hi Mark-

It doesn't appear to have any problems going into third...I do notice that when it's cold (trans fluid) it takes a little extra effort running through the gears, but once it's warmed up it shifts great. I figure it's because it's a new tranny.

How's your rig running?

Mark

I miss third occasionally, but I think it's because I'm having trouble getting used to the RHD shifter I have. Does it usually grind when going into third or is it just stiff?

you guys my want to try amsoil MT90 in the tranny. It works well and has made mine much easier to shift.. expensive, but good stuff.

-Marco

Gents, I've read about an oil line that's needed for the H55 and see in the original post the part number for a nipple? Can anyone offer an explanation of what this is about?

Since this thread has been re-activated I'm going to put my questions here.

Last edited:
nevermind...thanks?

Last edited:
My new H55T 5 speed Tranny is sitting in the garage. Ready to install in my April 1985 FJ60. Psyching myself up for the install. I appreciate the postings how to's. Split the transfer case/tranny and then remove? Use a transmission jack or a cherry picker through the floor plate opening? Remove and reinstall both as a unit?
Old 4 speed and new 5 speed are same length so no driveshaft mods required. Any advice appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom